First season in Juniors - some questions

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
After spending most Sunday morning's coaching over the last 14 or so years this last season and the coming one will see me mainly just offering to referee youth matches at my club.
The best advice I can give is in the pre-match chat involve the players (it's the coach in me), get them to answer their own questions, the ones which come up are "when's the ball out" and "are hand-offs allowed". After they have had a try at the answer I tell them how we are going to play the laws, normally dressed up in the "it's the same laws your coaches played yesterday" type of comment.
I'd agree that being clear on the signals and vocally loud on decisions helps manage those off the pitch more than those on it.
Have had some of the best mornings' rugby refereeing youth games.
There are some very talented players out there.
The thing is this is my hobby too and if I can find an approach the players get to enjoy the game, the spectators see a good match and neither coach is annoyed with my performance I'll take it.
Am looking forward to my first game of this season already.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
get them to answer their own questions,
There is nothing more annoying when asking a question than to be told "what do you think the answer is?" If they knew the answer they wouldn't be asking! Just tell them the ******* answer and move on - they want to play not have a discussion meeting.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There is nothing more annoying when asking a question than to be told "what do you think the answer is?" If they knew the answer they wouldn't be asking! Just tell them the ******* answer and move on - they want to play not have a discussion meeting.

he he! that crossed my mind.

the best advice I got last season - from a player in the bar afterwards: at grassroots level, anyway, the longer the ref goes on in the PMB the further their hearts sink.
:)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
he he! that crossed my mind.

the best advice I got last season - from a player in the bar afterwards: at grassroots level, anyway, the longer the ref goes on in the PMB the further their hearts sink.
:)

As a promise to myself and my sons I agreed to play at least one game with them. Elder son's game was in South Yorks so I knew the referee and there were no issues. Younger son's game (L12?) was in another part of Yorkshire so PMB was done by a referee I didn't know. He gathered everyone in for the PMB - never a good sign IMO - and well - how can I put it? - he set off telling us how he wanted each and every phase of the game playing - I think we got to 25% of the way through the Law book before I slunk away to stretch my old calves etc. I had done a lap of the pitch with various physical jerks en route and he was still going. FFS I thought as I set off on lap 2.

I vowed never to take more than a minute (assuming no questions) whatever level of game although I appreciate it is probably best to speak to all team members when they're young.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can I suggest that you do what is compulsory (Stud check and Pre-match brief), then ask if there any questions- Otherwise thanks for your time and have a good game. Interested players stay and ask when is the ball out etc. They hear this every week and probably know it by heart. I stand and watch refs do this often -gradually the players lose interest and fidget, play with the ball, take a drink, stretch etc. Don't waste your breath and everyone's time unless they want to ask something.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interested players stay and ask when is the ball out etc. They hear this every week and probably know it by heart. .

of course this season the answer is possibly different, depending upon whether you have had to change your approach to conform to the new IRB video..

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
of course this season the answer is possibly different, depending upon whether you have had to change your approach to conform to the new IRB video..
Or whether you heard the drivel that spurted unchecked from Austin Healey's mouth during Wasps v Saints (I think).