New Zealand flag redesign

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
For me the black designs are a bit "IS" (Islamic State). I know you can't control what's happening in the world but it's just not a good look at the moment.

IF there is a change I like the concept on continuity so appreciate red, white and blue and the retention of the Southern Cross (in red stars - a number of the long list designs changed to white like the Aussies).

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Because then you would split the vote amongst the people who want to change the flag and the original flag would almost certainly win, even if it only garnered a plurality of the vote (say 35%). If this happened you might get a situation where 65% of the population wanted to change the flag, but we wouldn't. Much better to pit the most popular alternative against the current one and see which is more popular.

It is the same model of referendum we used to change our voting system back in the 90's . We had a preliminary vote to decide on the best alternative (MMP, STV etc) and then it went against the First Past the Post system in a subsequent vote.

Vote one "Do you want to change the flag?" Yes / no

In needed

Vote two "Pick one of these designs".

That way you don't get the status quo by default.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Bump.

Why does it take 3 weeks to get the votes in?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bump.

Why does it take 3 weeks to get the votes in?

Postal vote.

Not everyone gets the voting papers at the same time. Mine arrived yesterday, one my employees paper arrived almost two weeks ago.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
at the RWC final when they brought the two giant flags out to the pitch we Brits had a lot of fun shouting : But they're the same flag :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
at the RWC final when they brought the two giant flags out to the pitch we Brits had a lot of fun shouting : But they're the same flag :)

that's the English spirit. Find some humour even in the darkest of times. :eng:

PS: they copied ours :(

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a late entry:

index.jpg

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Any referee who looks at the NZ flag and the Aussie flag and thinks they are the same or look the same should be thinking about hanging up their whistle!

ANZAC-Flags.png

The differences are Clear and Obvious

1. The Aussie flag has a big, seven pointed "Commonwealth Star" under the Union jack (presumably the seven points represent the states and territories of the Commonwealth of Australia but there are eight of those, so I'm not sure how that works out)

2. The Aussie flag has the Southern Cross depicted more accurately because it includes the fifth star (epsilon Crucis) that is clearly visible to anyone who has seen the real Southern Cross

000093.jpeg

3. The stars on the Aussie flag are white, while on the NZ flag they are red with a white border.

PS: they copied ours

No, actually its the other way around

The New Zealand Flag has been in use unchanged since 1869. After the formation of the colony in 1840, British "Blue Ensigns" began to be used. The current flag was designed and adopted for use on Colonial ships in 1869 following an Imperial statute and became New Zealand's national flag in 1902.

The Australian flag came about as a result of a flag designing competition in 1901 and was not officially adopted as Australia's national flag until 1908. Prior to 1901, Australia was six separate colonies and the only real effort at a combined national Flag was this one...

flag65.jpg

The Australian Federal Flag, also shown on this "Federation" ribbon dated 1899

150px-Australia_Federation_Ribbon2.jpg

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Wikipedia tells me that the Commonwealth star originally had 6 points,one per colony. Then they added an extra one for Papua.
The stars ofthe cros originally had different numbers of points to represent brightness - as on the Victoria flag - but this was simplified to ease production.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Postal vote.

Not everyone gets the voting papers at the same time. Mine arrived yesterday, one my employees paper arrived almost two weeks ago.

Wow...NZ postal services are efficient!

Are the 300,000 odd NZ hiding out in Oz able to vote? If so, by your postal system it will be 12 months before you get theirs back!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wow...NZ postal services are efficient!

Our postal service is a joke and it nickname "snailmail" is well earned.

Its not uncommon for a letter to take 6 days to get from Auckland to Nelson.

Are the 300,000 odd NZ hiding out in Oz able to vote? If so, by your postal system it will be 12 months before you get theirs back!

I think only if they have been enrolled in a NZ electorate in the last 12 months.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have (a)few (NZ) friends:horse: they never wanted the flag change in the bloody first place.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have (a)few (NZ) friends:horse: they never wanted the flag change in the bloody first place.

So I guess that, in the 1st referendum, they will vote for for the design that they dislike the most hoping that others will think the same & vote it down in the 2nd referendum