[Scrum] Kick off not 10.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This has never happened to me before but what would you guys do if you had a team that was either a really incompetent kicker or just having a really, really bad day.
So - KO/Restart, not going 10. Non-kicking team selects to have the kick again. Same result, again selects kick again. We're now onto 3rd restart attempt.
Can you escalate to Penalty in this case or ...
Would you just no longer give options and just award a scrum or...
Just keep offering options till a kick goes long enough or the non-kicking team select a scrum?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would take the kick for them :pepper:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Does that mean we could also slot into the No 8 slot at the back of a scrum too :holysheep:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I have sympathies with the incompetence thing, but tbh if its eg the #10 that has failed so many tiems I think it would be reasonable to suggest to the skipper he finds somebody else to try. Id be amazed if there wasnt one person out of 15 that cant drop the ball to floor so that just as it bounces they can connect with a boot and send it further than 10 metres!

I'd wager that at least one of the props can drop kick!

I cant find a video of it now but some years afgo a Fijian tried to kick off/restart against england (iirc) by throwing tghe ball long axis into the air, backspinning and after it had bounced then kicking it on the half volley . It wasnt allowed!

didds

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think I would escalate to a Free Kick.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I can only really see this happening at young and low youth level, at which point I'm fine with a straight punt if it restarts the game.

The only way I can see an adult game progressing like that is that the receiving team has a greatly inferior scrum and the kicking team is trying to force a scrum back to get the penalty. In that case, I warn the team that intentional infringement is a penalty against.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I can only really see this happening at young and low youth level, at which point I'm fine with a straight punt if it restarts the game.

The only way I can see an adult game progressing like that is that the receiving team has a greatly inferior scrum and the kicking team is trying to force a scrum back to get the penalty. In that case, I warn the team that intentional infringement is a penalty against.

I had a Ladies Adult comp a few weeks ago. A lot of the ladies were having their 1st ever games. The organizers said that as it was a development comp, then they wanted game coaching rather than reffing. Slight knock-ons ignore, offsides - let them know (unless it's really quite far) for the 1st few. It was unusual but quite fun.

One of the adjusts we made was if there was a struggle to drop kick restart, we tapped and passed. Only stipulation was that the drop kick restart needed to be attempted.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Happens a lot in girls games, especially U13 / U15 friendlies - I ask them to try, if it turns into a punt that goes 10 then play on

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would think you could learn to drop kick a legal restart in less than two minutes

Not a good one, but a legal one

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You would think so, wouldn't you?

On a not unrelated note, I chose refereeing over coaching. :D

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
You would think so, wouldn't you?

On a not unrelated note, I chose refereeing over coaching. :D

I've level 1 on both reffing and coaching (SRU land). Tend to be favouring reffing rather than coaching at least ATM. My local Club want me to coach the S1/S2s (Secondary School 1st and 2nd years). But there are no s1/s2s to coach. So one of the ladies (the match sec) Son is S3/S4 age ATM. So I do 121 fitness coaching with him. ATM main focusing on Speed and direction changes. But will change that up soon to some strength based stuff.