Joubert

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thought he was unusually poor- looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights.

Would feel very unhappy if I was French, a few high tackles missed and some rather inconsistent breakdown interpretation- turned into a bit of a free for all at some points.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I agree he was fairly inconsistent when it came to the breakdown.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
An absolute weak performance by Craig Joubert. He became Bryce Lawrence. Rucks became a free for all, because Joubert allowed them to. He was too weak to blow a high tackle penalty and there were numerous ones to call. He was far too weak to blow penalties because the rucks were a free for all, and McCaw and Kaino were offside and off their feet at nearly every contestable ruck. He was too weak to blow penalties at the scrums unless they were conveniently located.

Joubert will be on the wrong side of history here. I quote Tony Blair in a PMQ's session to then PM John Major, "Weak, Weak, Weak".

Reality is, we saw a referee who the French had prepared their game plan for. Very disciplined and structured game I may point out. While NZ just played to Joubert's weakness.

Sadly when the big calls needed making. Craig Joubert wasn't their to make them.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surprised by the two non calls for high tackles. Comparisons to Bryce are way off the mark.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Surprised by the two non calls for high tackles. Comparisons to Bryce are way off the mark.

Yeah your right. Bryce was/is at least half remotely consistent. This bloke wasn't. It was a free for all at the ruck and boy he wasn't exactly consistent.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I think you lot are not taking into account how hard that game would have been for all on the pitch, that players and Craig will be breathing out of their arses after that game, probably 10 times harder than the hardest game we have ever been involved in.

Take that into account, even for the fittest of referees, which Craig is, it's a bloody tough game!

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you lot are not taking into account how hard that game would have been for all on the pitch, that players and Craig will be breathing out of their arses after that game, probably 10 times harder than the hardest game we have ever been involved in.

Take that into account, even for the fittest of referees, which Craig is, it's a bloody tough game!

True, but he's done hard games before (GN and 3N deciders) and acquitted himself very well- a high tackle is a high tackle at the end of the day; was surprised how much he missed today.

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I knew it was going to be a rough night for the French in the 4th minute. Richie McCaw makes a tackle, doesn't release, doesn't roll away. French player tries to push through a squeeze ball, but can't because McCaw is in the road - result: penalty to NZ.

He was way to inconsistant at rucks and mauls, and as has been pointed out, it became a free for all.

The sad thing is, we saw this exact game last week, while Rolland refereed a very good game. Yet Joubert got the nod.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I knew it was going to be a rough night for the French in the 4th minute. Richie McCaw makes a tackle, doesn't release, doesn't roll away. French player tries to push through a squeeze ball, but can't because McCaw is in the road - result: penalty to NZ.

He was way to inconsistant at rucks and mauls, and as has been pointed out, it became a free for all.

The sad thing is, we saw this exact game last week, while Rolland refereed a very good game. Yet Joubert got the nod.

I think it is absolutely criminal that Wayne Barnes was not refereeing this or any other playoffs. Barnes is the most consistent. You know what your getting. However the NZ media prevented this from happening.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah your right. Bryce was/is at least half remotely consistent. This bloke wasn't. It was a free for all at the ruck and boy he wasn't exactly consistent.

Oh dear. If you think that performance and Bryce's are on the same level, you really need some pointers.

Aphrodite007

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you look at the comment sections of nearly all the 'neutral' newspaper articles 80% mention the referee in some way- I was screaming at my TV at one point at the number of high tackles/ McCaw infringements that were missed.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
. Barnes is the most consistent. You know what your getting. However the NZ media prevented this from happening.

The criticism he wore on this site for Friday's performance would suggest he was Joubertesque.

As for your NZ media comment, with as much respect as I can muster that is absolute crap - back up the comment with examples if you can!

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The criticism he wore on this site for Friday's performance would suggest he was Joubertesque.

As for your NZ media comment, with as much respect as I can muster that is absolute crap - back up the comment with examples if you can!

I wish I could. I was just in NZ, and there media was looking to savage Barnes wherever it could. I should have kept the NZ Herald, but I didn't think I should pack such trash into my overcrowded suitcase. After the Wales vs SA game he was savaged for not going to the TMO. There was one article which was actually pulled after quite an attack on him about not being up to it. There was the Argentina vs Scotland game where he apparently missed an offside (I am lead to believe it wasn't actually offside) there was the TV which I watched in the evening which was making it a huge deal especially on their dedicated Rugby shows (not Reunion that was class IMO). The NZ media is absolute tripe when it came to attacking this bloke. Believe me, I was there. It was apparent.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
No one doubts the Nz media gives Barnes heaps what we do doubt is if that caused him not to get more KO games.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I wish I could. I was just in NZ, and there media was looking to savage Barnes wherever it could. I should have kept the NZ Herald, but I didn't think I should pack such trash into my overcrowded suitcase. After the Wales vs SA game he was savaged for not going to the TMO. There was one article which was actually pulled after quite an attack on him about not being up to it. There was the Argentina vs Scotland game where he apparently missed an offside (I am lead to believe it wasn't actually offside) there was the TV which I watched in the evening which was making it a huge deal especially on their dedicated Rugby shows (not Reunion that was class IMO). The NZ media is absolute tripe when it came to attacking this bloke. Believe me, I was there. It was apparent.

Wasn't he savaged all around the world re the Wales/SA issue?

What you seem to be implying is that the Refs Appointment panel lack integrity and are subject to and give into outside influence.

Incidentally I live here and read most that was written re the RWC both published in NZ & a lot of worldwide online articles

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
No one doubts the Nz media gives Barnes heaps what we do doubt is if that caused him not to get more KO games.

He got zero Knock Out games... He was far better than Walsh or Owens or Rolland.

Joubert was excellent until the RWC Final. He probably deserved to be awarded the RWC Final, however Barnes deserved more games.

Dubairef

Post Likes
Craig unfortunately went missing around the ruck area (which is strange for him). Much has been said below about his leniency on the AB players on the ground and i thought as much myself.. During the last 20 mins when the French were camped inside the AB half, there were plenty of opportunities for PK's but i dont think he was of a mindset to be able to give the PK. Perhaps the crowd and occasion (and the lack of oxygen in the brain as pointed out above) forced the hesitation. Of further note was the number of offsides one off the ruck as the French looked to keep the ball tight at certain times. One PK would have fixed this but it never came. Picking a PK late in the match for either of these offences would have drawn criticism as he lacked policing it all night. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Souljahs_Coach

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
I have to say if I was French I'd probably feel hard done by, but there's no doubt that up until the final the AB's have been the best team in the tournament and the history book will show the AB's as the winners.

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I had been wanting an All Black win all WC based on the rugby they were playing. 5 mins into the game and I was rooting for France. Dissapointed to see the french pinged for not releasing when McCaw was still wrapped around their legs.