50 Assessments

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
When I started refereeing (April 2010) I created a folder on my computer in which to put all of my assessment reports, which I filed by number. On Saturday I reached my half century! This means that on 50 occasions an assessor / MO has watched me referee and then taken the time and effort to write me a written report, and I am extremely grateful to all of them! What wonderful people these MOs are.

Looking back through the reports is also quite entertaining;

Report 1 was for a Level 13 end of season friendly (my first ever go as a referee)
Report 8 was a level 8 exchange to London (rapid progress
Report 15 my first crack at level 7 (exchange)
Report 24 my first level 6 (another exchange)
& Report 50 was my first proper level 5 appointment - a National 3 League game.

What fun it has been!

I also must have one of the highest ever percentages of observed games. 50 reports in 77 games, and that doesn't include coaching reports.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Wow I've had around 25 in 12 Years! But to be fair we have very few people to do it and I,m not going anywhere at my age

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Wow that's a lot of assessments, id say that if I had 6 assessments/coaching in my 89 games as a ref that would be the height of it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Your experience is at the extreme end of the 'fast track' process?

So a L5 tester, which is great to see you are pushing at the Group nomination door. Was it in National 3 SW ?

Who was the MO - initials ?

Last edited:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Great work. That's insanely fast progress but what you're doing must be working well. I imagine that the games where you aren't getting assessed are you mini-breaks :)

I always send a thank you email to the assessor and ref coaches that come out to watch me. It's important to recognise that people give up their spare/family time to come help us become better referees.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was probably the most assessed referee in my league this year and would have only had about 6 of 60 games assessed. So if we give it about another eight years, I might hit the half century ;)

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
And at the other end of the scale, 3 in 6 years plus a couple of feedback forms. Having said that I was watched at the beginning of this year by about 40 fellow referees for a society training day. Does that count??????:)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks for the post, made me go back and look.

I'm on 37 assessments in 6 seasons

1st was first game L11 Sept 08 (assessor no longer with us, RIP Smithy)

1st L8 was my 3rd assessment

1st L7 in county was 14th assessment

1st L7 Exchange was 21st assessment

1st L6 in county was 28th assessment

1st L6 exchange was 29th assessment

Not sure i'll ever get a shot at a L5 (but you never know). I'm still loving it and enjoy the exchanges as much as anything (there were 5 players in the side on Saturday that i used to play against, so out of county is always a new experiance) I've had 7 this season all at L6 except 1, just Hampshire to finish of this year :wink:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not sure i'll ever get a shot at a L5 .......... just Hampshire to finish of this year :wink:

well not this season anyway as all potentials and nominees are already tagged and being appointed / watched for both December and April Group nomnation cycle. As to L5 in the future, as you will probably know at about 4:30 pm on the 7th :biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In Hampshire we aim to watch every referee twice at least each season.
ELRA3 joiners are watched twice in their first 5 matches.
All Development Referees with potential at each Grade level are watched at least four times by a Match Observer and more often if they have a coach / mentor.
High Potential Development Squad Referees (L8 and higher) will be watched by a mix of MOs and Coaches more frequently. This could be every other match by the time they get to L6 and are on Federation, when all Federation and Exchange matches are assessed.
Group L5 referees used to be watched every match, but that changed this season, as the RFU cut # of MOs from 15 to 5, and they have far more referee coach attention.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Lol 2 in 36 months, however my post match analysis is second to none!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I started refereeing (April 2010) I created a folder on my computer in which to put all of my assessment reports, which I filed by number. On Saturday I reached my half century! This means that on 50 occasions an assessor / MO has watched me referee and then taken the time and effort to write me a written report, and I am extremely grateful to all of them! What wonderful people these MOs are.

Looking back through the reports is also quite entertaining;

Report 1 was for a Level 13 end of season friendly (my first ever go as a referee)
Report 8 was a level 8 exchange to London (rapid progress
Report 15 my first crack at level 7 (exchange)
Report 24 my first level 6 (another exchange)

What fun it has been!

I also must have one of the highest ever percentages of observed games. 50 reports in 77 games, and that doesn't include coaching reports.

well, i just don't know what the f*** I have been doing with my time.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well done Waspsfan, that's excellent work!

Just a shame about supporting Wasps :)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As to L5 in the future, as you will probably know at about 4:30 pm on the 7th :biggrin:

Oh i know there is no chance of me ever formally making L5, but it would be nice to maybe get an odd one, we have cup matches in county that would be at L5 or maybe even an SOS from SW you never know :wink:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
S O S do happen !

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
S O S do happen !

I know all about SWG SOS - yes the occasional Panel Ref and even Panel AR brought back for a L5. A little too often this season already due to a combination of injury, sickness and IRB Training Camps all on the same day, plus two switching to South East Group as movewd to London and one been aweay in a desert place - so the squads ranks will be swelled at Christmas, and L5 test matches have been underway all season.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Well you won't make 5 with that attitude BFG! What is stopping you?

I wonder what level game my 100th assessment will be?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well you won't make 5 with that attitude BFG! What is stopping you?

I wonder what level game my 100th assessment will be?

To answer your question, BFG has got me assessing him at Havant on 7th December at L6 as I have no SW Group appointment that day :biggrin:

I suspect by the 100th assessment you will not be interested in the game level very much, other things will be more important.