Match Payments

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anybody comfortable sharing what they're paid for junior matches? Curious to see how much it fluctuates between age groups and different societies.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Normally it's a pint, and sometimes also a meal ticket.
Society Refs are given expenses, if they ask.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Normally it's a pint, and sometimes also a meal ticket.
Society Refs are given expenses, if they ask.

They aren't paid for matches? I'm sitting here in shock...

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
In Switzerland for U16 and U18 its forty Swiss Francs plus travelling. For School its 30 Chf

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Never knew referees got such a stiff deal in some places...
I understand we ref because we love it, but still.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Left home last week at 11.30 45min drive, reffed two games (never again too old for that crap) got a lucozade and a cheese sandwich drove home another 45mins got home at about 6.30. got €25 in travel expenses.

No point being mad if you dont show it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
6,000-7,000 club referees get paid nothing for reffing junior matches at their own clubs
In England's RFUland 5,450 Society refs get travel expenses if they claim them.
50 or so National Panel Refs get a small match fee and travel expenses
8 or so Championship / Elite refs get a slightly larger match fee, and a few are RFU employees as Development Managers or Officers.
6 or so Elite Referees are full time salaried RFU professional match officials

Last edited:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Rugby Union: Expenses, so between £5-15

Rugby League: No expenses just match based compensation (academy is different)- 1 game-£20 2-£35 3-£45

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No expenses for league where I am but travel is usually very minimal.

U6-11s: $20, 12s: $25, 13-14s: $35, 15-16s: $45, 17-18s: $60.

I thought I wasn't paid enough but now I'm re-evaluating that thought!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
6,000-7,000 club referees get paid nothing for reffing junior matches at their own clubs

in my club the coaches are expected to buy the ref a pint. This would most likely come out of their own pocket, but possibly from some age-group funds collectred by the age-group (separate from the membeship fees paid to the club)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
:biggrin: England (and Wales) is very different from Aus; perhaps the SH refs may care to chip in? I imagine there is a reasonable payment spectrum there -especially given the amount of time they put in on a weekend. I know Mrs Dixie would have flayed my bits if I'd suggested AR-ing for the ensuing games as well as reffing my own. There is not an amount of cash that would have compensated for putting up with her displeasure. Where do women learn how to keep glowering over imagined problems for days on end?

6,000-7,000 club referees get paid nothing for reffing junior matches at their own clubs (Sunday games)
In England's RFUland 5,450 Society refs get travel expenses if they claim them. (Saturday adult games)
50 or so National Panel Refs get a small match fee and travel expenses (Saturday adult games). It's important to remember that ST is a high-powered advertising exec on commensurate salary, so when we says "small" we can be sure the match fee is below £100,000 p.a. [Aus$180,000], but we can't be certain of much else]
8 or so Championship / Elite refs get a slightly larger match fee, and a few are RFU employees as Development Managers or Officers. (Saturday adult games)
6 or so Elite Referees are full time salaried RFU professional match officials (Saturday adult games)

in my club the coaches are expected to buy the ref a pint. This would most likely come out of their own pocket, but possibly from some age-group funds collected by the age-group (separate from the membership fees paid to the club)
I've reffed age group in many clubs, and find typically that the bar staff know the referee's drink is free, and have a process for dealing with that. Notwithstanding, the home team coaches will often put their hands in their pockets for a top-up: particularly if they've won.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
in my club the coaches are expected to buy the ref a pint. This would most likely come out of their own pocket, but possibly from some age-group funds collectred by the age-group (separate from the membeship fees paid to the club)

we give a free drink to all referees (whether club or society), and most coaches will offer another. food also comes as standard.

i did have to have a quiet word the other week when they refused a 16 year old ref a free hot chocolate, but we're all friends again now.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
In New York I get $75 per game regardless of the level (high school up to mens division 1) and travel after 150 miles.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No expenses for league where I am but travel is usually very minimal.

U6-11s: $20, 12s: $25, 13-14s: $35, 15-16s: $45, 17-18s: $60.

You do well! Here the students get $20 flat for a junior game. Seniors only get travel allowance when they travel out of the state! And they must claim this. This is annoying as you can travel 100 km round trip for no reimbursement.

We are trying to change that as some unions around australia do pay a nominal amount to help cover costs, but it's a tough barrier to break through and it's not going well. They agree with the principle, but they cry poor all the time. They don't believe they should ask the players to pay up.

I worked out that the average referee will spend approx $60-$100 per game to be there (including equipment, unreimbursed travel costs, physio, training and development). Yet the referee development employee encourages people to join and say it's cost neutral because they get their jersey and shorts for free!:chair::chair:

we give a free drink to all referees (whether club or society), and most coaches will offer another. food also comes as standard.

Not many senior clubs do that here. They're too tight to throw you a sausage off their BBQ! If you step up to their canteen they're super quick to put their hand out and take your cash! (About half junior clubs feed and water you).

Sometimes you just feel like you're just being used! And they wonder why they find it hard to retain refs for more than 3 or 4 years. They just get jack of being screwed.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the North Mids, we charge £0.40 per mile with a minimum of £3.00 and a maximum of £35 payable by the club. Should expenses be in excess of £35, the balance is claimed from the Society at Christmas and then at the end of the season. In the vast majority of clubs, the referee simple hands a chittie over the bar to receive his expenses.

In virtually all clubs, referees get free drinks and food post match and there will be frequently a free bottle of water/Lucozade etc. in the dressing room before the match. Sunday mornings, a free bacon sandwich and cup of coffee pre-match are sometimes available.

NM

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A big fat $ZERO for all matches, regardless of grade, age or level. Often have to buy our own beer after the match and usually the ref will buy the first one for the AR's.

Also need to add that all matches includes seniors games. No-one gets paid in Tas.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
$0.45 per mile
$50 for the A game, $25 for the B.

We don't vary fees by level.

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've heard some rumours that 'they' are considering introducing a payment for referees a la football (who can expect a minimum of £20-25 for junior games). Not sure how much truth/likelihood is behind this?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A-side U19, $90.
B-side U19, $55.

Travel, 40c/mile. Closest is ~60-90mi, furthest ~200 each way.

Kit purchases are either out-of-pocket or subsidized by society, then taken out of reimbursement.