Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What the f**k have you done! :shrug:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
We kept GITMO open and shut down the Clinton Global Initiative. That is 2 positives thus far. The Clinton Foundation is next.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
they have done what the electorate of the UK managed in June.

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Overall Trump won approximately 2,600 counties to Clinton’s 500, or about 84% of the geographic United States. However, Clinton won 88 of of the 100 largest counties (including Washington D.C.). Without these 100 largest counties she would have lost by 11.5 million votes.

We explained the electoral college.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Will you PLEASE take Farage?

You can have Johnson as well on a BOGOF offer, no problems.

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Will you PLEASE take Farage?

You can have Johnson as well on a BOGOF offer, no problems.

didds

I'll see your Johnson and raise it a Corbyn :biggrin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Nahh. Corbyn is an internal issue.

Farage and Johnson are international idiots

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Overall Trump won approximately 2,600 counties to Clinton’s 500, or about 84% of the geographic United States. However, Clinton won 88 of of the 100 largest counties (including Washington D.C.). Without these 100 largest counties she would have lost by 11.5 million votes.

We explained the electoral college.

And without Florida, Texas, Florida, Georgia and Michigan Trump would have lost.

If you start arbitrarily discarding sections of the electorate you can make the result say whatever you want.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
And without Florida, Texas, Florida, Georgia and Michigan Trump would have lost.

If you start arbitrarily discarding sections of the electorate you can make the result say whatever you want.

This, in a nutshell, is what an electoral college is all about.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

1. You counted FLA twice

2. We only need to discard 3 states for Hilary win not four. Just FLA, TX, and (GA or MICH) would suffice

3. Thank you for your interest in electoral college, and explaining that populous counties do not decide elections. Populous states do.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'll see your Johnson ...
No pics please Dickie E. :biggrin:

This, in a nutshell, is what an electoral college is all about.
Am I being thick? In a 2 horse race, why do the Americans need the complication of an Electoral College? :chin:

Why not just have a national election - no need to count states or counties - just add up all the votes and the one with most votes wins.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No pics please Dickie E. :biggrin:

Am I being thick? In a 2 horse race, why do the Americans need the complication of an Electoral College? :chin:

Why not just have a national election - no need to count states or counties - just add up all the votes and the one with most votes wins.

Sounds like a referendum!:biggrin:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

I believe it is designed to keep the common man down. My net worth was invested in a sure fire company that made easter egg colored, pear shaped pants suits designed for post menopausal women/or men (to be political correct).

I'm currently worth $ 439, because today was payday. I lost everything cause of this damned electoral college thing from that constitution thing a ma bob.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In a 2 horse race, why do the Americans need the complication of an Electoral College? :chin:
The system was devised back in the 18th century when communication across the USA was extremely slow. With a written constitution such things are hard to change, and the winning side has no incentive to do so.

The Constitution was heavily influenced by Montesquieu et al whose ideas on the Separation of Powers are built in. You elect a President (Executive) separately from Congress(Legislative) and have a nominally unrelated Justice system.

The system means you can elect a President with no political (or military) background. Whether that is good or not remains to be seen.

There is no perfect electoral system since the criteria tend to conflict. Clinton got 48.2% of the popular vote against Trump's 46.1% - and our system of constituencies can produce the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.