Touch flags

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I need some new flags... my beloved sprocker has raided the cupboard and chewed the handles and the flags themselves.

NOW... I don't just want orange and red quarters. I would like something different. So 2 questions, what does everyone else have on their flags and where did they get them from?

TIA

Gareth

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have orange/red quarters, and that is all I have seen used locally.

got mine for free from the ref assoiation.

sorry, not sure that helps much!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Ordered ours to have the Society logo on them.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I need some new flags... my beloved sprocker has raided the cupboard and chewed the handles and the flags themselves.

NOW... I don't just want orange and red quarters. I would like something different. So 2 questions, what does everyone else have on their flags and where did they get them from?

TIA

Gareth

Suggestions ????

5bfdf9f945b5d9af9c6645434db80272.jpg

iStock-Hero.jpg

9k=

500_500_csupload_67337827.jpg

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've been reffing at around level Seven for 13 years and have never owned a set of flags.
I wonder how many societies provide them free?
Most of my kit over the years has come out of my own pocket with the occasional help from sponsors.
Ps just googled it and at around £7. Pair, I may just invest in some this year

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We got these custom flags made this year from Konno (a company based near Toronto, Canada). They also make all of the Rugby Canada kit and flags. They can put pretty much whatever you want on a flag.

IMG_2062.JPG

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I've been reffing at around level Seven for 13 years and have never owned a set of flags......
Most of my kit over the years has come out of my own pocket with the occasional help from sponsors.......

Read & be embarrassed RFU.

& in that same period multi-millions of £ of 'RFU badged free stash' will have been handed out to all sorts of people who contribute far less to the game.. The volunteer community referee does get the shittiest end of the recognition stick #appreciationneedsevidencing

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

TIA

Gareth

As you aren't a Society Ref, you can't ask your Society to provide them, so why not ask your club?

Getting your own custom ones made simply isn't viable unless you are minted?

You can get cheap ones from Sports Direct, or better ones from here http://www.referee-equipment.co.uk/Catalogue/Flags/Touchline-Flags

Or you could make your own?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Read & be embarrassed RFU.

& in that same period multi-millions of £ of 'RFU badged free stash' will have been handed out to all sorts of people who contribute far less to the game.. The volunteer community referee does get the shittiest end of the recognition stick #appreciationneedsevidencing

The RFU aren't responsible for refereeing at level 7, that's down to Societies and CB's, so why have a go at them?.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Phil E regardless of whos responsibility it is, basic equipment should be provided to those refereeing on a regular basis.

Once you pass the induction, you should be provided with Jersey,shorts, socks,whistle, flags, watch, notebook/card holder. they should also have a deal done with a local sports shop to provide a discount to refs for underarmour and boots etc.

In order to avoid been ripped off by people just turning up for the gear every ref would be asked to pay a deposit which would be returned after a set number of games. Replacement gear would have to be paid for at cost price.

Its not too much to ask not to be out of pocket for reffing games, we get jersies shorts socks an odd whistle every few years and the cards/notebook. Every now and again we might get a sponsored polo shirt or some cheap rain gear, its not bad but a small effort would make a big difference esp for refs that may not have much disposable income.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't really agree. In the community game we're reffing for fun. When we played we bought our own shorts and boots, why we should we expect free clothes when we ref?

All hobbies have some costs associated. Given we get travel expenses, reffing is exceptionally cheap. I certainly don't feel angry about having to buy my own shorts, and TJ flags.

If my hobby was beekeeping I'd wouldn't expect to receive a free hive.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I don't really agree. In the community game we're reffing for fun. When we played we bought our own shorts and boots, why we should we expect free clothes when we ref?

All hobbies have some costs associated. Given we get travel expenses, reffing is exceptionally cheap. I certainly don't feel angry about having to buy my own shorts, and TJ flags.

If my hobby was beekeeping I'd wouldn't expect to receive a free hive.

Not angry about it crossref, Its when we are expected to project a certain image as in look the part then I think a little help with that would go a long way travel expenses that we get hardly cover the travel expenses. If we are being asked to project a professional image then supplying us with some equipment wouldnt break them.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree with Crossref. At some stage, with regard to equipment, we have to acknowledge that we'll invest in ourselves in the same way that the players pay their subs.

I'm lucky. My Society has developed a fairly robust kit policy where we equip everyone with everything - shirts, shorts, tracksuits, flags, kit bags, hats - except socks and cold weather gear. I'd personally be OK with shirt and a track suit, but there you go.

The clubs and players, especially at the levels most of us inhabit, self fund, one way or another. I don't think it's out of the question that we do something similar.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It does depend how you look at it....referees are providing a service that the players consume just like they consume the use of the grounds, insurance and even support form their union and they pay for all of those (which ultimately have people behind them which have paid resources) so why should the referee be out of pocket when they provide a service? Why shouldn't they have the equipment provided so they can provide that service without them being financially penalised?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Yes I ref because I enjoy it BUT I'm doing it to enable players to play the game. I should not be out of pocket to let someone else have their fun. I don't need to make a profit, but fair play guys.
For people to say it's not the unions job because of your level surely the Union is ulitmately in charge of referees. The societies etc administer the refs on their behalf.

Our L2s were given a tie by the union but no kit this year. Can't wait to see some of the guys reffing in the Union tie with no shirt or shorts! Priorities surely.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It does depend how you look at it....referees are providing a service that the players consume just like they consume the use of the grounds, insurance and even support form their union and they pay for all of those (which ultimately have people behind them which have paid resources) so why should the referee be out of pocket when they provide a service? Why shouldn't they have the equipment provided so they can provide that service without them being financially penalised?

when i refereed, i didn't do it to "provide a service". i did it because i enjoyed it.

i suspect that it's the enjoyment that keeps most refs coming back, rather than obligation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

The level I am at the players, coaches, first aiders are all doing it for free. Indeed the reverse: in most cases they are paying to be members of the club, and paying match fees.
Indeed I pay membership to my club, so when I ref there on a Sunday morning in a sense I am effectively paying to ref. I never give it a second thought, it's a club. I don't thnk my role is so special I deserve free membership.

All hobbies have costs associated with them, and the equipment and clothes I need to buy for my refereeing hobby are a LOT cheaper than those I buy in the course of my cycling hobby !

My society requires me to wear a special shirt, they gave me that for free. They don't require to me wear special shorts or socks. When my old ones wore out, I did buy society ones, but they cheaply priced.

Of course further up the ranks it different, if all the coaches and players are being paid, so should the ref.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good luck getting teenagers to ref on a Saturday and Sunday at a cost to them when they could be drinking at the same cost, or working at McDonalds and earning some money.

Recruitment!

Free kit for modified games (u6s-12s) where I ref, as well as $20 per game. Gets plenty of 16 year olds to take up the whistle. Then they decide whether they enjoy it and keep going with it.

Once you move into international (u13s+) you buy your own kit ($70 for the lot, subsidised by sponsorship money) and are paid more handsomely for your time and effort.

No flags though, costs a gigantic $15 for 2 at the local sports store!

Last edited: