[Golden Oldies] Restart after a score

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
https://youtu.be/uHnvTiGA7kI

My question relates to the scenario at 2:45.

Should this not have been a restart as the non-kicking team weren't on or behind their 10m line? Is the purpose of the Law to allow the non kicking team the chance to have numbers to defend (not necessarily to be in the correct formation), but to have the chance to return the kick?

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Try should not stand for the reason you quote as well as a different ball being used at the restart. Referee error.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
https://youtu.be/uHnvTiGA7kI

My question relates to the scenario at 2:45.

Should this not have been a restart as the non-kicking team weren't on or behind their 10m line? Is the purpose of the Law to allow the non kicking team the chance to have numbers to defend (not necessarily to be in the correct formation), but to have the chance to return the kick?
2017[LAWS]13.4 POSITION OF THE OPPOSING TEAM AT A KICK-OFFAll the opposing team must stand on or behind the 10-metre line. If they are in front of that
line or if they charge before the ball is kicked, it is kicked off again.[/LAWS]
2019[LAWS] KICK-OFFS AND RESTART KICKS FOLLOWING A SCORE

• When the ball is kicked:
    • Team-mates of the kicker must be behind the ball. Sanction: Scrum.
    • Opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line. Sanction: The kick is retaken.
[/LAWS]
Unfortunately up to 2017 the law failed to say what should happen at a restart kick. However the latest law seems clear enough: the kicking team has to allow the opposition to get back behind the 10m line. Presumably it is for the referee to ensure they do not waste time in doing so.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks, it didn't look right to me when I saw it.