Sir Graham Henry's biography...

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
bored, now.

I think we have all had,"good grief the ref isther blind, stupid or paid for!!" moments.

Mostly we then come to our senses, and I suspect GH is simply admitting that he suffers from this not uncommon phenomenon.

Not a surprise, he has not actually made an accusation, and clearly doesn't actually think this is the case.

Can we now move onto the real issue, which is why do all refs hate Tigers and ping us for nothing, and allow the cheats in the other team to get away with blatently cynical offences?
:chair::biggrin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Only one person is making attacks! The rest of us have discussed GH's comments.

So you don't think that "But then YOUR track record indicated that any critique of your beloved country is always wrong. I'll not worry about your rather pathetic insults to me and others who have the temerity to fail to bow down the the sacred cow that is New Zealand." is an attack? really?

YOu two:
Either, please, get a room OR arrange to meet a neutral venue with seconds OR go to PM.

The rest of us thank you

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
87 - No conspiracy
91 - Tournament organizers for scheduling the game on a sacred day where Michael Jones refused to play
95- Food poisoning
99 - The French grabbing their testicles and getting away with it
2003 - missed that excuse
2007 - match fixing
2011 - won it no moaning

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I was going to take the higher ground on this thread, but frankly reading a South African complaining about conspiracy theorists in other countries just about blew my ironymeter.

Now: We got screwed by the referee against England when Callard kicked the penalty; the Welsh are still pissed about Haden and 1905; the French have, for centuries, believed in the Anglo conspiracy.

Pretty sure that we can cover eveery nation this way, so can we PLEASE all stop throwing stones?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Meh. All coaches do a thorough review of all their games, otherwise they would not be very successful. One of the things that Henry is famous for is his attention to video analysis of opposing teams and referees.

Not quite sure what you are trying to get at here.

What I'm reading from that passage is "Of course, he didn't think it was a fix for more than a moment or so. I mean, if he did think it was a fix, here are many excellent reasons why he might choose to think it was a fix. So therefore you can excuse his thinking it was a fix. Briefly. Only briefly did he ever entertain the possiblity that it was a fix."

If this is not the inference we're supposed to draw, why does it mention anything more than "I was so stunned I briefly thought it must have been a fix, and then I came to my senses and moved on"? I might be inclined to give the writing the benefit of the doubt here, if not for that bit in the article where they brag about "there was even more stuff, but we had to cut it out because of those wimpy stick-in-the-mud lawyers with their insistence that we shouldn't talk complete and total bollocks."

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was going to take the higher ground on this thread, but frankly reading a South African complaining about conspiracy theorists in other countries just about blew my ironymeter.

Now: We got screwed by the referee against England when Callard kicked the penalty; the Welsh are still pissed about Haden and 1905; the French have, for centuries, believed in the Anglo conspiracy.

Pretty sure that we can cover eveery nation this way, so can we PLEASE all stop throwing stones?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

But there is a trend and that is everytime NZ fail in a world cup they make up some story to avoid being crusified back at home from a rugby mad nation.

95 I lost a lot of respect for guys like Zinzan Brook and others. They are fantastic rugby players but awful at telling lies.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Grahame Henry is not a British citizen, and is not entitled to be called "Sir".

I don't believe this is correct Dave. Commonwealth citizens are entitled to receive British Honours and use the pre and post nominals. Bill Gates for example holds an honourary British knighthood, as does Bob Geldorf. Neither may refer to themselves as "Sir".

Also, its a moot point in GH's case as he has a New Zealand Honour anyway.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Grahame Henry is not a British citizen, and is not entitled to be called "Sir".

Why would anyone care what you personally think of our honours system? It's our system and I don't see why we should bend it to suit you, just because you have some imperial delusions of grandeur that makes you think that only your country is allowed to bestow titles.

Grow up please.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
95 I lost a lot of respect for guys like Zinzan Brook and others. They are fantastic rugby players but awful at telling lies.

Leaving aside the issue of whether they were poisoned or not, do you doubt that a large number of the team were pretty sick on the day of the final? How else do you explain all the throwing up? Are you suggesting that they intentionally purged themselves throughout the game?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why would anyone care what you personally think of our honours system? It's our system and I don't see why we should bend it to suit you, just because you have some imperial delusions of grandeur that makes you think that only your country is allowed to bestow titles.

Grow up please.

Careful what you say Damo, there are a few very defensive precious types here. If you speak your mind and say what you really think, you might find yourself branded a whinger... especially if you are a Kiwi or an Aussie.

As for the honours and "imperial delusions of grandeur", I think you are off target a bit. If I read my Davets correctly, then I think I am safe in saying that he is just about the last English member of this forum that you would find watching a Royal Wedding or waving a Union Jack at a Royal parade

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I blame bob deans.

didds

What? Why blame him?

It was all the fault of one Mr. Jock Dallas of Scotland! :biggrin: (edit: and of course that cheating Rhys Gabe character).

When I heard about this Bob Deans business, I briefly contemplated match fixing as the only logical conclusion!

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Careful what you say Damo, there are a few very defensive precious types here. If you speak your mind and say what you really think, you might find yourself branded a whinger... especially if you are a Kiwi or an Aussie.

As for the honours and "imperial delusions of grandeur", I think you are off target a bit. If I read my Davets correctly, then I think I am safe in saying that he is just about the last English member of this forum that you would find watching a Royal Wedding or waving a Union Jack at a Royal parade

Well, what is he trying to say then? Seems to me that if he thinks only Brits can be Sirs then surely the only legitimate honours are those awarded by the British. Ted can't be a Sir because only the British government is worthy of awarding any honours. Sounds pretty bloody imperialist to me. If we wanna grant Ted the title of Sir then why not?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what does he call himself ?
what does he want other people to call him?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
what does he call himself ?
what does he want other people to call him?

He was headmaster at Kelston Boys High so: SIR

I have heard him say that he doesn't really mind either way, but I would say that he probably doesn't mind hearing the Sir particularly at the more formal occasions.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Political Correctness Police Alert :biggrin:

In UK we cannot use the term Headmaster, we have to use Headteacher.

Just waiting for the colonies to catch up .............................and descend into the social morass the home country finds itself in. For examples watch Jeremy Kyle Show :wtf:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
damo - I wasn't actually aware that it was a NZ title, or that NZ actually bestowed knighthoods, I'd sort of assumed that you were above all that titles and honours crap and therefore assumed it was an Honorary Knighthood as a UK title for, possibly, services to being a kiwi arse who helped Welsh rugby when they had no-one else to turn to having tried (from memory) 53 coaches in 6 months, or something like that. Non British Citizens can receive Honorary Knighthoods, but cannot be called "sir" as a result.

If it's actually a NZ title (and when has New Zealand ever had a feudal tradition that would lend even the remotest reason for having an order of knighthood as some tedious hangover from days of yore - but that's by the by) then you can call GH whatever you wish - I still retain the right to refer him as tit-head.

And Ian has me summed up pretty well - I am no friend of the monarchy, of god, or of privilege in any form, I support free speech to the extent that I would not try to prevent even exteme idiots like holocaust deniers or Islamist extremists, or fundamentalist Christians, telling us what they think - I believe that only by listening to idiocy and extreme political and superstitious views can you be aware of them and take steps to nullify any threat they pose. Let them condemn themselves out of their own mouths.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Political Correctness Police Alert :biggrin:

In UK we cannot use the term Headmaster, we have to use Headteacher.

Just waiting for the colonies to catch up .............................and descend into the social morass the home country finds itself in. For examples watch Jeremy Kyle Show :wtf:

We still use Headmaster/Headmistress at the private schools (Mt Albert Grammar, Kings College, Auckland Grammar etc).

State schools tend to tow the Education Ministry's PCBS line, but Private Schools are largely self-funded, so they tell the Education Ministry to shove it where the monkey put the nut

There are quite a few differences in nomenclature between State and Private schools. For example, at State Schools, failure is called "deferred success", but at Private Schools, its called "failure"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If it's actually a NZ title (and when has New Zealand ever had a feudal tradition that would lend even the remotest reason for having an order of knighthood as some tedious hangover from days of yore - but that's by the by) then you can call GH whatever you wish - I still retain the right to refer him as tit-head.

Davet. New Zealand still has Mrs Battenberg as head of state, and we have a Governor General (currently Lt Gen Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae). This is why we have a Union Jack in the corner of our flag, and our Armed Forces are referred to as the Royal New Zealand Air Force, and the Royal New Zealand Navy etc. At Dining Ins, we Toasted the Queen etc. Same situation in Australia

Mr Battenberg has also been Field Marshal of the New Zealand Army since 1958, Marshal of the Royal New Zealand Air Force and Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal New Zealand Navy since 1977.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Davet. New Zealand still has Mrs Battenberg as head of state, and we have a Governor General (currently Lt Gen Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae). This is why we have a Union Jack in the corner of our flag, and our Armed Forces are referred to as the Royal New Zealand Air Force, and the Royal New Zealand Navy etc. At Dining Ins, we Toasted the Queen etc. Same situation in Australia

Mr Battenberg has also been Field Marshal of the New Zealand Army since 1958, Marshal of the Royal New Zealand Air Force and Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal New Zealand Navy since 1977.

Do you have a Royal Army as well?
We don't have a royal army (all that history, regiments that belonged to aristocrats, regiments that were ex militian, regiments who fought on the side of parliament etc etc, so no royal army for us - -we have a British Army), but I can't see why New Zealand coudln't have a royal army if it wanted.