Referees' watches

johnH

Referees in England
Post Likes
My old stopwatch has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing before the beginning of the season! It is/was a Polar MT51 heart rate monitor watch which I used since starting with Hampshire RURS in 1999 and I'd like something new that has at least equivalent functions and a good big stopwatch display.

Any recommendations for a replacement unit?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Garmin forerunner, also track GPS and calories burnt based on your height, weight, speed etc.

cf-lg-1.jpg

Not a countdown timer though so if that is an issue for you don't get this watch.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My old stopwatch has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing before the beginning of the season! It is/was a Polar MT51 heart rate monitor watch which I used since starting with Hampshire RURS in 1999 and I'd like something new that has at least equivalent functions and a good big stopwatch display.

Any recommendations for a replacement unit?

OMG - we should have a brief silence in memorium at this evening's Society Meeting.

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
fastime 15 - great watch - with cheaper g-shock on other wrist ;)

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I have the casio refs watch, great watch as it has the vibrate function to tell me it's half/full time so I know but the players don't.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I have the casio refs watch, great watch as it has the vibrate function to tell me it's half/full time so I know but the players don't.
For the perfect Refs watch, I think the vibrate feature is essential. If my G-Schock could vibrate, I couldn't fault it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I use the Casio. It's great, although the numbers are little too small for me. I wish they did an oversize version.
The only beef on it is that the mode button can sometimes be pushed accidentally - flex your wrist and it can be depressed just enough - which is alarming, as you look down and the display says 00:00:00 or something (!), but just switch the model round to countdown again and everything is still there.

My other watch is a Timex Ironman, which I actually like better as it's easier to read (larger numbers) but it doesn't have a vibrate, which I think for all sorts of reasons is better than a buzzer.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've got a $12 cheapie from Kmart

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I've ante'd up to the timex HRM trainer, with a massive display and touch-sensor:

51kE31%2ByhSL._AA300_.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've ante'd up to the timex HRM trainer, with a massive display and touch-sensor:

51kE31%2ByhSL._AA300_.jpg

cool watch
does it have a vibrate option?
I was worried by some reviews that said the touch sensitive screen was too sensitive, and could get 'pressed' by rain, or accidental contact with your clothing. A bit risky in a rugby-game where it's not unknown to have slight contact with players.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I use this:-

View attachment 2199

Phil E spotted them on Amazon for £20 (the tight get) a few years ago - so I swooped (the tight get)

I think they are about £40-£50

I like the vibrate - set it for 42 mins as above:biggrin:

I also like that the stop watch runs at elapsed time (lower reading) and stop/start time upper reading.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i have that watch - and I didn't even know I could do that.
must RTFM

I met a bloke last season who'd had one for two years and didn't know it had a vibrate function!!!

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
cool watch
does it have a vibrate option?
I was worried by some reviews that said the touch sensitive screen was too sensitive, and could get 'pressed' by rain, or accidental contact with your clothing. A bit risky in a rugby-game where it's not unknown to have slight contact with players.

No vibrate option.

It allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the "tap", so it has not become an issue in games so far (though I havent yet refereed in the rain).

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Just give one of these to your advisor, He'll let you know when time is up!
air horn.jpg

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I use the Casio Referee watch on one wrist, and have my Garmin 110 on the other to track my pace and distance.