Boot advice needed for achilles injury - new ref

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi All,
my first post. After returning to refereeing after a 16 year lay off I've had a series of niggling injuries that started in the glute on my right (piriformis) worked its way down to a 'tweeked' hamstring, then a tight calf(lateral, perineals) and then at the beginning of December it erupted into full blow achilles tendonitis, all on the right side (still not running but hope to do so by the weekend). It had been threatening to do so for a few weeks prior but I stuck my head in the sand. I should know better as I've had achilles and calf problems for 12 years now. I have orthotics, was wearing them at the time but the chiropodist said they were designed for hard ground and cricket (he's made me some temporary devices to compensate for the soft turf until the tendonitis has calmed down). I'm very much used to sprinting, twisting and turning, and I'm quite fit. I have even been doing weighted one legged calf/heel dips off a step since Feb 2011 (straight and bent legged). So I thought I was fully prepared but the chiropodist said the soft turf and a poor rugby boot (asics tigerrug ex jp: lined with cardboard!) were to blame.

To rule out any biomechanical problems I need to change my boots for some that have much more torsional rigidity so when you grab them at the heel and toe and twist in opposite directions they resist the deformation. It would be good to hear from any chiropodists, physios or anyone else who has had to change their boots for similar reasons. What boots would you suggest and recommend? I've heard of the new asics range (my cricket shoes are asics and are superb!) and that they have a heel gradient. Does anyone use them and have they helped solve any calf/achilles problems. WOuld anyone else recommend any other rugby boot manufacturer?

Looking forward to hearing your comments. Cheers in advance.

Sarge

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for that but the page said, "you do not have permission to access this page".

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
not sure how the mods work verifying that you are a referee. but as soon as they send out an inspector, have your series of interviews, blood work, cornea laser, proper ID and you surrender your passport, with the $300 non refundable application fee - I'm sure they will flip the switch.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
not sure how the mods work verifying that you are a referee. but as soon as they send out an inspector, have your series of interviews, blood work, cornea laser, proper ID and you surrender your passport, with the $300 non refundable application fee - I'm sure they will flip the switch.

You do now. :biggrin:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Either get a pair of Asics Tigoers or get any old boot with a pair of orthotics to wear as well.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
lined with cardboard!

To rule out any biomechanical problems I need to change my boots for some that have much more torsional rigidity so when you grab them at the heel and toe and twist in opposite directions they resist the deformation.

Use thicker cardboard.

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ah, switch has been flipped. I can see the thread now. Looks like asics lethal seem to be very popular. Do they come in different types of studs/cleats?

Use thicker cardboard
Well, just tried stuffing a leftover cardboard box from christmas down them. Parcel tape got in the way! I mean, who thought of using cardboard in an asics boot! I wondered why they stunk so much after their first use! Or was that my refereeing? (that was a rhetorical Q)

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've just ordered some Asics Tigreor 3's (moulded not the full stud - I might get the full stud too if I get on with them). I've had calf pulls for a while now (tight calf muscles apparently) and the Podiatrist recommended Asics as a boot that will aid this (as well as exercises and orthotics) since they have the heel gradient built in. I haven't got them yet but I'll let you know what happens once they've arrived.

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes, the heel gradient seems like a good idea, should take the strain off the achilles and calf.

Out of interest, do people prefer moulded to stud - even on soft turf. Anyone notice a difference where achilles and calves are concerned?

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As a player I probably wore my full studs for most matches in the UK, and my moulded for the occasional one on firmish ground (and my moulded all the time when deployed since most pitches where the navy ships tend to play were sand/hard ground).

Since taking up the whistle (just over a year ago) I think I've worn my full studs two or three times and my moulded pretty much most of the time. I haven't noticed anything different with the achilles, just that it was easier on the soles of the feet, although that may change with the new Asics when they arrive.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I suffered from Achilis problems quite badly for a while.
Saw my physio at work (Premiership football club) and was advised a few things.

Asics Gel boots (Lethal 11 is a good one, comes in studs or moulds).
Vaseline on the back of the heel and inside the heel of the boot to reduce friction on the achilis.
Regular physio, consisting of standing with your toes on a step, then lower the heel below the height of the step for a count of 5. Repeat a few times, regularly through the day. Makes getting upstairs a slow process, but works.

New boots every seasons if possible. Check the inside heel and side of the boot for wear. This will show if your boots don't fit properly and are causing friction on the heel area.

Worked for me.

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yeah, I had the lower/raise on the edge of a step exercises to do too, they hurt at first but seem to be getting easier. Hopefully this will extend the calves a bit to avoid regular injury like I've been having. I'll try the boots too when they arrive, but can't say I've heard of the vaseline option (apart from in your other thread). maybe I'll give that a try after the new boots arrive too.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Thanks for that but the page said, "you do not have permission to access this page".
I still get that "you do not have permission to access this page".
It seems that Robert Burns has eyes and ears everywhere :wtf:;
honest I promise to put my "Licenciés Capacitaires en Arbitrage (*LCA)" training to good use before the end of the season. It's just that right now I'm not fit enough to go 80 minutes with the 2nd sides.

*Means something like "Club member capable of reffing" a senior game. Mostly an insurance requirement for the club, rather than a real desire on my part to take the abuse, that's par for the course, at grassroots level out here.

Last edited:

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Vaz, that's a good idea, never heard that one before.
Yep still doing the calf dips but I'll hold them for longer to get the deep stretch.

I have a bit of a theory about studs on soft turf. If you have an 8 stud configuration then there's less body weight per stud which means the stud takes longer to go into the turf. If you run on your forefoot, like most of us do, this may well stretch the achilles and calf too much and irritate it. So, while you're trying to push-off, the studs could still be sinking in the turf, thus the achilles and calf are having to work much harder to compensate during each stride.

I think I've just convinced myself to get blades or a six stud config.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Ah, switch has been flipped. I can see the thread now. Looks like asics lethal seem to be very popular. Do they come in different types of studs/cleats?

Well, just tried stuffing a leftover cardboard box from christmas down them. Parcel tape got in the way! I mean, who thought of using cardboard in an asics boot! I wondered why they stunk so much after their first use! Or was that my refereeing? (that was a rhetorical Q)

You'll get on well here! :biggrin:

I still get that "you do not have permission to access this page".
It seems that Robert Burns has eyes and ears everywhere :wtf:;
honest I promise to put my "Licenciés Capacitaires en Arbitrage (*LCA)" training to good use before the end of the season. It's just that right now I'm not fit enough to go 80 minutes with the 2nd sides.

*Means something like "Club member capable of reffing" a senior game. Mostly an insurance requirement for the club, rather than a real desire on my part to take the abuse, that's par for the course, at grassroots level out here.

Have you paid the $300 non refundable membership fee? :chin:

Si vous promettez de se comporter, je vais vous laisser entrer

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I prefer to wear blades as much as possible, only deferring to my studded boots if the ground is really muddy.

dreadpiratedaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ok, decision made. well, almost. Its a toss-up between lethal tigreor (how do you pronounce that? Tiger oar?) moulded or the lethal ultimate IGS 5, also moulded.

Anyone want to buy an old pair of asics tigerrug ex jp? 1 former crippled owner. Made of plastic and cardboard. Anyone? I'll throw in a stud spanner free of charge.