Primary duties

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In effect yes , but even though we are appointed and have flagging powers we are still officially refereed to as TJs.

as in "touchie, are your f***ing eyes painted on?!!!"

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
and, as I understand it in RFU land, the AR has to be appointed to the game. So if Wayne Barnes was strolling past and offered to run touch, he would be a TJ, not an AR.

Same here we just don't have a a specific course / qualification.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In effect yes , but even though we are appointed and have flagging powers we are still officially refereed to as TJs.

Not it sure what the logic behind it is .

I think this is a confusion. The whole difference between a TJ and an AR is that the AR has been officially appointed

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think this is a confusion. The whole difference between a TJ and an AR is that the AR has been officially appointed

but only in RFU land and some other exotic places.

Tell me, if one of the ARs doesn't show (traffic, etc), does the other AR have regular AR powers? Who runs the other line?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And at what level pray tell, does it become adviseable or a requirement to have an AR (a luxury in most cases I suspect) rather than just having to rely on the informal appointment of a TJ.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know .. L6 ?
But we also appoint AR for lower level games that are special .. cup finals , last game of season top of table clash , other special games

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
but only in RFU land and some other exotic places.

Tell me, if one of the ARs doesn't show (traffic, etc), does the other AR have regular AR powers? Who runs the other line?

Wales , Exotic? I heard our beautiful country describe in many ways but never exotic!

Here If one AR fails to attend and a replacement is available a quick call to the office will, usually, get the replacement made official.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
and, as I understand it in RFU land, the AR has to be appointed to the game. So if Wayne Barnes was strolling past and offered to run touch, he would be a TJ, not an AR.

If it was me I think it would work out better all round if WB became the referee, and I would act as his AR !

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If it was me I think it would work out better all round if WB became the referee, and I would act as his AR !

except you couldn't cos you weren't appointed as AR. Best you could do is TJ

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
except you couldn't cos you weren't appointed as AR. Best you could do is TJ

WB would also have to be appointed, even if at the last minute, so CR could be appointed as the AR at the same time.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
If only one of the appointed TJs/ARs doesn’t turn up then you are downgraded to a Reg TJ with no flagging powers.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If only one of the appointed TJs/ARs doesn’t turn up then you are downgraded to a Reg TJ with no flagging powers.

So you can only have 2 ARs or 2 TJs - not one of each?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Effectively yes , which is a total pain in the arse if ever the other AR doesn't turn up.

That is bizarre and I really struggle to see any logic to it. So you rock up, all ready to be an AR, and because Fred, the other AR, is stuck in traffic, you're only a TJ & have to turn a blind eye to foul play.

What happens if Fred gets there at half time, are you both ARs for the 2nd half? If so, can you then report the punch that occurred at 39 minutes in the first half?

It's very diiferent here (& better, IMO). Over here, if you have an AR qualification then you are an official AR at any game where they stick a flag in your hand.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That is bizarre and I really struggle to see any logic to it. So you rock up, all ready to be an AR, and because Fred, the other AR, is stuck in traffic, you're only a TJ & have to turn a blind eye to foul play.

What happens if Fred gets there at half time, are you both ARs for the 2nd half? If so, can you then report the punch that occurred at 39 minutes in the first half?

It's very diiferent here (& better, IMO). Over here, if you have an AR qualification then you are an official AR at any game where they stick a flag in your hand.

what if you have a refereeing qualification? Does that qualify you to be an AR as regards running the line?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what if you have a refereeing qualification? Does that qualify you to be an AR as regards running the line?

As I understand it (after being told by one of the ARU ref coaches less than 6 weeks ago) Referee Level 1 does not give you the ability to be an AR, but if this is true, it is an example of the stupidity of the modern world.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As I understand it (after being told by one of the ARU ref coaches less than 6 weeks ago) Referee Level 1 does not give you the ability to be an AR, but if this is true, it is an example of the stupidity of the modern world.

Special understanding of the touchline paperwork and admin perhaps?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Surely that depends upon what the L1 qualification is in Aus. Here I doubt you would be appointed as an aR if you were L1.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Surely that depends upon what the L1 qualification is in Aus. Here I doubt you would be appointed as an aR if you were L1.

99% (or at least the vast majority) of refs in Australia are L1. That let's you referee any amateur game. Many like me have done the Level 2 theory but never bothered to get the full accreditation. As has been said before, anyone here with an Ar accreditation is an Ar with full powers anytime they are on a sideline with a flag - appointed or not, and no game is supposed to kick off unless there are 2 accredited AR's

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How does an accredited AR end up on the sideline without being appointed ?
Do they prowl local rugby clubs with a flag in their pocket ,taking control of a touchline when no one is looking ?