Hold Hold Hold

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Anyone have an issue with a team collectively calling "Hold Hold Hold" while waiting for their opponents to take a penalty (not a kick at goal)?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
AIUI, nothing specific in law that says they can't but I'd be assessing what was the point of them doing so and maybe pull out

[LAWS](m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure.[/LAWS]

It all depends on the context of the game.
But probably have a quiet word with the captain after the first one asking him if it was really necessary and perhaps he might ask his players to have a little respect for the oppo.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
why wouldn't they? its an incredibly standard defensive timing device. IMO a worthless one, cos they'd be better off silent with one voice calling the up that wasn't drowned out by everybody else shouting "hold" !!

Frankly if the oppo cant take a tap kick and pass whilst under the oh-so-intense-pressure of somebody 10m away shouting "hold" I think they need some professional help.

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So if they chanted "miss, miss,miss" would you be ok with that?

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It's an interesting one that a coach raised with me in conversation. Like most verbal issues on the field there is a massive grey area in the interpretation of what is being said and how.
If in general play and the defensive team started calling it from a their pillars out, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid at it. I can't think of any team I've seen doing defensive drills that doesn't have a collective call followed by a trigger ("break, turf...") to signal the collective advance of a solid defensive line.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

but they don't....

Alterantively if they instead shouted

"fargle fargle fargle" ?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone have an issue with a team collectively calling "Hold Hold Hold" while waiting for their opponents to take a penalty (not a kick at goal)?

Do you mean a kick for touch penalty or a tap penalty? If the former, I'd have an issue with it particularly if a mis-kick was the outcome.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Do you mean a kick for touch penalty or a tap penalty? If the former, I'd have an issue with it particularly if a mis-kick was the outcome.

The only difference is what happens once the ball has been struck by the penalty takers foot. There is a general difference to the shape of these things before it happens but both can become the other in the blink of an eye.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The only difference is what happens once the ball has been struck by the penalty takers foot.

Sorry, I disagree.

If it's tap kick, I'd be OK with the chant.

If it's a precision punt for the corner, different matter.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
this post is about junior rugby.
I don't think the purpose of 'hold hold' is to put the oppo off, I think it is coached as a device for making the boys focus their attention on the PK.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Fraggle?

Fragile?

41QZHS4GNAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

NOT FRAGILE

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this post is about junior rugby.
I don't think the purpose of 'hold hold' is to put the oppo off, I think it is coached as a device for making the boys focus their attention on the PK.

At PK at goal? Really?

I think it's more to put off the kicker...yes even at juniors.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Sorry, I disagree.

how do you know its DEFINITELY a precision punt to the corner, and not a ruse to LOOK like a precision punt to the corner that becomes a tap and run?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At PK at goal? Really?

I think it's more to put off the kicker...yes even at juniors.

for a kick at goal I would agree, and they have to be silent -- but we are specifically talking about PK NOT at goal

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ooops. Don't I feel the goose. I read that as kick at goal...didn't see the 'not'. :redface::redface:

(Ps. There's no law that says they have be quiet...just stand still...but that is a tangent)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(Ps. There's no law that says they have be quiet...)

I know (I just checked :) ) but still, during a kick at goal, I wouldn't let them yell.

during another sort of kick I do let them chant 'hold hold' if they want to (it's quite common)
but I wouldn't let them chant 'drop it, drop it' or 'dickhead, dickhead'. that's not rugby.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
(removed - already responsed by CR)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Sorry, I disagree.

So Dickie, if you've heard it, whistled and told them not to put the guy off while he aims for the corner, if the kicker kicks to himself and passes infield to outwit the now-straggling defensive line, would you bring him back and require him to kick nicely to the corner? Of course not! Any coach worth his salt would have his boys wholly focused on the possibility that the kick to the corner may be a ruse. It would be a shame if the experienced adult ref was the only one on the park caught out by this subterfuge!

In short - no issue. Let 'em communicate with each other.