Abuse towards referee....

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Its strange, as soon as this has happened to me (to clarify, I'm only 20 and been reffing about 4-5 months), I have started being given higher level games, and at these fixtures include programmes etc. a lot of which have a club code of conduct for their supporters, that linked with the bloke who wrote a letter to the club's supporters telling them to (paraphrased) bugger off if you abuse a referee. I think its clear that rugby community are not willing to tolerate this sort of nonsense whatsoever.

The last thing we need, is kn*bheads ruining the game for young officials, as if my experience is the same as others, we could potentially be the ones who one day may be the man in the middle on the telly! SO it's good to see things being done in terms of abuse to officials!

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ahhhhhhh Bisto.

Smells good, well done, stick to your guns.

Does no end of good to the ref community to be seen to be politely in the right where the blazers are concerned.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Sadly, I've broken an unwanted 'duck' yesterday

Having lost my earlier fixture : ( , I get L6 3rds v bottom of L10 1sts.

Away L10 side arrive very late with x13players, K/O delayed 15mins, they borrow x2.
Home win 50-12 & are better technicians and have more support near the ball both in D or A, to run in unopposed or turnover possession from isolated BC when defending.
Had to threaten away coach (after A&T) with pitchside removal, for incessant appealing for all decisions prior to advantage expiring and telling me that he could shout as loud as he likes and there was nothing i could do about it !
On 66 mins, away side 'claim' one front rower has strained his back, so uncontested's are now agreed!

In the bar, I've noshed and chatted and hoc to players etc, for 40 mins .... Home capt says his players praised my communication, consistency, refereeing spirit , law application etc, much better than they usually get etc ...

Away coach, suggests I favoured away side deliberately, when I objected to the ' insinuation' one of his players piped up, " I'll say it if you won't , you're a cheat" this was 5.51pm in the bar after a match that finished an hour earlier..

This is the 1st time I've ever been called a cheat, coach didn't use the 'Ch' word, but he was clearly the orchestrator of the mindset from which his player was unable to contain his utterance

Until 5.50pm it was an enjoyable run out, however thereafter I was inwardly miffed, so I went to the gym on the way home and took it out on the bike & chest press machines!

I rang a senior society chap, who immediately guessed the player as soon as I named the club !

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It is unfortunate but you come across them. Just remember he's playing at L10 and may be one of many things - not totally au fait with the laws being one.

I had a L6 coach scream at me yesterday through the tunnel, out the other side and then continuing while I ended the discussion. They're just morons and not worth the time.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It is unfortunate but you come across them. Just remember he's playing at L10 and may be one of many things - not totally au fait with the laws being one.

I had a L6 coach scream at me yesterday through the tunnel, out the other side and then continuing while I ended the discussion. They're just morons and not worth the time.

Did you complete an abuse report?, if not then what will make such behaviour desist?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sadly, I've broken an unwanted 'duck' yesterday

Having lost my earlier fixture : ( , I get L6 3rds v bottom of L10 1sts.

Away L10 side arrive very late with x13players, K/O delayed 15mins, they borrow x2.
Home win 50-12 & are better technicians and have more support near the ball both in D or A, to run in unopposed or turnover possession from isolated BC when defending.
Had to threaten away coach (after A&T) with pitchside removal, for incessant appealing for all decisions prior to advantage expiring and telling me that he could shout as loud as he likes and there was nothing i could do about it !
On 66 mins, away side 'claim' one front rower has strained his back, so uncontested's are now agreed!

In the bar, I've noshed and chatted and hoc to players etc, for 40 mins .... Home capt says his players praised my communication, consistency, refereeing spirit , law application etc, much better than they usually get etc ...

Away coach, suggests I favoured away side deliberately, when I objected to the ' insinuation' one of his players piped up, " I'll say it if you won't , you're a cheat" this was 5.51pm in the bar after a match that finished an hour earlier..

This is the 1st time I've ever been called a cheat, coach didn't use the 'Ch' word, but he was clearly the orchestrator of the mindset from which his player was unable to contain his utterance

Until 5.50pm it was an enjoyable run out, however thereafter I was inwardly miffed, so I went to the gym on the way home and took it out on the bike & chest press machines!

I rang a senior society chap, who immediately guessed the player as soon as I named the club !

*Puts on his best Ozzie accent*
struth, he's like a bloody dingo with a toothache

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did you complete an abuse report?, if not then what will make such behaviour desist?

Not as such, as I wasn't paying full attention and can't recall the full content. However relevant people will be made aware and behaviour recorded.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not as such, as I wasn't paying full attention and can't recall the full content. However relevant people will be made aware and behaviour recorded.

Maybe if someone had taken issue the first time he'd done this, then maybe he wouldn't still be practising the 'art' ?
Or maybe this was his first attempt!