U13 - Undercover refs

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Do you see many referees who fit parts of that catalogue? I don't.

there are plenty at the younger youth age groups. at least there were when the team i coached were those age groups (no smart arse comment please) - club refs who had the primary goal of ensuring that their team won. far from the norm, but not unheard of.

i do not include society refs in the above.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you see many referees who fit parts of that catalogue? I don't.

Fortunately no but then again I don't see much abuse from the touchline.

Anecdotally I suspect that there is a correlation between poor onfield officiating and impotent spectator frustration which can lead to verbals.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fortunately no but then again I don't see much abuse from the touchline.

Anecdotally I suspect that there is a correlation between poor onfield officiating and impotent spectator frustration which can lead to verbals.

I think you're right there. The worse instances of abuse I've seen have been when the ref is having a poor game. I'm not sure which comes first though - I'm sure some referees would lose confidence if they heard abuse coming from the sidelines, and so go on to have a poor game.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I think we are pretty much in agreement, referee abuse is not widespread in the game of rugby, especially where a decent structure is in place. I think some of you are missing the point though, even when the club has a good structure verbal abuse of mini/midi\maxi kids is rife in every country on this planet.

No smoke without fire ; countries don't organize National campaigns to deal with non-problems.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think some of you are missing the point though, even when the club has a good structure verbal abuse of mini/midi\maxi kids is rife in every country on this planet.

How do you say balderdash in French?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think you're right there. The worse instances of abuse I've seen have been when the ref is having a poor game. I'm not sure which comes first though - I'm sure some referees would lose confidence if they heard abuse coming from the sidelines, and so go on to have a poor game.

yep... I perceive there is a demographic that expect their games' ref to be poor, and they then find that (s)he is "as expected".

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How do you say balderdash in French?
absurdité, sottises, balivernes, inepties, idioties, fadaises, balivernes, bêtises, niaiseries, fariboles
(Google Translate is your friend)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
anybody here closer to that story than a newspaper based in London/Manchester? That's no to decry the grauniad, but the story smacks of something else if it is so limited to Northland, or even just Whangerai itself. No other areas/town in NZ have been fingered as havbing an issue in that article?

didds