Keeping fit during rugby season !

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Just a question, keeping fit during season do you just do games and hope that it is enough or do you exercise on your off days.
Why I ask is that we have pre-season training which is to get fit to pass the yoyo or beep and condition the referee, once the season starts we cut back and they start doing games of an average of 5 games a week, that includes U14, U19 and adults and the referees seem to lose fitness, when they do get the chance to train they really battle for air and fatigue quickly.

The one referee still does weights twice a week and cross-train twice a week all done before 6am, the referee will then do 3 days a week of games which would be 5 games as a referee and 5 as an AR, yet they seem to lose their fitness.(compared to pre-season)
I was thinking overtraining but it does not look like it,
What do you do to keep fit during season?

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
As an old prop once said. For pre-season cut down to 5 pints a night and change to tipped fags, park a hundred yards from the pub and walk there. During the season just play.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just a question, keeping fit during season do you just do games and hope that it is enough or do you exercise on your off days.
Why I ask is that we have pre-season training which is to get fit to pass the yoyo or beep and condition the referee, once the season starts we cut back and they start doing games of an average of 5 games a week, that includes U14, U19 and adults and the referees seem to lose fitness, when they do get the chance to train they really battle for air and fatigue quickly.

An AVERAGE of 5 games a week and they lose fitness????????

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The one referee still does weights twice a week and cross-train twice a week all done before 6am, the referee will then do 3 days a week of games which would be 5 games as a referee and 5 as an AR, yet they seem to lose their fitness.(compared to pre-season)
I was thinking overtraining but it does not look like it

So to be clear: The average referee is past his playing days, so 35+. Many are in their 40's and 50's. You have a referee who, before 0600, does weights and works out on a cross-trainer. He then referees or ARs 10 physically-demanding youth games over 3 days - i.e. 3 per day. And you discount the idea that he may be over-doing it?

In his shoes, I'd:

a) swap the cross training for a Spinning session on a quality static bike in an exercise class environment, and forget the weights; how many kids does he have to lift, really?

b) reduce the reffing to one per day.

I'm fairly confident that he's then see an improvement in conditioning.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Wow. That's more fitness than we used to do in the parachute brigade.
I beleive this is an April fools.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would suggest that when he comes to do a fitness test he's already fcuked :swet:

mind you it could just be the time of year :wink:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm 56 and retired from full time playing at 42.
I basically train with my old club whenever I can to keep fit and ride my bike to work maybe around 20 miles a week.
Then ref one game a week with a very rare Sunday game.
I was lucky in my playing career I didn't pick up leg/ankle/knee injuries and don't really carry weight so that works for me and still try to drink as much as when I played if she lets me.
Works for me!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wow. That's more fitness than we used to do in the parachute brigade.
I beleive this is an April fools.

Brigade? BRIGADE? When I did P-Company in the early 1980's (and found incidentally that Milling and Yomping are not my natural milieu), it was a Regiment comprising several battalions. If memory serves, 2 and 3 Para are the infantry component of 16 Air Assault Brigade, but that doesn't make the Paras part of any Parachute Brigade.

I believe this is an April Fools

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Brigade? BRIGADE? When I did P-Company in the early 1980's (and found incidentally that Milling and Yomping are not my natural milieu), it was a Regiment comprising several battalions. If memory serves, 2 and 3 Para are the infantry component of 16 Air Assault Brigade, but that doesn't make the Paras part of any Parachute Brigade.

You beat me to it, Dixie

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In all but name, in some minds:

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/28059.aspx

The Parachute battalions used to be part of 5 Airborne Brigade, of course. Since Daftmedic didn't use a capital P, he must have been using 'parachute' as an adjective, which is probably acceptable. (See, sometimes grammar pedantry works in your favour ...)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Meh. Let's not get caught up on semantics. But still is should be an April fool

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The Referee is turning 21, has been refereeing for 6 years has been on national panel for 3 years, the referee asked for more field training. I asked if it was over training but the referee said no. ???? (pressure to stay fit and sharp, I hope injuries will stay away). Thank you for the input !!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The Referee is turning 21, has been refereeing for 6 years has been on national panel for 3 years, the referee asked for more field training. I asked if it was over training but the referee said no. ???? (pressure to stay fit and sharp, I hope injuries will stay away). Thank you for the input !!!

Given he is on NP is this drop off in fitness not something that is monitored/discussed with the great and the good at the RFU?

I thought the NP referees went to Twickenham 2 days a week? That said I only know the two from South Yorkshire and at least one of them is an inveterate liar! :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Given he is on NP is this drop off in fitness not something that is monitored/discussed with the great and the good at the RFU?

I thought the NP referees went to Twickenham 2 days a week? That said I only know the two from South Yorkshire and at least one of them is an inveterate liar! :biggrin:

That's the "elite" guys at Twickers I think you'll find?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My current training split:
Monday - upper body work plus a 20-30 minute session on the concept 2 rower
Tuesday - lower body day, same C2 rower session
Wednesday - sprint work
Thursday - upper body day, interval work on the rower
Friday - lower body, plus recovery work. Might be an easy 20 minutes on a bike, or might involved a light sled of some kind.
Saturday - game day
Sunday - rest.

I am fit all year around and overall feel really good. You have to keep working on the fitness, as when the fitness is good the mental aspect become easier.