[Tackle] Hands on the shoulders, High Tackle?

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The challenges of of a tackle from behind, grabbing the shoulders are different to what the WR 'clarifications' were related to, which clearly recognised issues and dangersto the tackler (as well as the tackled play) from tackling high in a head on scenario.

Back to the question, I don't see a hand on a shoulder as a high tackle, however if that hand then goes over the shoulder and across the chest, you then get the seatbelt type tackle which contacts the neck, is clearly dangerous and should be penalised. There are also issues if you use that hand (or both hands) to effectively leverage the player backwards (rather than downwards) in a similar effect to a clothesline tackle, which again is clearly dangerous and which I would penalise.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Chasing back yesterday as the last man, I had this thread in mind. I caught the ball carrier, and placed my left hand on the outside of his left shoulder (end of the collar bone) to check his stride/pull him back. My right arm went round the top of his right arm on to the ball, and I completed the tackle.

I thought I'd put my hands on him carefully enough that I'd get away with it, seeing as I didn't go over the shoulder, pull his shirt etc, but nope - PT conceded from 30m out!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Should have gone for his legs :chin:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Chasing back yesterday as the last man, I had this thread in mind. I caught the ball carrier, and placed my left hand on the outside of his left shoulder (end of the collar bone) to check his stride/pull him back. My right arm went round the top of his right arm on to the ball, and I completed the tackle.

I thought I'd put my hands on him carefully enough that I'd get away with it, seeing as I didn't go over the shoulder, pull his shirt etc, but nope - PT conceded from 30m out!

I often see the ref chasing back as the last man (showing he can) when all have given up hope!

But to then to take things into your own hands seems a bit extreme!

And to cap things off, you then award a penalty try against yourself!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Card?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I often see the ref chasing back as the last man (showing he can) when all have given up hope!

But to then to take things into your own hands seems a bit extreme!

And to cap things off, you then award a penalty try against yourself!

I was recently playing more often than refereeing. It is about 50:50 at the moment

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Should have done, tried to stop the offload (I say tried, I mean succeeded!)

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly no. I asked the ref why not after the match (obviously not at the time), and there was no reason forthcoming

A bitter sweet irony. If only he had realised!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Surprisingly no. I asked the ref why not after the match (obviously not at the time), and there was no reason forthcoming

maybe he'll save it up for next time he refs you :yellow: