Hold Hold Hold

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am afraid that I must disagree here. At all penalties, I demand that all defending players are stationary, with their arms by their sides and silent. Why expect different stances for different penalties? Keep things nice and simple.

NM

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am afraid that I must disagree here. At all penalties, I demand that all defending players are stationary, with their arms by their sides and silent. Why expect different stances for different penalties? Keep things nice and simple.

NM

why on earth should defenders be stationary?
- 1 indeed if they are not 10m back they HAVE to move
- 2 and if they are 10m back they are entitled to organise their defence...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hold Hold Hold

Is something I have only observed/heard when teams (senior) are warming up. I think they either forget or never intend doing it when the action starts.

Similarly from my junior refereeing days teams would do it warmng up and only the more well coached (cowed by fear?) teams managed to keep it up with any degree of co-ordination for the whole game. There would always be one testicularly challenged youth who would continue screetching it long after his more baritone team-mates had lost interest.

Kick at Goal - wouldn't allow it.

Kick for touch etc - grin and bear it. Perhaps a quick "hurry up so I don't have to listen to them lot bleating" to kicker.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

NM

So as the attackers move their players around, you don't allow the defence to track them and go with them?
Interesting.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
The whole team shouting Hold Hold Hold is merely a distracting tactic, everybody shouting it defeats the point if the leader then shouts go and the rest of the team are still shouting hold.

i dont like it, if the capt or pack leader was doing it on is own thats fine but otherwise it just looks and sounds bad and does nothing for the game.

I would ask them to stop as IMO its unsportmanslike behaviour and its very annoying.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

NM

Really? The jackler who did not release is not allowed to run back 10m from where he committed the offence, and the left winger who had corner-flagged to make the original (legal) tackle is not allowed to get back to his own wing? I'll bet you're popular in the clubhouse after the game!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Because the Laws only require this specifically for a kick at goal, and specifically only from the time that the kicker starts his approach to kick until the ball is kicked (21.5(c)).

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just say back another meter they wont hear you. Ping em not 10.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and if they do hear you, step back 1m, and carry on what then?

didds

manager

Post Likes
Penalty kicks aside (and I don't think the OP meant that at all) our team uses something like this. The usual situation is when the opposition are taking a tap penalty close to our try line. They line up and chant 'Ready, Ready...' presumably in an attempt to get everyone to focus on advancing together as soon as the tap is taken. Nobody has ever commented on it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Penalty kicks aside (and I don't think the OP meant that at all) our team uses something like this. The usual situation is when the opposition are taking a tap penalty close to our try line. They line up and chant 'Ready, Ready...' presumably in an attempt to get everyone to focus on advancing together as soon as the tap is taken.

Nobody has ever commented on it.

Likely because most referees don't see it meeting any sort of "unsportsmanlike" threshhold.

Against that history, i'd keep organised(focussed) , and carry on.

manager

Post Likes
In fact it's no different to the 'ready' chants that are heard when the scrum is waiting to shove...and nothing compared to my pet hate of players 'congratulating' the opposition on their mistakes by patting them on the back at the breakdown. Admittedly I've only seen that on the TV but I guess it's only a matter of time...