Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The referee was unaware of a tradition that patrons should wear no underpants.

Above is from the news article. I think this is the problem. Not sure of the definition of tradition, but I do find the collective decision not to wear underpants childlike not a tradition. I also find the collective group performing the wedgie as cowardly. The whole thing, to include the fine, is almost what I'd expect from the 5th grade bully and his followers.

The society should not assign a ref to them indefinitely. Players should be banned accordingly.

If it happened to me, I'd probably be done with reffing for good.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So is this the first time this club has had an exchange ref?
I wonder if any local officials are on here and could comment on the practice and do they play along.
I must say if it had happened to me somebody would have been punched/elbowed pretty hard to make it quite clear I wasn't playing and a clear shout that I would be reporting them.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I went to Uni at Southampton I was a mature student, playing for Salisbury (even getting a few first team games and this was Area League South) so the rugby was going well. We had an Ugly Freshers competition, and I remember clearly staring across the table at the captain and making a silent and low key throat cutting gesture so the question of my participation was never raised.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Evening of my University 1st XV debut I was carried from Hawks Club to Magdalen Bridge and thrown into the Cam.

Fished out, taken back to Hawks and a very large brandy, towels and clean track suit provided.

It was only on later debuts for others that I found out that sober sensible team-mates were on both banks at the foot of the bridge as safety measures.

The College 1st XV was much nastier involving a bumper of port, naked run around the Prioress Quadrangle, and locked bar door on return.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You should of gone to a proper university instead of the Polytechnic.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Evening of my University 1st XV debut I was carried from Hawks Club to Magdalen Bridge and thrown into the Cam.
I remember a cox drowning after being thrown into the Cam from Garret Hostel Lane bridge. I have never been a fan of such activities.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I remember a cox drowning after being thrown into the Cam from Garret Hostel Lane bridge. I have never been a fan of such activities.

We lost an extremely fit and talented 22 yo referee a few years ago, who jumped off a local bridge (alone) after a night out. They say the cold water and possible awkward landing may have contributed to his accidental drowning.

Accidents happen, but throwing someone off a bridge is an accident waiting to happen.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
One where they would OF taught you to talk proper?
OB, this is actually unhelpful, because anyone who consciously writes "would of" or "would ov" is merely spelling phonenically what he/she has assumed to be correct English as heard every day. You really need to explain that what is heard as "would ov" is actually "Would Have", shortened to "Would've".

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB, this is actually unhelpful, because anyone who consciously writes "would of" or "would ov" is merely spelling phonenically what he/she has assumed to be correct English as heard every day. You really need to explain that what is heard as "would ov" is actually "Would Have", shortened to "Would've".
If that was the first time it had been mentioned ....

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
O.B. -well done indeed. Irony, Sarcasm AND teasing the Colonials in such a short sentence :biggrin:

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it'd happened to me I'd have called the police. No doubt.

It's not rape, but it's a pretty clear case of assault. It's unbelievable that anyone should think ganging up on someone and removing their underwear - while they protested - was in any way okay. Anywhere. Ever.

I don't see in that statement whether anything was going to happen to the actual people who took part - not just the club, but whoever was involved in the assault. At the very least they should have to attend victim-empathy training because I suspect they will see it as three refs not having a sense of humour, rather than them taking part in a potentially very serious criminal act, with three actual victims.