Blueprint rugby

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
All,
The RFU make mention of a pilot for U13s happening somewhere at the minute.
There is no mention of this anywhere on their sites with regards to the rules they are playing to but during the "blueprint rugby" roadshows the "aspirational" (not sure who's aspirations but...) idea for this age group was to be playing on half a pitch at 10 aside with non-contested scrums.
Does anyone know of this, had games of this nature?
I've asked Twickenham directly and received a very helpful silence on the matter.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
everything that I have seen suggests no change at u13, ie: 15-a-side game, played to the IRB U19 variations (with additional RFU variations as per Reg 15).

but you may know more than I do...

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Have now been provided with a copy of the current pilot regs and they are very much changed.
The RFU didn't supply it so will check it is valid before sharing but in my opinion a significant number of steps backwards.....

[edit: spelling]

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All,
The RFU make mention of a pilot for U13s happening somewhere at the minute.
There is no mention of this anywhere on their sites with regards to the rules they are playing to but during the "blueprint rugby" roadshows the "aspirational" (not sure who's aspirations but...) idea for this age group was to be playing on half a pitch at 10 aside with non-contested scrums.
Does anyone know of this, had games of this nature?
I've asked Twickenham directly and received a very helpful silence on the matter.

Bloody hell, if that's for real then that is a backward step. Are all the fat boys getting too fat for a full field?
Do the players all get a trophy and certificate for turning up each game and taking to the field too? (Free cheeseburger if they catch the ball perhaps?)

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Guys,

10 per side and 5 man uncontested scrums are the rules being trialled at U12 this year, not U13.

Thanks,

Antony

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Oooh, interesting. Can you post the PDF for the regulations?

Thanks,

Antony

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Document isn't PDF but have messaged you direct about it

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I found this
Under 13 New Rules Pilot
The RFU Council has agreed a pilot set of rules for the Under 13 game. The rules are designed to help build the transition from U12 New Rules towards 15-a-side rugby. This will be trialed as per the established New Rules of Play “system” in the 2014/15 season and then reviewed with the pilot counties. For the majority, there is no need to react at this stage! Discretionary and mandatory rollout would follow the timescales already established by RFU Council in all other counties, so 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons respectively.
which also has an email address at the RFU
http://www.sussexrugby.co.uk/news/age-grade-competition-review-agcr-6746/

Winchester are evidently part of the pilot
RULES FOR U13s
• 12-a-side.
• 5 player uncontested scrum until 31 December, contested scrum from 1 January.
• No line outs.
Where teams are played from other counties variations to these laws may be played.
http://www.winchesterrugby.com/j/team-34295.html

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So it looks like, as we all suspected, the NRoP will be extended beyond U12. Good thing as far as I am concerned, that jump between U12 NRoP and U13 (as is now) looked HUGE.

Thanks,

Antony

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I'm sure this will work brilliantly as long as the schools are told that they must also follow suit :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm sure this will work brilliantly as long as the schools are told that they must also follow suit :chin:

yes, that's very important. Indeed the different laws at school and club is the single biggest Law problem in youth rugby.

well, we can look at what is happening the U12 age group - any know if the U12 NROP being used in schools, at all ?

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Schools will never follow suit, but oddly the RFU state and continue to state the children can cope with the changes in the rules. Which by default means the the children can cope with the rules which sort of suggests that all of this a bet of a wild goose chase.
As the NRoP continue to extend which they will I wonder how long it will be before we see the scrum removed from the game as a whole as 18 year olds are too old to teach new skills too.......
The way in which this is also being rolled out, totally under the radar and without any form of challenge being listened to really doesn't work. The major point of the NRoP was recruitment and retention and these two measures have never been measured.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I fear it may have the opposite effect on recruitment and retention and destroy club yoth rugby - the more the rules diverge the more children will make a choice between the two forms, and school will naturally win.
Clubs could become places just for kids at non-rugby schools, and that won't give them critical mass.

For me the MOST important thing I would work on if I was in charge is to try and get schools and clubs working together properly.

- FIRSTLY THE same rules at each age group. It's ridiculous expecting U13s to play different rules on Sat and Sunday

- structuring the season better : Many schools play one term of rugby, and even when they play two, the focus is the first term. I'd like to see schools competitins focussed in the first half of the season, with club rugby structured as development and friendly games before Christmas, and the youth leagues after christmas, dovetailing with the school season.
This would be especially helpful at U16 U17 U18 where it's physically to battering to play rugby on Sat and Sun, but changing the timing to pre and post christmas would mean they can do both.

- foster partnerships between schools and clubs. In some cases clubs helping to spread rugby in schools. sometime schools coach clubs. (schools sandwich clubs in quality: the best youth rugby is in schools, but also the most struggling youth rugby is in schools)

- seriosuly addressing County selections. This needs a thorugh shake up so that kids with club and school backgrounds can be selected fairly and equably.

- why not some club v school fixtures: winner of the Middlesex League plays Harrow. My local club play my local school.

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why can the English governing body of Rugby Union not tell the English schools that they must tow the line? There are two problems with the NRoP, the schools/clubs issue, and the shoddy way they are written. I have no problem with what they are trying to achieve with the NRoP, just the disjointed approach.

Antony

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well, we can look at what is happening the U12 age group - any know if the U12 NROP being used in schools, at all ?

U12 regulations are still on trial this year. It won't be adopted across the rest of the clubs until 2015/16 season.

Antony

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
As the NRoP continue to extend which they will I wonder how long it will be before we see the scrum removed from the game as a whole as 18 year olds are too old to teach new skills too.......
The way in which this is also being rolled out, totally under the radar and without any form of challenge being listened to

......and then drop two players per team, and then uncontested tackles, and then teams retreating back to a 5-10m offside line ........... Aaaaargggghhhhhh I'm having a nightmare , where is my crucifix box , those devilled Rugbrawl leagueists have infiltrated the RFU thinktank focus groups.

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
U12 regulations are still on trial this year. It won't be adopted across the rest of the clubs until 2015/16 season.

Antony

And that there is the whole problem, it was the same with the NRoP at U7, U8 etc. "It's a pilot ......" but "we'll adopt it next year". This was never a pilot as a pilot would have reviewed the findings. The findings for the original pilot are so flawed you can drive a tank through them but as clubs we were never allowed to challenge them without being cast in the role of trouble-makers.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
And that there is the whole problem, it was the same with the NRoP at U7, U8 etc. "It's a pilot ......" but "we'll adopt it next year". This was never a pilot as a pilot would have reviewed the findings. The findings for the original pilot are so flawed you can drive a tank through them but as clubs we were never allowed to challenge them without being cast in the role of trouble-makers.

You mean a predetermined outcome masquerading as a trial? , perish the thought !, wash your mouth out with soap young man, how very dare you.

Its a well trodden route to introduce new ideas, I'm thinking scrum engagement that was gteed to resolve all the elite scrum issues :sarc: