Uncontested Scrum at U15, Girls, Can the No 8 Pick Up?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Re: Uncontested Scrum at U15, Girls, Can the No 9 Pick Up?

Just the messenger ! Don't know why !

oh, that was understood womble! it wasn't aimed at you :)

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

PS...5man uncontesteds at U12 on small pitches - really? ( where is the code for all shapes and sizes going?!!!!!)

well, it has to be said most scrummaging I see at community age group level up to about U14 is generally pretty pants so its a moot point the fuller shape and size is really missing much by not hinging at every scrum because of their poor technique. If it means coaches will instead concentrate on a proper hooking technique whilst not under pressure then that would be success enough... though undoubtedly as there is guaranteed ball that opportunity will be missed!

The larger lad should have a role to play as a mismatch runner. Watch the blindside stuff being played last w/e - excellent use on the whole. Scotland in particular.

didds

didds

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
& I wasn't being critical, more so 'enquiring' ???

Ah, OK :)

So all I can add to this is that I agree, from what I have read, that it looks a big step from NRoP U12 (as will come in next year) to U13 as it is now. I had always assumed that the progression of regulation changes would have to go higher than U12 up through the age groups to make the steps smaller, but I have seen nothing official to support that view. The NRoP I have seen only go up to U12, I am only assuming that it would make sense to expand this higher up the age groups, I will leave that discussion to you more experienced folks :)

Thanks,

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

well, it has to be said most scrummaging I see at community age group level up to about U14 is generally pretty pants so its a moot point the fuller shape and size is really missing much by not hinging at every scrum because of their poor technique. If it means coaches will instead concentrate on a proper hooking technique whilst not under pressure then that would be success enough... though undoubtedly as there is guaranteed ball that opportunity will be missed!

The larger lad should have a role to play as a mismatch runner. Watch the blindside stuff being played last w/e - excellent use on the whole. Scotland in particular.

didds

didds
It will soon become "Larger lads shouldnt turn up until u14" as the NRoP(+1) favour the agile little'un (so will the coaches)

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes

Interesting , at the south west festival at frome this year the festival rule was no 8 pick up at u15 level. Maybe that is where th confusion lies x

This was exactly what the Oxfordshirecoach told me as she marched onto the pitch, Somerset had told her..... I replied as politely as I could that there was no way any referee could anticipate her taking on erroneous information, I was being serious that all coaches have a duty to learn the laws...otherwise how can you coach effectively???