Yellow Card for Crooked Feed

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A couple of weeks ago, the referee of the grade team I coach (4th grade Suburaban) warned my team about repeated infringements.

The next infringement happened to be my scrum half putting an incorrect feed into a scrum. The referee yellow carded my scrum half, but only awarded a short arm (as per the LOTG).

I spoke to the referee (who is reasonably experienced) after the game, and simply pointed out that the incorrect feed was the next infringement, and he had said that the next infringement was getting a yellow card.

Do you think the referee was right, or should he have waited for the next penalty infringement?

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
He talked himself into a corner by saying it was definitely a yellow for next infringement, but once he had done that he was correct issue one.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see the problem of backing yourself into a corner a people put it, if you are going to carry it out.

They had their warning so he was correct.

Although, if the warning was for PK infringements then he should have waited until a PK or class the feed as deliberate and PK +YC :D

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't see the problem of backing yourself into a corner a people put it, if you are going to carry it out.
It is unnecessary, and does not come with the necessary caveats. You may decide that the next offence was of the wrong type, or not serious enough to justify action etc. You can make the point clear enough without being too specific.

If the warning was based on offences at the breakdown, then IMHO a YC for a crooked feed was wrong. I would congratulate the referee on spotting and penalising a crooked feed, but disagree with the YC.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is unnecessary, and does not come with the necessary caveats. You may decide that the next offence was of the wrong type, or not serious enough to justify action etc. You can make the point clear enough without being too specific.

True, but anymore and someone will go to the bin is, but,

The next offence in this area will go to the bin. (now that is backing me into a corner, yes, but I will bin the next offence in this area, so why not say it) Sure I could say, think about where you are captain, you know what may happen, or I am running out of options and you know where I may have to go.

If I am certain, say of a high tackle, one warning, the next high tackle will go to the bin. Well then they are going, simples, even if its 40mins later, so why not be specific.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

The next offence in this area will go to the bin. (now that is backing me into a corner, yes, but I will bin the next offence in this area, so why not say it) Sure I could say, think about where you are captain, you know what may happen, or I am running out of options and you know where I may have to go.

If I am certain, say of a high tackle, one warning, the next high tackle will go to the bin. Well then they are going, simples, even if its 40mins later, so why not be specific.

High tackles vary greatly and are not all equally culpable. You are not being specific about the type of high tackle that will earn a YC. Since it is unnecessary and can lead to misunderstanding ("but you said you would yellow card the next high tackle!") I see no gain in doing it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Andy - I look forward to our post match chat when you make North Group and you come down to the South West on an exchange.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Next offence to me is a penalty offence, not a FK one which is just a technical error.

I think he was pedantic and/or harsh.

Simon, when are you coming out to Aus to watch one of my games? Weather's beautiful here at the start of Sept!

lol.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If he did the 9 for feeding after telling players about repeat offending then the YC should have had PK with it - do him for deliberate feeding, after all you can't be that bad that you are unable to put in straight if you try.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
do him for deliberate feeding, after all you can't be that bad that you are unable to put in straight if you try.

I can think of one scrum half that would argue that it is quite possible to do that :wink:

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
A couple of weeks ago, the referee of the grade team I coach (4th grade Suburaban) warned my team about repeated infringements.

The next infringement happened to be my scrum half putting an incorrect feed into a scrum. The referee yellow carded my scrum half, but only awarded a short arm (as per the LOTG).

I spoke to the referee (who is reasonably experienced) after the game, and simply pointed out that the incorrect feed was the next infringement, and he had said that the next infringement was getting a yellow card.

Do you think the referee was right, or should he have waited for the next penalty infringement?
Would've been harsh if he YC'd a player for knocking on ...

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

So a couple of girls in the backs try a fancy move and you ping um for obstruction (crossing for the arm chair refs:wink: ) and you're going to bin one of them??

Like to see you sale that one to the assessor:= :D

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If it's the 875th time they've done it, then yes!!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy im sure Simon will be fair and surprized at the way you actually referee rather than your pronouncements on here

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Nice to see no prejudging going on :D

oh none at all - much :biggrin: if all of what you say on here is true, there will be little chance of us meeting at L5 :Zip:

and if you wear long undershorts, white / pink boots, or have a plastic whistle, don't bother coming through passport control at the Watford Gap. :nono:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
oh none at all - much :biggrin: if all of what you say on here is true, there will be little chance of us meeting at L5 :Zip:

and if you wear long undershorts, white / pink boots, or have a plastic whistle, don't bother coming through passport control at the Watford Gap. :nono:

That is true, I will be straight onto the panel :wow:

Long undershorts only in winter ;) yellow boots not white so that is ok.

Saying that the new hoops to jump through for the North Group I doubt anyone will get on.