Drop goal after FK taken as scrum

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A weekend off the whistle so I watched an NL1 game at the weekend up north. Scrum to white just outside the 22. Early engagement by green - FK to white. They chose the scrum being pretty dominant. White get a shove on and drive it a few metres with ball at the base. White SH ships it out to their fly half while Green SH attemps to go for the ball but doesn't get a hand near. White FH drop kicks the ball between the uprights and over the crossbar. Drop goal awarded.

Am I right in thinking this should not have been allowed - as per the definition in Law 9 A 1 - or have I missed something? I appreciate it is very arcane law so I'm not entirely sure. One of those once-every-few-years scenarios...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A weekend off the whistle so I watched an NL1 game at the weekend up north. Scrum to white just outside the 22. Early engagement by green - FK to white. They chose the scrum being pretty dominant. White get a shove on and drive it a few metres with ball at the base. White SH ships it out to their fly half while Green SH attemps to go for the ball but doesn't get a hand near. White FH drop kicks the ball between the uprights and over the crossbar. Drop goal awarded.

Am I right in thinking this should not have been allowed - as per the definition in Law 9 A 1 - or have I missed something? I appreciate it is very arcane law so I'm not entirely sure. One of those once-every-few-years scenarios...

Oh Christ noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :mad:

Sorry Bungle. I would say no it's not allowed however in a Dennis Wheatley type way you may well have summoned a creature from the South West that will now bore us all shitless for the next two weeks. :biggrin:

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Oh Christ noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :mad:

Sorry Bungle. I would say no it's not allowed however in a Dennis Wheatley type way you may well have summoned a creature from the South West that will now bore us all shitless for the next two weeks. :biggrin:

MODS please hide this post from our Cornish Pirate:Nerv:

By the way the general opinion is that your NL ref made a cock up, i trust the game wasn't won by 3 points:cool:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Am I right in thinking this should not have been allowed - as per the definition in Law 9 A 1 - or have I missed something? I appreciate it is very arcane law so I'm not entirely sure. One of those once-every-few-years scenarios...
I had nightmares about this happening in a game I was reffing - it's in THIS thread.

What it boils down to is this
  1. The can't score a drop goal from a FK because
  2. The ball hasn't been touched by an opponnent first
  3. If they do kick it - treat it just like any other kick through in-goal ie 22DO with a scrum back option.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
green hooker clearly got a foot to the ball while it was still in the scrum. correct decision.

:biggrin: :p :wink:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
green hooker clearly got a foot to the ball while it was still in the scrum. correct decision.

:biggrin: :p :wink:

Wrong - in my view.

Needs to be played by an opponent after the scrum is over, same as after the kick is over.

See long and inconclusive thread somewhere; I can't be arsed to find it.

File this with Forward passes.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Wrong - in my view. Needs to be played by an opponent after the scrum is over, same as after the kick is over.

See long and inconclusive thread somewhere; I can't be arsed to find it.

File this with Forward passes.
Judging by DCs smilies, I think he was suggesting a possible get out clause for the ref. :Zip:

And I think the "long and inconclusive thread" may have been mine .... mentioned in Post 5. :eek:

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes
Nah - not that one. Ther's another one somewhere that deals exactly with the scrum instead of kick option and drop goals.

Point is it ISN'T a get out clause - in my view, because touching the ball in the scrum doesn't count.

See the thread. If you can find it.:)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with Davet both in the substance of his view and that it is not worth pursuing further.

Dave Clark was just stirring.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
This sounds worryingly familiar...

Was it the Yorkshire derby??

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes, Mr Jackson, it was indeed...

there but for the grace of god go us all :biggrin:

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Oh well - assessor missed it too!

Weird game wasn't it? Wharfedale very disappointing.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
no score, incorrectly given.

oh I wish I had been the assessor - I haven't seen a drop goal all season !

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
no score, incorrectly given.

oh I wish I had been the assessor - I haven't seen a drop goal all season !

You should have come to my level 14 match on Saturday, it was a beauty!

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
. . . the old ones/one's are always the best.:clap: :clap: :clap:

PS. What happens if the ball's not put in straight into an uncontested scrum?

Do you wait for the opposition to channel it back across the tunnel so's not to waste too much time?

I ask because, should the answer be yes, it's a perfect opportunity for the FK scrum option. Then the law would allow the the ensuing DK.

But that's where the law 'as she is writ' differs from refs' interpretation 'as she is rote'. :biggrin: :clap:

Before you all go, please confirm for me and any rookie refs listening:

If the ball is taken against the head and squirts out the back of the opponent's FK scrum option before their SH or 8 can touch it and a DK is put over, does that kick register 3pts?:Nerv:

PPS . . . and who was it that said I didn't know the LoG ? Huh and Pshaw to you both.:mad:

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes
Not for me - the opponents must play the ball after the scrum is completed. Playing it in the scrum doesn't count.
Same as playing the ball after the kick.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Not for me - the opponents must play the ball after the scrum is completed. Playing it in the scrum doesn't count.
Same as playing the ball after the kick.

:confused: My query, Davet was exactly that ie., If the ball is taken against the head and squirts out the back of the opponent's FK scrum option before their SH or 8 can touch it and a DK is put over, does that kick register 3pts?

The law states the scrum is over when it emerges, irrespective of which side handles it.:hap:

You've got it in for me. :sad: