Quick Unseen Tap

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
wrt ball hitting ref for advantage... on the basis that in the OP it was believed the ball was dead... what advantage had accrued?

if the subsequent tap and play had then been 30 phases of play before scoring would the ball having touched the ref been "advantageous" ?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
wrt ball hitting ref for advantage... on the basis that in the OP it was believed the ball was dead... what advantage had accrued?

the advantage is that, but for the referee's body, the QT wouldn't have been taken as quickly

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but that is still on a situational basis. if the play had taken 27 recycles before sccoring, was the ref an advantage anyway?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
but that is still on a situational basis. if the play had taken 27 recycles before sccoring, was the ref an advantage anyway?

I don't understand your point. I am saying that, if my presence gave 1 team or the other an advantage when taking a QT, I would not allow the QT.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and my point is... how do you know if you have given them an advantage?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and my point is... how do you know if you have given them an advantage?

didds

I will judge where the ball ends up vs. where I think it would have ended up if it hadn't struck me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
right.... so... just to confirm...

red are awarded a PK.
the ball is thrown towards the mark where the SH waits.
en route the ball touches you and deflects a little to the SH who taps...

... and red get awarded a scrum?

ie, because of the totally accidental intervention of the ref, red actually get a scrum and lose the PK?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
right.... so... just to confirm...

red are awarded a PK.
the ball is thrown towards the mark where the SH waits.
en route the ball touches you and deflects a little to the SH who taps...

... and red get awarded a scrum?

ie, because of the totally accidental intervention of the ref, red actually get a scrum and lose the PK?

didds

No, no, no. Red still get the penalty. They are asked to hold up a moment due to referee contact. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the more difficult one is that : you give a PK and the #9 takes an immediate quick tap and sidesteps left to go round you at exactly the moment you hop to the right to get out of his way ... and you collide.
Does he get to take the PK again? or is that a scrum.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the more difficult one is that : you give a PK and the #9 takes an immediate quick tap and sidesteps left to go round you at exactly the moment you hop to the right to get out of his way ... and you collide.
Does he get to take the PK again? or is that a scrum.

No PK again.

If he bounces off you and continues on his merry way, then play on. No-one is disadvantaged.

If he trips over your size 11 gumboots and gets mullered by opposition, scrum to him.