Warburton Red Card - IRB Directive

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2059102.html#irb+issues+statement+tip+spear+tackle

This makes clear what we have been discussing regarding Warburton's red card.

- The player is lifted and then forced or ‘speared’ into the ground (red card offence)

- The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety (red card offence)

- For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles a yellow card or penalty may be considered sufficient

This easily covers Warburton's red.:rc:

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yep and, based on the independent judicial officer's prior decisions, I expect to see Warburton gone for at least 3 weeks (likely 4 or 5).

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Yep, does it for me!

In fact, pretty much what I said in the article.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Yep and, based on the independent judicial officer's prior decisions, I expect to see Warburton gone for at least 3 weeks (likely 4 or 5).

I expect 6 weeks, but reduced to 4 for first offence.

Sheddy

Post Likes
The offense was yellow. It felt like a yellow. It looked like a yellow. Rolland was in a rush to give a red because he wanted it to be red. His father is French for goodness sake. It is a terribel appointment by teh IRb as it opens up the opportunity for controversy. Warburton did not spear him; he dropped him, slowly, from about six inches on to his back. The French piled in after and thre punches, is punching not a cardable offense? Rolland did what he wanted to do. He was emotive and he was wrong.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The offense was yellow. It felt like a yellow. It looked like a yellow. Rolland was in a rush to give a red because he wanted it to be red. His father is French for goodness sake. It is a terribel appointment by teh IRb as it opens up the opportunity for controversy. Warburton did not spear him; he dropped him, slowly, from about six inches on to his back. The French piled in after and thre punches, is punching not a cardable offense? Rolland did what he wanted to do. He was emotive and he was wrong.

Welcome to the forum.
Just for the record, what you just posted was, unfortunately, total rubbish.
Cheers.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Welcome to the forum.
Just for the record, what you just posted was, unfortunately, total rubbish.
Cheers.

Indeed.

Welcome Sheddy.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes

If you think that's six inches your wife must be pleased!!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He just got three weeks.

And the statements about Rolland are not just wrong but obviously ignorant.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
How do you drop someone slowly?! Newton is turning in his grave.

Lol, exactly what I thought when I read the post. Warburton obviously used his jedi/harry potter skills to slow Clerc's fall. In which case why didn't he use those same skills to influence Rolland not to give him a RC? Obviously he only uses his special skills for very selfless reasons. Knight the man I say.

bill_d

Rugby Fan
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What of Cahui on Cooper in todays game (25 mins)? Presumably Joubert thought there was nothing serious in it and let the game flow, as Rolland could have done - or maybe yellow at worst. Rolland had options and he chose the worst possible one - he should apologise.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Come on Bill_d, don't ask the same question in several forums, just leads to lots of forums all saying the same thing and everyone getting confused. :D

bill_d

Rugby Fan
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Come on Bill_d, don't ask the same question in several forums, just leads to lots of forums all saying the same thing and everyone getting confused. :D

Fair do's - just looking for an answer!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What of Cahui on Cooper in todays game (25 mins)? Presumably Joubert thought there was nothing serious in it and let the game flow, as Rolland could have done - or maybe yellow at worst. Rolland had options and he chose the worst possible one - he should apologise.

OK, here's your answer. Kahui did not lift Cooper up and turn him over, and therein lies the difference between that tackle and the one Warburton was sent off for.

Warburton's tackle was dangerous (he has just been given a three week suspension), Kahui's was not... its that simple.

There are numerous postings on these forums of the Spear Tackle memorandum, but if you haven't seen it, here is a downloadable copy for you

View attachment Spear Tackle Memorandum.pdf

I suggest you read it.

bill_d

Rugby Fan
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, here's your answer. Kahui did not lift Cooper up and turn him over, and therein lies the difference between that tackle and the one Warburton was sent off for.

Warburton's tackle was dangerous (he has just been given a three week suspension), Kahui's was not... its that simple.

There are numerous postings on these forums of the Spear Tackle memorandum, but if you haven't seen it, here is a downloadable copy for you

View attachment 1793

I suggest you read it.

That's not an answer - Cooper was "lifted from ground", Cooper was "tipped horizontally", Cooper was "dropped to the ground".

Perhaps a systemic inability to read memos is what has led to such inconsistent refereeing performances?

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Warburton obviously used his jedi/harry potter skills to slow Clerc's fall. In which case why didn't he use those same skills to influence Rolland not to give him a RC?

Of course what he should have said to AR is

"These are not the cards you are looking for, move along!"