Uisng an AR

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Are you saying that they'll feel like a cormorant, or that they'll scuff their knees and graze their goolies?

I must say, unlikely though the latter sounds, I'm not sure the former is any more certain!

Both? :biggrin:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
you'll forget that you even have ARs and theyll both be like a shag on a rock!

The common cormorant or shag
Lays eggs inside a paper bag
The reason you will see no doubt
It is to keep the lightning out
But what these unobservant birds
Have never noticed is that herds
Of wandering bears may come with buns
And steal the bags to hold the crumbs.

mark.lucas

Post Likes
Most of us lower level refs don't have the luxury of ARs so a new experience for many I think.

It was interesting to a run the line for a Society ref when my son's team were playing (although my son was not there) and to test out the (non-radio) communications so I was a TJ but able to help him out with a couple of decisions where he wouldn't have trusted a non-official (but would ex-officio).

Subsequently I did the AR online course and then landed up as AR for for Maryland State U19 final. And the team worked. The referee said it was such a relief to have people you could trust (as opposed to a coach / partisan parent on the line).

There were a couple of times in-goal where I gave a discreet thumbs up and the whistle blew.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Most of us lower level refs don't have the luxury of ARs so a new experience for many I think.

It was interesting to a run the line for a Society ref when my son's team were playing (although my son was not there) and to test out the (non-radio) communications so I was a TJ but able to help him out with a couple of decisions where he wouldn't have trusted a non-official (but would ex-officio).

Subsequently I did the AR online course and then landed up as AR for for Maryland State U19 final. And the team worked. The referee said it was such a relief to have people you could trust (as opposed to a coach / partisan parent on the line).

There were a couple of times in-goal where I gave a discreet thumbs up and the whistle blew.

Always nice to be part of a team that works well.

Over here, at junior grades, the team gets a competition bonus point if they provide an accredited AR - usually a dad who has done the course specifically for this purpose.

One of them quipped last Saturday that he was more valuable to the team than his son was :)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One of them quipped last Saturday that he was more valuable to the team than his son was :)

Obviously because he could manufacture a result where his son couldn't! Nice one. :pepper:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Main point of the AR is to take heat off bad decisions you make - "that was the touchy's call, mate" ;)

Do they see the bus coming before you throw them under it?

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I was part of a TO3 last year at the Oktoberfest 7s. We had 4 referees per pitch, 1 refereeing, 2 running touch and 1 acting as pitch marshal to keep scores etc. We all rotated jobs as well, the ref went to pitch marshal, one running touch became the ref and the PM went onto the touch line. It was nice to be able to check my call if I missed something in the middle and also if I was running touch then the ref could check with me if unsure. A good example was a blatant forward pass missed whilst I was telling a player to wind his neck in. The AR flagged me on it and a potentially game changing situation was avoided.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And Nigel only said it 3 times!!!

After the set call, the scrum is not square and stable and the ref is intent only on getting the ball in no matter what.

But that's his rod for his own back?!

That is NOT NOs call...FFS it's right in front of the ref and he's looking at the 9 feeding it so he has at least a better look at it than NO.
I find that is NO not assisting but trying to referee the game! I think that was unprofessional by NO. He knows better and should shut up. All its shown is that the AR thinks the referee is incompetent.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes

That is NOT NOs call...FFS it's right in front of the ref and he's looking at the 9 feeding it so he has at least a better look at it than NO.
I find that is NO not assisting but trying to referee the game! I think that was unprofessional by NO. He knows better and should shut up. All its shown is that the AR thinks the referee is incompetent.

totally agree. now nige has put doubt in the ref''s head and he may starting thinking about it when he should be managing his own standard.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree. As an AR, I only ever send in a call once and let the ref choose to do what they want with the information I provide. I've ignored calls by ARs before because what I saw was fine in my eyes and with the way I was reffing the game. Had an AR been telling me a call repeatedly, I'd probably have shut my mic off to get them out of my ear.

I also don't understand how we got the AR mic on the video? Was someone holding a parabolic mic towards NO the whole match to catch whatever he said? In my opinion, it's good to have the ref mic'd so that the people at home can know what's going on and understand the calls. That being said, the AR's are there to assist the ref and what they say shouldn't be broadcast as it could potentially lead to confusion for the viewer if they're expecting the ref to now call everything that they hear.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Do we know what the referee's pre-match brief to NO was?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Not even sure it was not straight. The hookers had to strike the ball. The timing was good, and the foot was in teh tunnel when he took the ball.

Perhaps you could argue the foot was up early, but that is the sort of scrum we really want to be seeing. Hooker takes foot or the ground. Gets benefit of timing, but loses the 8-7 pushing contest.

Quite rightly the Ref ignores NO. (IMHO)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do we know what the referee's pre-match brief to NO was?

I doubt it would be 'hey guys...make sure you repeatedly tell me when the feed is not straight when I'm on the feeding side...I really need that info cause that's clear and obvious'.

Not even sure it was not straight. The hookers had to strike the ball. The timing was good, and the foot was in teh tunnel when he took the ball.

Perhaps you could argue the foot was up early, but that is the sort of scrum we really want to be seeing. Hooker takes foot or the ground. Gets benefit of timing, but loses the 8-7 pushing contest.

Quite rightly the Ref ignores NO. (IMHO)

I'd say the feed was under the eyes of the LH. But not clearly crooked, I agree.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Yes, good refs do not necessarily make good ARs

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And Nigel only said it 3 times!!!

I'm OK with that. Once the AR decides something needs to be communicated then make sure it is heard.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I also don't understand how we got the AR mic on the video? Was someone holding a parabolic mic towards NO the whole match to catch whatever he said? In my opinion, it's good to have the ref mic'd so that the people at home can know what's going on and understand the calls. That being said, the AR's are there to assist the ref and what they say shouldn't be broadcast as it could potentially lead to confusion for the viewer if they're expecting the ref to now call everything that they hear.

It varies by broadcaster. Some just have ref mic, others choose to put the AR feed in too. Always safest to assume you're being listened to - your voice is public property at that level.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This got a good airing on the social media sites. Bad example by NO IMHO. That was always the refs call and he should never had said anything! :nono:

IF the ref takes up a TH position and the put in is on the AR's side then maybe he can call it, but NO is not even in shot.

I've voiced before than NO always looks pi$$ed off when he's give an AR role, far from me to say it, but he seems to give the "I'm too good for this role impression" :shrug: