players to be canvassed

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6...ton-wants-aussies-to-have-a-haka-of-their-own

Australian authorities say they have "an open mind" on the issue and want to discuss it with their players.

So Aussie Refs , what do you think ? - I know its RL, but you might as well opine in advance , seems like its going to be discussed with the players, so what do Refs / fans think ? ... Dickie, you there? :chin:

Maybe having one each, will stop this .... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRsqVCzVg8

http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/05/officialldom-ruined-this-years-haka.html

Request: please dont reopen any subject exhausted here, these were closed off. http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...Why-is-there-no-vaccine/page3&highlight=virus

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
1st world countries don't need that shite

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Re : Re: players to be canvassed

What's the matter, does it remind you about things you'd rather not think about?

Not at all. Tawdry theatrics are best left to those trying to gain some relevance.

As others have said, like England doing a pre-game Morris dance.

As per TF, thanks for the thought but we'll be OK as is.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Nice to see a thread progress beyond one reply, before a moderators unilateral censorship preference kicked in !!!!!

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?18874-Should-this-be-acceptable
This thread closed without anyone else commenting, .... why exactly ???????? I don't know which Mod actually closed it (!) , but why can't something we see in a high profile Rugby match be discussed on a Rugby forum as to whether or not its acceptable ?

In replying to Ctrainer ( his like ) , FWIW The subject raised wasn't the 'provocation' ( which incidentally I'd seen and have scribed my loathing of previously) , it was the 'act' of retort that was being questioned.

The 'act' was then excused as follows
. It is the kind of symbolic act a rugby league player makes when he believes he is on top
wtf !!!

Crikey, if that excuse is acceptable then presumably Congo RLFC can bite chunks out of opponents routinely :sarc: !!!

It seems to me like its being ignored/brushed under the carpet, and FWIW I'd be equally critical if I'd seen Tuilagi or either of the Vunnipola brothers ( or any other player for that matter) display anything similar when wearing a white rose shirt irrespective of any match provocation or cultural decendancy.

:shrug:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm sorry, Because this is in the General Union Talk section, I thought the OP was asking if we would like to see the Wallabies have their own haka/war dance. I now realise it relates to RL only so I'd like to change my original post of, "We'll be right as we are thanks", to "Who cares?"
I cannot even remember the dance that touring Kangaroo teams did pre 1968. Did they only do it when on tour or prior to every test match?
I watch very few RL games so couldn't really give a toss what they do to counter the haka.
As far as RU is concerned, the only pre-match gee up I remember was John Williamson leading the crowd with Waltzing Matilda:hap:
Some RU historian may be able to tell me if the Wallabies ever had a pre game jig.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Re: Re : Re: players to be canvassed

What's the matter, does it remind you about things you'd rather not think about?

Could bite and get into a full on political/historical/moralistic pissing contest but would prefer to discuss rugby related stuff.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I watch very few RL games so couldn't really give a toss what they do to counter the haka.

Having said that,
I have now watched a highlights package from that Anzac (God knows why it's not played on Anzac Day???) Test match and have only two comments. Surely Sam Thaiday should be cited and suspended for the choke hold and is Greg Bird one of the dumbest thugs ever to pull on a RL jersey? Good to see he got 8 weeks which will allow him plenty of time to now deal with his upcoming court appearance. The thing that shits me about guys like Bird is how they are referred to in newspapers as RL stars. Go Figure.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Having said that,
I have now watched a highlights package from that Anzac (God knows why it's not played on Anzac Day???) Test match and have only two comments. Surely Sam Thaiday should be cited and suspended for the choke hold and is Greg Bird one of the dumbest thugs ever to pull on a RL jersey? Good to see he got 8 weeks which will allow him plenty of time to now deal with his upcoming court appearance. The thing that shits me about guys like Bird is how they are referred to in newspapers as RL stars. Go Figure.
Thaiday has been cited for dangerous tackle - head/neck (grade 1) and will miss 1 week of footy.
As for Bird, his tackle would have usually only been a 3 week suspension but his prior form really counts against him in this case and he'll get 6 if he pleads guilty.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
moved to "General League talk"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For the avoidance of doubt, here is what Thaiday did to Taupau, and Taupau's understandably angry reaction.

For mine, holding an opponent's head forwards towards hyperflexion and trying to throttle him has no place in any football code. It achieves nothing in game-play and is no more than an attempt in injure the opponent.

One week suspension is not enough of a deterrent.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Taupau's understandably angry reaction.

Is it so understandable that you can threaten to slit someone's throat?? Really?? Surely you're not supporting that?

I'm not condoning Thaidays actions (IMO he's a dirty thug of a player). But it's a game of football, and lots of neck shots occur (they shouldn't but they do, and yes the grapple around the neck is bad and should be heavily disciplined) but surely a visible highly animated threat to kill someone is surely taking it a bit too far? It is IMO.
And I thought threatening and intimation behaviour was also against sportsmanship? What are we letting the game descend to if we allow that? (The intro to "The last Boy Scout" (Bruce Willis) may not be too far away at this rate :sarc:)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
1) Throat slit gesture
Aside and irrespective of any provocation , does everyone agree that
a) the throat slit gesture isnt acceptable in either code (?) &
b) by doing it the player should be sanctioned in order to discourage repeat use throughout the lower levels of Rugby ( in either code) ?
C) If the disciplinarians allow it to go unpunished, then arent they psuedo condoning it?
D) any journalist who seeks to justify it within the wider remit of 'culture' needs to be ridiculed, or sanctioned within his profession!

2) Re: throat choking
To some degree, RL players are less at risk to the airway suffocation of this disguting practice than RU, mainly because the greater numbers of view obstructing bodies at rucks and mauls (in union) .v. Tackling ( in League) and the Union thug can go about his disgusting dirty work in a often less detectable way.
I reiterate my final comment in Post #5 here http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?18763-Choke-hold-what-is-being-done&highlight=choking

Unless my eye deceives me, contact with the throat ( especially via the holding down at the PTB) has been an ugly 'cheap shot' for some time in League, and my perception is that the game hasn't generally taken a tough enough stance on discouraging it, but I'm happy to be corrected by any RL referee who says he does, or can evidence the game regularly doing otherwise.

My main fear for Union ( apols for dancing back across the 'divide') is that at the lower levels of the game without ARs or TMOs or Screen replays a referee will merrily be chasing after the ball whilst some poor barsteward is being rendered unconscious through asphixation at the bottom of the last Ruck , and that's why any highly profiled example of this ( Yes WB, I'm pointing at you specifically for your recent abdication!) MUST get the publicity AND long ban sanction that protecting our Sons and Daughters needs.

Rid both codes now...someone at the RFU ,SANZAR , RL , World Rugby please please listen.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it so understandable that you can threaten to slit someone's throat?? Really?? Surely you're not supporting that?

I neither support it or condemn it. I simply find it understandable that a player who has been choked may react angrily, this is called human nature.

I don't really give a fat rat's arse what form that reaction takes, be it a shaken fist, a pointed/wagging finger, a one or two finger salute or a throat slit gesture. There was no actual harm done, and anyone who really believes that Taupau was actually going to take a knife and cut Thaiday's throat, is a complete and utter dick-head. At least Taupau didn't actually punch Thaiday as Siale Piutau did to Michael Rhodes when the latter did something similar......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CWyU37zLxw

Both players were cited; Rhodes was suspended for six weeks, while Piutau escaped suspension, due to 'exceptional circumstances'.

Using the judiciary's stance on that incident, if an actual act of violence is considered 'exceptional circumstances' how can merely threatening an act of violence be worse?

Some people here need to stop acting like soft-cocks, and stop over-reacting and knee-jerking to this type of thing. Recognise that these games (RU and RL) are games in which large, physically fit, strong and aggressive young men participate. There is always going to be an "edge' to games like this. Sometime players will let off steam with a few gestures, waving arms and wagging finger; its far preferable to just shrug it off and get on with the game, than to get all crinkly mouthed while trying to suppress and bottle it up because doing the latter could well result in trouble later when boiling point gets reached.

Manage the game, don't micromanage it!!

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Someone's taking cranky pills again.

Open a bottle of red and chill.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
While maybe not something you'd want to see all the time, in the heat of a Test Match a little bit of theatre like that is fine by me. I had a good laugh when it happened (as did Sam Thaiday).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Using the judiciary's stance on that incident, if an actual act of violence is considered 'exceptional circumstances' how can merely threatening an act of violence be worse?

The 6 week ban given would indicate the judiciary thought Piutau's reacted to a more exceptional act of foul play, because the 1 week grade 1 sanction given to Taupau suggests its a routine RL foul !:wtf:

Which perhaps means that this autochoice of engaging in a Tribal ( sorry, should that read 'Culturally innocent' !) throat slitting gesture was deemed less justified :confused:. When this haka-esk slitting gesture permeates into grass roots rugby and the kids start doing it , remember the high profile player that gave it airtime (and watch all those who excuse it now bleat on about rising poor standards) .:nono:

It doesn't take long for social media to disseminate pics to grassroots kids (to worship) copy the guys at the tv pinnacle of the game .
It is a chance to send x2 clear messages, get rid of both bits of pitch action rubbish. missed opportunity IMHO.

Anyone seen players from other countries doing these throat s How about, the incident that saw