Leggings

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

when is "cold" ?...
Alsace is (usually) 0° and below for much of December, January & February. That's pretty cold for mini/midi/maxis to be standing around in. I still have no problem with kids wearing leggings in harsh conditions. That said, when it's too cold we tend to book a heated sports hall for their sake. So mostly they've little excuse for wearing anything other than the club colours.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had an U15 a few weeks ago where one team asked why I was allowing the other to wear leggings. I said I have no option now as they are allowed.
Was I correct?
Next season we will see whole teams wearing them

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had an U15 a few weeks ago where one team asked why I was allowing the other to wear leggings. I said I have no option now as they are allowed.
Was I correct?
Next season we will see whole teams wearing them

Like i said, "if the referee agrees that it's cold"

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Like i said, "if the referee agrees that it's cold"
There is no upside to a referee claiming it's not cold. "Cold" is subjective. In my wife's world, water freezes at 69 Fahrenheit, 22 Celsius. The RFU has let the leggings cat out of the bag. Let them live with the consequences.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Leggings are in.

The game should adapt to the needs of players. The game has always evolved as players test the laws. We play in colder climates due to global warming and climate change. We play on turf also. Your appeals to tradition are failing, accept the change. It will be good for the game. Concussions are the next concern. Plastic helmets have proved very effective here in the US. They are the obvious solution for rugby.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Concussions are the next concern. Plastic helmets have proved very effective here in the US. They are the obvious solution for rugby.

No No No, please No :rc:, American football led the world in concussion ratio's [ IIUC ] ..... which proves that rigid padding & hard helmeting does nothing to prevent them . Id argue that brain bounce & recoil brain shake are increased when Mr 'exocet missile' considers himself invincible because of his padding !

Only Law change/enforcement will reverse this tide.

Leading with Head
No Arms
Shoulder 1st
High Hits masquerading as tackles
Hitting Rucks without bind 1st
Upending jumpers
[not exhaustive] .... all contribute

I'd also throw in that headguards mainly prevent scalp cuts, not much more.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No No No, please No :rc:, American football led the world in concussion ratio's [ IIUC ] ..... which proves that rigid padding & hard helmeting does nothing to prevent them . .

it might just prove that they are detecting, measuring and recording concussions better.

In rugby in the elite levels the trend over the last few years has been to take concussion less seriously. Each new test protocol seems designed to allow players to play on.
At the elite level we see time and agian players allowed to continue although clearly concussed. I have no faith in IRB stats.

At grass roots level, thankfully, I think it is the reverse: on a regualr saturday afternoon in the park I think we are treating concussion more seriously.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Remind me, were Leggings outlawed because they made the BC a slippier target?

In my mind, playing in the cold weather is as uncomfortable for some players in a similar way that playing in hot weather is for others. Tough . Get on with it.

Whatever next, built in rain hoods? :sarc:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remind me, were Leggings outlawed because they made the BC a slippier target?

In my mind, playing in the cold weather is as uncomfortable for some players in a similar way that playing in hot weather is for others. Tough . Get on with it.

Whatever next, built in rain hoods? :sarc:

leggings have never been outlawed per se. There is no reference to them in the Laws/Regualtions/clarifications.

what happened is that
- the Laws allow players to wear shirt, shorts, socks and underwear
- in 2006 a clarification was issued which defined underwear as being above the knee.
- so leggings are not underwear.
- nor are they shirts, shorts or socks
- so you can't wear them

so leggings are not exactly banned. Or if you consider they are banned, leggings are banned in the same way as tutus, dinner jackets or ball gowns. They are all examples of clothes that are not mentioned anywhere in the Laws, but nevertheless are not shorts, shirts, socks or underwear, and therefore can't be worn.

Then, in England, a couple of years ago a writer for RFU's Touchdown magazine ill-advisedly wrote that leggings were, in fact, allowed for u18 when it was cold. Received opinion is that the writer believed he was merely stating current practice and this snippet slipped into the magazine without anyone who knew better noticing, thus proving that Touchdown magazine carries more authority than any IRB communication or even the IRB Lawbook itself (more authority even than a secret email, I'd hazard)

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
FYI .....

A player in my U15's suffered a face whack during his Developing Player Programme training recently, apparently it was a hard bang, I'm told it took some minutes for him to become 'steady' again & immediately resulted in a puffy eye above the brow.

The day after, and periodically over the next 3 days he's been vomiting, the morning after it happened the parents took him to A&E who scanned him with an 'OK result' & monitor ongoing instruction. Although the vomiting continued for 3 days the hospital were content provided nothing else changed.

The thing that disappoints me is, His parents left the DPP session without any specific guidance or direction on the subject of 'post' knock concussion handling

They are diligent and aware people parents, who did all this without guidance , TBH I expect better from such a programme http://www.rfu.com/news/2013/july/news-articles/160713_rfu_developing_player_programme

I heard about the 'knock' from other attendees and rang the parents to ensure they were heading in the right direction, yet no-one from DPP has enquired of the players well being !

Poor IMO.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
FYI .....

A player in my U15's suffered a face whack during his Developing Player Programme training recently, apparently it was a hard bang, I'm told it took some minutes for him to become 'steady' again & immediately resulted in a puffy eye above the brow.

The day after, and periodically over the next 3 days he's been vomiting, the morning after it happened the parents took him to A&E who scanned him with an 'OK result' & monitor ongoing instruction. Although the vomiting continued for 3 days the hospital were content provided nothing else changed.

The thing that disappoints me is, His parents left the DPP session without any specific guidance or direction on the subject of 'post' knock concussion handling

They are diligent and aware people parents, who did all this without guidance , TBH I expect better from such a programme http://www.rfu.com/news/2013/july/news-articles/160713_rfu_developing_player_programme

I heard about the 'knock' from other attendees and rang the parents to ensure they were heading in the right direction, yet no-one from DPP has enquired of the players well being !

Poor IMO.

OK so not everyone acquitted themselves well, but overall it seems like the boy and his parents DID get proper advice.

I had a player concussed in a recent game and was impressed with the care he got. This was a very low level game, with no physios or anything but again one way or another there was enough knoweldge and expertise and there was no hint of him continuing to play (not that I would have let him anyway)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Bump

I did an U13 game on Wednesday evening.

Blue had one lad warming up in leggings. Gold had 5!!!!:wow: It was about 15 degrees C.

I told Blue to take his off before KO when I did the studs and told the Golds to do likewise.

One Gold said he suffered from from some sort of scaly knee condition and had been advised to wear them by his GP. The ground was well grassed but wuite hard so I didn't argue the toss I let him play and suggested perhaps if that was the case he carry a letter to that effect as when he gets older it may be an issue. He said he should grow out of it.

I went back and told Blue Player and his coach to avoid looking like a double standards merchant.

Anyway - great game and leggings fella was a hell of a player.

I can't recall if I expressed an opinion on what I would do if faced with it but now it's happened I don't feel like I've caused any undue problems for anyone.

Let's get to #1300 :biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:)

I think that here and now in 2015 u13 boys are not allowed to wear leggings. In any weather. Full stop.

It's a long time since that accidental announcement in Touchline magazine, and the Laws and RFU regulations have been updated several times since then, with no mention of any dispensation to wear leggings, other than for girls.

So no leggings.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From crossref:

Hmmm. Heavy duty pantyhose are underwear. So, heavy duty pantyhose are OK?

Apologies if this has been suggested before but didds peeked my interest. I'd ignored this thread 'til now.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
From crossref:

Hmmm. Heavy duty pantyhose are underwear. So, heavy duty pantyhose are OK?

Only if it ends above the knee.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought I'd give this one a bump as I witnessed a fine example of diversity and safeguarding connected with leggings today.

U19 game today. As kick off nears, approaching his coach is blue 13 complete with leggings

"Get ready John" says Mr Coach.
"I am ready" says John.
"You're not playing in tights you big f***ing puff!!!"

Well it made me laugh. :biggrin: