[Tackle] Offside after tackle?

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Hi everyone,

please look at the picture:

attachment.php

Blue 1 tackles Red 1, no Ruck is formed.
Red 9 passes the ball to his team-mate, but Blue 4 grabs it (he was returning to his part of the field.

Is this offside? Ball should be played from behind, but is Blue 4 to be considere playing the ball?

Attachments

• rugby.jpg
    rugby.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 312

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Blue 1 tackles Red 1, no Ruck is formed.
Red 9 passes the ball to his team-mate, but Blue 4 grabs it (he was returning to his part of the field).

Is this offside? Ball should be played from behind, but is Blue 4 to be considered playing the ball?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
There are no offside lines at a tackle. There are joining offences. Once the ball is passed away from the tackle area (1 metre) normal "open play" offside applies.

Last edited:

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
There are no offside lines at a tackle. There are joining offences. Once the ball is passed away from the tackle area (1 metre) normal "open play" offside applies.

as I imagined, thank you

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Pegleg is correct, open play; play on.

Just be aware thought that he might be offside from a previous breakdown as a lazy runner. If this incident is in isolation you are correct, but we do need to consider what happened before it.

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Pegleg is correct, open play; play on.

Just be aware thought that he might be offside from a previous breakdown as a lazy runner. If this incident is in isolation you are correct, but we do need to consider what happened before it.

Of course, I assumed that player's never been at an offside position previously

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
this is a common thing in southern hemisphere rugby, it's not really caught on up here yet, but it will (unless WR come in and do something about it, which I think they will)

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
I think there should be an offside line even after a simple tackle...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the problem with creating formal offside loines (I think this was trialled as a ELV ?) is that once a runner breaks the defensive line and every defender is behind him, a tackle puts the entire defensive side offside and it would almost be impossible to ever reach a stage whereby they can get back onside to defend - they wold have to be running significantly faster than the attackers to achieve this.

So the nend result will either be a lot more undefendable tries, or yellow cards potentially with PTs as defenders now just tackle in offside postitions. You'd possibly have a lot more PTs being awarded for offside tackles inside the attacker's own half.

didds

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
the problem with creating formal offside loines (I think this was trialled as a ELV ?) is that once a runner breaks the defensive line and every defender is behind him, a tackle puts the entire defensive side offside and it would almost be impossible to ever reach a stage whereby they can get back onside to defend - they wold have to be running significantly faster than the attackers to achieve this.

So the nend result will either be a lot more undefendable tries, or yellow cards potentially with PTs as defenders now just tackle in offside postitions. You'd possibly have a lot more PTs being awarded for offside tackles inside the attacker's own half.

didds

I see what you're saying but they could just ignore the ball untill they come back to an on-side position.
I see a lot of players exploting this situation, they just wait for the ball to be passed and intercept it, they always come back where the ball is going to be passed (who knows why? :chin:)
If you are worried....there could be exceptions (ball is passed 2 times, ball carrier runs for 3/5 meters, an opponet player touches the ball or the ball carrier).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
they just wait for the ball to be passed and intercept it,

attacking should pick & drive, force a ruck, then offside lines created

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I see what you're saying but they could just ignore the ball untill they come back to an on-side position..

they could ... but they have got to run faster than a sprinting attacker, get past him, get in fornt of him, and effect a tackle.

almost any back that's received the ball post tackle from quick ball eg a pop up WILL score. (after a line break)

didds

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
they could ... but they have got to run faster than a sprinting attacker, get past him, get in fornt of him, and effect a tackle.

almost any back that's received the ball post tackle from quick ball eg a pop up WILL score. (after a line break)

didds

That would force the defence line not to leave anyone loose :biggrin:
but i can understand your point and agree with you

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well I'm not convinced that any defense ever tries to leave an attacker loose...

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... I see a lot of players exploiting this situation, they just wait for the ball to be passed and intercept it, they always come back where the ball is going to be passed (who knows why? :chin:)
Err ... perhaps because they think they'll get the ball and score?

attacking should pick & drive, force a ruck, then offside lines created
Exactly. Only "physical contact" (as opposed to a full bind) is needed to form a ruck. If Greens were switched on, they could have picked up the ball and gone forward unopposed, or grab a Gold player in the tackle area (forming a ruck) and put Pocock out of the game.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When tactics change to exploit a laws loophole (ie. no offsides lines formed at tackle) there is a tendancy to jump in with a laws mod to 'fix' the problem. Such is the case with the SH law trials.

I'm not in favor of this. I'd rather see this as an opportunity for the game to adjust such as been suggested here. Unfortunately it complicates refereeing somewhat.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
the problem with creating formal offside loines (I think this was trialled as a ELV ?) [Yes, it was] is that once a runner breaks the defensive line and every defender is behind him, a tackle puts the entire defensive side offside and it would almost be impossible to ever reach a stage whereby they can get back onside to defend - they wold have to be running significantly faster than the attackers to achieve this.

didds
... and that is what happened almost immediately when it was being trialled so it was dropped.

cccref

Referees in Italy
Post Likes
Well then....live and let live.
It's just important that both teams know this and play their game:smile: