Free Kick moved back

breako

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Team awarded free 2m outside 22. If they kick to touch, because it is a free kick and outside the 22, the other team will get the lineout from where was taken from.

But, since you can take a FK from the mark or anywhere behind, if they move 2M back so they are back inside the 22, and then take the FK and that goes straight into touch where is the lineout taken from?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If they take kick from inside the 22m they have carried it back

As a referee advancing a kick for not being 10 or for backchat ... you shouldn't advance a FK out of the 22 .. for that reason .. it makes it worse for them

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As a referee advancing a kick for not being 10 or for backchat ... you shouldn't advance a FK out of the 22 ..

so what should you do?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so what should you do?

Well for dissent you'd give a PK anyway , right , so that solves that

For not being 10 , I'd measure a short ten metres , to keep it inside the 22 ...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Give the captain an option with explanation? Fundamentally though, this example highlights just how useless free kicks are, particularly since the introduction of the taken back in laws.

Another fag packet law.

Didds

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I disagree they are not beneficial. This is a particular problem in a very specific scenario. Beyond that I see advantages of a free kick option in many situations, and much better that over penalising (penalty) or reverting to the scrum all the time. Great way of keeping the game flowing, allowing a team to advance (should they choose). Teams always have the scrum option but rarely take it suggesting this is a good law.

Unless you were talking about the taken back in law, in which case I've ranted on for nothing.....:horse:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
But in between the 22s in particular, free kicks DO revert to a scrum most of the time!!! If that is a rationale for awarding free kicks it is manifestly failing!

All the needs to be allowed is a FK to be permitted to be kicked directly to touch from anywhere. The throw can go with the opposition still maybe to keep the concept of a "lesser" penalty. That's merely one idea.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Team's "rarely" take a scrum for a FK?not from what I see.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
didds
You want someone on the laws committee to think hard about the laws and check the corner cases are treated logically.

The wife sent me out for a supply of rocking horse droppings to put on her roses - I think I might find that first.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But in between the 22s in particular, free kicks DO revert to a scrum most of the time!!! If that is a rationale for awarding free kicks it is manifestly failing!

All the needs to be allowed is a FK to be permitted to be kicked directly to touch from anywhere. The throw can go with the opposition still maybe to keep the concept of a "lesser" penalty. That's merely one idea.

Not a bad idea