Controversial Ending

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
According to a rival rugby forum (!) it was the home team coach who shouted out during the kicker's run up.

I don't think he should have reset it. I would have blown for full time and then let the away team complain about the home side's pitch side behaviour.

I would question whether this referee is ready for the challenges of level 5 - and seriously question the wisdom of whoever sent him to do a Gloucestershire derby on his first appointment, apparently with no assessor!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
According to a rival rugby forum (!) it was the home team coach who shouted out during the kicker's run up.

I don't think he should have reset it. I would have blown for full time and then let the away team complain about the home side's pitch side behaviour.

I would question whether this referee is ready for the challenges of level 5 - and seriously question the wisdom of whoever sent him to do a Gloucestershire derby on his first appointment, apparently with no assessor!

IF it was the coach shouting to distract ( presumably close enough to have an effect) a player about to kick ( magnified by the context of the match) then I think the referee is justified in allowing a retake.

Perhaps it shows that the referee does indeed have the backbone for this level ...or beyond?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am sure he has the backbone - but I don't think the Law allows him to order a re-kick, so I think it will go down as an error and a critical incident

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Response to waspsfan :

According to a rival rugby forum (!) it was the home team coach who shouted out during the kicker's run up - incorrect, it was the head coach of the visiting non-kicking side.

I don't think he should have reset it. I would have blown for full time and then let the away team complain about the home side's pitch side behaviour - agreed, that is what he should have done ideally, and good that retrospectively you think you would have done that. We expect nothing more of you, as you know !

I would question whether this referee is ready for the challenges of level 5 - yes he is ready as evidenced in his L5 reports to date and in the judgement of the L5 South West Group Managers, Selectors, MOs and Coaches, as you were.

and seriously question the wisdom of whoever sent him to do a Gloucestershire derby on his first appointment - it was not his first L5 nor his first 'south west derby'. Do reflect on questioning the wisdom of SWG management on a public forum.

apparently with no assessor! as you should know all the Match Observers, Referee Coaches and SWG Selectors were at Clifton on Saturday for a L4 National 2 match doing a coherence/convergence training exercise ensuring development & reporting consistency for all you SWG referees, plus identifying the performance, abilities & standards required to progress to L4 PNR selection.

Before the Society Committee meeting last night, based on the specifics of this incident which I described to them both, an Elite AR and Panel Referee both gave the re-take kick decision (unprompted) on equity grounds, but stressed that it was not supported in law.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I am sure he has the backbone - but I don't think the Law allows him to order a re-kick, so I think it will go down as an error and a critical incident

In the wording of Law you're likely correct crossref, but if Law doesn't extend to include this lack of 'rugby spirit' then it ought to be extended to include it.

........ Referee may order the kick to be retaken if the referee decides the kicker has suffered unreasonable distraction committed by persons not on the Field of Play.

Imagine a kicker who during his last minute approach to kick gets hit by an object lobbed by the crowd or coach or match active member , then what ???? IMO he gets another attempt, critically outside law or not./

ITS NOT SOCCER.

Now Just read Simons response....'equitable' ...... Yep, that's the word.

Last edited:

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
I never claimed to know the facts or the referee involved, as you clearly do. If it wasn't his first appointment then I take back my comments about the appointment. However if it had been his first appointment (as I understood it to be) then it would be right to question the wisdom of a Gloucestershire derby and no assessor, even on a public forum, which I am sure you would agree with.

Response to waspsfan :

According to a rival rugby forum (!) it was the home team coach who shouted out during the kicker's run up - incorrect, it was the head coach of the visiting non-kicking side.

I don't think he should have reset it. I would have blown for full time and then let the away team complain about the home side's pitch side behaviour - agreed, that is what he should have done ideally, and good that retrospectively you think you would have done that. We expect nothing more of you, as you know !

I would question whether this referee is ready for the challenges of level 5 - yes he is ready as evidenced in his L5 reports to date and in the judgement of the L5 South West Group Managers, Selectors, MOs and Coaches, as you were.

and seriously question the wisdom of whoever sent him to do a Gloucestershire derby on his first appointment - it was not his first L5 nor his first 'south west derby'. Do reflect on questioning the wisdom of SWG management on a public forum.

apparently with no assessor! as you should know all the Match Observers, Referee Coaches and SWG Selectors were at Clifton on Saturday for a L4 National 2 match doing a coherence/convergence training exercise ensuring development & reporting consistency for all you SWG referees, plus identifying the performance, abilities & standards required to progress to L4 PNR selection.

Before the Society Committee meeting last night, based on the specifics of this incident which I described to them both, an Elite AR and Panel Referee both gave the re-take kick decision (unprompted) on equity grounds, but stressed that it was not supported in law.