Leggings

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought I'd give this one a bump as I witnessed a fine example of diversity and safeguarding connected with leggings today.

U19 game today. As kick off nears, approaching his coach is blue 13 complete with leggings

"Get ready John" says Mr Coach.

"I am ready" says John.
"You're not playing in tights you big f***ing puff!!!"

Well it made me laugh. :biggrin:

Just when I thought this thread had finally died..... Lee, does the phrase Pandora;s Box mean anything to you? :)

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Couldn't resist resurrecting the thread for this one:

Player (I was ref coach not ref) appeared to be wearing padded undershorts. Skins type things that appeared to have 10-15mm of padding. I mentioned this to his coach after the game who said who was it? Some of the boys said that this boy played wearing his pyjammas, presumably rolled or folded up above the knee and under his skins undershorts. Coach was going to talk to him about this, but what do you guys think?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So that's what a Scotsman wears under his kilt :chin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The player presumably feels cold? Unless he has a "blanket" styl;e obsesssion.

As you've used the term "boys" I presume we are discussing youth rugby or even mini/midi.

padded shorts sound like cycling shorts which have to be the most uncomfortable thing Ive ever run in (long distance triathlon underneath wetsuit, running a couple of hundred metres from lake to transition 1!"). Unless they are actually something like tri shorts with a smaller pad, but he is wearing them as the closest thing he has to "support".

I watched a few minutes of an U14 game yesterday - 2 or 3 players wearing leggings I noticed.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Couldn't resist resurrecting the thread for this one:

Player (I was ref coach not ref) appeared to be wearing padded undershorts. Skins type things that appeared to have 10-15mm of padding. I mentioned this to his coach after the game who said who was it? Some of the boys said that this boy played wearing his pyjammas, presumably rolled or folded up above the knee and under his skins undershorts. Coach was going to talk to him about this, but what do you guys think?

unless there is a manifest safety risk (a visible belt buckle or something) No coach or ref should pay any attention at all to the underwear worn by age-group players.

SmeejDad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
In both games that I ref'd this weekend I had at least one player wearing leggings... in the ladies game there were quite a few. Just to save myself reading back through 122 pages of this thread could someone quickly confirm whether I should be asking them to remove leggings before kick-off? In my first season of refereeing so am unsure!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In England
- adult males : no
- adult females : yes
- age group : basically it's no longer completely clear, use your judgement

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
using the forum default for number of posts per page it is now 124 pages - Thanks didds!

Either way its 1231 posts in this thread going back over 6 years...about leggings.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
could someone quickly confirm whether I should be asking them to remove leggings before kick-off?

In England
- adult males : no
- adult females : yes

Haven't you got that the wrong way round?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
oops

In England
- adult males : no leggings
- adult females : leggings allowed

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
unless there is a manifest safety risk (a visible belt buckle or something) No coach or ref should pay any attention at all to the underwear worn by age-group players.

Boys was school boys - first 15 for a private school near Edinburgh. Coach is a school master, so has all appropriate authority in these matter. You cannot just go by visible risk as a few years ago a young lady was killed when her underwiring became dislodged and ultimately stabbed her in the heart. So I generally remind players that jewellery, piercings etc have all to be removed - covered by tape is not sufficient and ask for confirmation that there are no fastenings of any garments that may pose a risk.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Is anything worn under the kilt?

Noo. It's orl in purrrfect working orderrrr ye ken!

*Naw
*al
*Pehrrfect

This is Edinburgh. There's a certain way way they pronounce that word that is close to the Fife pronunciation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Boys was school boys - first 15 for a private school near Edinburgh. Coach is a school master, so has all appropriate authority in these matter. You cannot just go by visible risk as a few years ago a young lady was killed when her underwiring became dislodged and ultimately stabbed her in the heart. So I generally remind players that jewellery, piercings etc have all to be removed - covered by tape is not sufficient and ask for confirmation that there are no fastenings of any garments that may pose a risk.

I rather suspect that bra story is an urban myth ..

Issue general guidance by all means, ask for for declarations if you must, but neither refs nor coaches should be tempted to embark upon any type of underwear inspection...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
... but neither refs nor coaches should be tempted to embark upon any type of underwear inspection...

No one has suggested they should?