Ball on the post

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tonight's match, Wales v England. Ball carrier smashes into post. Presumably if he had placed the ball at the foot of the post it would have been a try?

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Yes, Taff, i believe so and that's what the ref and TMO were looking for from what we could hear on TV.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The sooner we get these the better .......
2Q==

WSU100-0046_IMG.JPG

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Browner I see your point but it would be another tradition slipping by. Next news we'd allow 1 forward pass per phase!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner I see your point but it would be another tradition slipping by. Next news we'd allow 1 forward pass per phase!

That tradition was created by engineering limitations and, showbiz has moved on since then.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That tradition was created by engineering limitations and, showbiz has moved on since then.

Actually, in the NFL and NCAA (the posts you showed), the posts are at the back of the end zone. They've always been there, and have nothing to do with engineering limitations. As well, in the NFL and NCAA, the in-goal area is fixed at 10 yards, so no matter where you play, it's always at 10 yards. If you did this in rugby, depending on the pitch, you could have posts 20m behind the try line or 5 meters behind it. You probably would prefer posts as pictured below that are used in the CFL. They're also the posts that we use for our varsity matches and trainings as we play on the Football fields of our universities. I'd have no issues with changing to those posts. I will say that they move quite a bit more than the standard rugby posts, and on a windy day, they'll be swaying as the ball is flying through the air during a kick. This isn't really an issue for football as they're always right in front, but if you're on the touch line, a 6" sway in the posts could be critical.
I posted a link to the image as, for some reason, I've been limited to uploading images no larger than 25kb...
https://www.campusvibez.ca/wp-content/uploads/concordia3.jpg

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The sooner we get these the better .......

WSU100-0046_IMG.JPG

Until a player diving to ground a ball before it goes over the DBL slides at pace into the base and wrecks a head/shoulder so no advantage over current.
In-goal areas from 5 to 22m also a problem

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The collision risk isnt increased by a re-location of the posts 3/4/5m back, id say that siteing it further back freeing up the Goal line;
*aids attacker access to it (ie Haskell)
*Reduces the frequency of collisions
*Reduces referee obstruction, or viewing or positioning issues ( ie jpd being shoved)
*Aids goal line ruck defendability

In short, more reasons to change (at elite level to start with) than not.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Or just picking a player who isn't stupid enough to run into the post.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The sooner we get these the better....

Never happen...too expensive compared to standard grass roots rugby posts.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Or just picking a player who isn't stupid enough to run into the post.

Or who can avoid being grabbed by two oppos and flung into the post, to be fair.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
these types of posts are common here so Browner's idea would see their demise:

images.jpg

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Actually, in the NFL and NCAA (the posts you showed), the posts are at the back of the end zone. They've always been there, and have nothing to do with engineering limitations.
The point is that the supports for the critical part of the posts is/are back out of the area where play takes place. In rugby they might only place them a couple of metres into in-goal, but that would be a significant nett gain, as Browner says.

I see no need for them to become a requirement under law, but I would like to see them used at the top end of the game.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The point is that the supports for the critical part of the posts is/are back out of the area where play takes place. In rugby they might only place them a couple of metres into in-goal, but that would be a significant nett gain, as Browner says.

I see no need for them to become a requirement under law, but I would like to see them used at the top end of the game.

Where they would be easily afforded.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: Ball on the post

Never happen...too expensive compared to standard grass roots rugby posts.

Community AF teams (yes, they exist) in this country have sourced offset posts without breaking the bank. I'm told that they're easy to make as long as you know someone who's good with very large bits of metal. If there were a demand for them from community rugby teams (for instance, if they became As Seen on TV...), they'd soon become widely available.

Actually, in the NFL and NCAA (the posts you showed), the posts are at the back of the end zone. They've always been there, and have nothing to do with engineering limitations.
[/URL]

Au contraire - the original position was the goal line, then they were moved back to the end line in the 1920s, and then when the NFL split their rulebooks a few years later they moved them up again to the goal line to encourage field goals - they weren't finally put on the end line until about 1974.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You say that like it's a bad thing!

we're not blessed with your green and pleasant lands so sometimes/often we have to share grounds with other codes

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
we're not blessed with your green and pleasant lands so sometimes/often we have to share grounds with other codes
I think you're saying that unlike England, Australia doesn't have the space to maintain separate grounds for different codes of football. :chin:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think you're saying that unlike England, Australia doesn't have the space to maintain separate grounds for different codes of football. :chin:

Possibly he means they don't have the poxy wet weather to grow grass!!