One short in the scrum

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
From today. College match, under 19's. The Black number 8 is off on a yellow card. They request the opposing number 8' drops off at the next scrum so that scrum numbers are equal. I'm a bit caught but say yes. Was this right?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
From today. College match, under 19's. The Black number 8 is off on a yellow card. They request the opposing number 8' drops off at the next scrum so that scrum numbers are equal. I'm a bit caught but say yes. Was this right?

Taffy - you really need to know these sorts of very basic Laws!

U19 and below scrums must always be equal, and must pack in specific formations. This is a safety thing, and being safety related is one of the few issues where a coach would be entitled, pretty much bound in fact, to demand you stop play immediately and fix it, making you look very silly.

Here are the u19 laws http://laws.worldrugby.org/?variation=1

this is the relevant one
[LAWS]
20.1 Forming a scrum
(e)
In an 8 person scrum the formation must be 3-4-1, with the single player (normally the Number 8) shoving on the 2 locks. The locks must pack with their heads on either side of the hooker.
Exception: A team must have fewer than eight players in its scrum when the team cannot field eight suitably trained players in its scrum due to either the team not fielding a complete team, or a forward player being sent off or temporarily suspended for foul play, or a forward player leaving the field because of injury.
Even allowing for this exception, each team must always have at least five players in a scrum.

If a team is incomplete and it cannot field eight suitably trained players in its scrum, the scrum formation must be as follows:

If a team is without one forward player, then both teams must use a 3-4 formation (i.e. no No.8).

If a team is without two forward players, then both teams must use a 3-2-1 formation (i.e. no flankers).

If a team is without three forward players, then both teams must use a 3-2 formation (i.e. only front rows and locks).

When a normal scrum takes place, the players in the three front row positions and the two lock positions must have been suitably trained for these positions.

If a team cannot field such suitably trained players because:

either they are not available, or

a player in one of those five positions is injured or

has been sent off for Foul Play and no suitably trained replacement is available, then the referee must order uncontested scrums.

In an uncontested scrum, the teams do not compete for the ball. The team putting in the ball must win it. Neither team is allowed to push the other team away from the mark.[/LAWS]

You also need to understand the U19 Laws on wheeling, 1.5m push which are also for safety.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
and no squeeze ball :wink:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Taffy - you really need to know these sorts of very basic Laws!

Here are the u19 laws http://laws.worldrugby.org/?variation=1

So true. It's one thing to be unclear on interpretation and "Was I too hard or soft on them?" type questions. However, basic law knowledge is the starting point. I'm not saying read the book cover to cover like a novel. Rather, pick a law a week and study it. Know the law inside out so you have a chance!

Dazzasmiff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
How about leggings ? ;)
No to leggings, players may only wear leggings for training but not games, u'13s upwards,
At younger ages try to encourage not to wear them in games but in exceptionally cold days allow them, new law this season if my memory serves me correct.
Women may wear tights with a single seam down the inside of the leg good luck to anyone who wants to check :biggrin:

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes

Taffy

This really is something you need to know BEFORE you go on the pitch. There is no excuse for not being prepared in terms of knowledge. Get two copies of the laws and put one in the toilet. When on the throne read up the laws. Go through them again and again.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taffy

This really is something you need to know BEFORE you go on the pitch. There is no excuse for not being prepared in terms of knowledge. Get two copies of the laws and put one in the toilet. When on the throne read up the laws. Go through them again and again.

Calm it people, calm it.................Got one in there already............

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If it is there, I, respectfully, suggest you make greater use of it.

Last edited:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Taffy, this was covered 2 years ago when you attended my scrum presentation !

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
U19's must be a welsh thing, as it's normally U18's or U20's

Not in the north. Yorkshire (and NW) have U19 and U17 leagues. Because U18 players play in the U19 matches they are played to U18 variations.

U20s are reserved for County games.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No to leggings, players may only wear leggings for training but not games, u'13s upwards,
At younger ages try to encourage not to wear them in games but in exceptionally cold days allow them, new law this season if my memory serves me correct.
Women may wear tights with a single seam down the inside of the leg good luck to anyone who wants to check :biggrin:

You are not qualified to post about leggings until you have read and digested all 1,216 posts in this thread:
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?9744-Leggings&highlight=leggings
:chin: :biggrin:

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taffy, this was covered 2 years ago when you attended my scrum presentation !

Womble, all I can remember about that fateful night is a baby's dummy and a large woman's dress..............

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

By the book, following all current IRB Laws and RFU regulations then you'll find that
- there is a dispensation for female players to wear tights (with certain restrictions)
- there is no dispensation allowing age grade players (or anyone else) to wear leggings
so they can't.

Of course there is then the troublesome article in Touchline magazine that said they could wea them when it was cold. ... but that was quite some time ago - 2012 wasn't it? so perhaps can be safely ignored, now.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
By the book, following all current IRB Laws and RFU regulations then you'll find that
- there is a dispensation for female players to wear tights (with certain restrictions)
- there is no dispensation allowing age grade players (or anyone else) to wear leggings
so they can't.

Of course there is then the troublesome article in Touchline magazine that said they could wea them when it was cold. ... but that was quite some time ago - 2012 wasn't it? so perhaps can be safely ignored, now.

Dazzasmiths noviceness is excused, but veterans aren't .... :eek:fftopic:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
U19's must be a welsh thing, as it's normally U18's or U20's

Could be a WR (IRB thing)

"Under 19
Variations
Standard set of variations appropriate to the Under-19 Game"

Sourse WR law book 2015 edition.