[Law] Sco v Eng - Scrum back?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Here's an interesting point though. 18.23.b very clearly says option lineout/scrum for not-5 (teammate).

At least in the Android app, and I'd guess other forms, there's a film link for illustration of the law, IRE-JAP women's international... And the ref gives a free kick for it!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here's an interesting point though. 18.23.b very clearly says option lineout/scrum for not-5 (teammate).

At least in the Android app, and I'd guess other forms, there's a film link for illustration of the law, IRE-JAP women's international... And the ref gives a free kick for it!

I had forgotten about that!
Ammunition for the ARU viewpoint

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually, checking back 18.25 was introduced in 2019 (unannounced)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think what's happened there is that they set the exam prior to 2017 and haven't updated it (either because they haven't noticed the change, or haven't accepted the change. I wonder which)

They definitely have not updated the exam as there were 2 other "correct" answers that contradicted the 2020 law book. When I queried with RA (ARU) I was advised it was the 2018 test/laws and update not yet made due to time and money (So our law accrediation is based on 2018 laws....yay for Oz rugby administartion!!!)
But that doesnt explain this particular issue...so it seems to be a deliberate RA interpretation to apply a FK.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sinkler ripped the ball after tackled player and he had both gone to ground. I would PK that all day long. Anyone else disagree?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The option is clear, yes, but "teammate"?? What am I missing?
The options are different if it's a teammate who takes the ball within the 5m compared to an opponent who takes the ball within the 5m of the thrower.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't agree with your assessment of the Law.

• The section about the throw being blocked is clearly separate from the requirement that it travel 5m.
  • I think the rewrite means, inadvertently or not, that any failure of throw to go 5m is a scrum.

According to my last advisor BOTH are Free Kicks!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I read 18.23b as any player actually playing the ball (a la the scenario in Sco/Eng where someone catches it before the 5m line), and 18.25 as someone not actually playing the ball (i.e. slapping down a QTI).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I read 18.23b as any player actually playing the ball (a la the scenario in Sco/Eng where someone catches it before the 5m line), and 18.25 as someone not actually playing the ball (i.e. slapping down a QTI).

The QTI equivalent is 8.6. 8.25 is for lineouts
Slapping the ball is playing it
Slapping back is legal, slapping forwards is a PK

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes

Re 18.25 - or someone in the 5m channel just waving arms in front of the thrower trying to prevent the throw (or reduce options), as per the picture in an older Law book ;)

(Btw, I think if they slap it, they have played it)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The way i view it is.......

If the ball doesn't travel 5m its options. i.e. front man caught it before it went 5m, so just bad timing.

If the ball is prevented from going 5m deliberately, its a FK. i.e. opposition standing in the 5m channel and slapping the ball down.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re 18.25 - or someone in the 5m channel just waving arms in front of the thrower trying to prevent the throw (or reduce options), as per the picture in an older Law book ;)

(Btw, I think if they slap it, they have played it)

Treadmore , yes if an opponent steps into the channel and plays the ball, I would give a FK as well. But above you said options

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The way i view it is.......

If the ball doesn't travel 5m its options. i.e. front man caught it before it went 5m, so just bad timing.

If the ball is prevented from going 5m deliberately, its a FK. i.e. opposition standing in the 5m channel and slapping the ball down.

For me that's quite novel .. a catch means options, a slap means a FKm. I don't see how you get that from the Laws

In practice they always catch it ..which means you always give options ?

Last edited:

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Treadmore , yes if an opponent steps into the channel and plays the ball, I would give a FK as well. But above you said options

And I stick with options for the scenario described.

The "blocker" is a bit of an odd one and the only point of reference I have is the the old Laws :-/ And to me blocking was something being done before the ball was thrown (so the question of reaching 5m doesn't even arise). Maybe that's not all it means for some people but it's the best rationalisation I have for now. (And for blocking it's an FK, of course.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
And I stick with options for the scenario described.

The "blocker" is a bit of an odd one and the only point of reference I have is the the old Laws :-/ And to me blocking was something being done before the ball was thrown (so the question of reaching 5m doesn't even arise). Maybe that's not all it means for some people but it's the best rationalisation I have for now. (And for blocking it's an FK, of course.)

I think you are thinking of QTI, where you do get people in the tramlines blocking the throw. (I would actually likely give a PK for that,)

But 18.25 means a line out. You don't have people standing in the tramlines at lineouts . But you do have people leaping across the 5m line to catch a throw. That's what 18.25 is about (for me)

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I think you are thinking of QTI, where you do get people in the tramlines blocking the throw. (I would actually likely give a PK for that,)

But 18.25 means a line out. You don't have people standing in the tramlines at lineouts . But you do have people leaping across the 5m line to catch a throw. That's what 18.25 is about (for me)
I assure you I am thinking of lineout!

Blocking was previously described in the context of standing closer than 5m from touch, and before the ball is thrown (and such an player was also hampering the thrower, or indeed played or caught a throw). For me the current Laws mean the same thing.

If you felt it was deliberate infringing, then a PK is an option of course, but otherwise the blocker is technically in the wrong place doing something otherwise legal, and so a FK.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ok but have you ever seen a lineout commence with someone standing in the tramlines ? I just don't think 8.25 is for that

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Ok but have you ever seen a lineout commence with someone standing in the tramlines ? I just don't think 8.25 is for that
I can't recall an example. It is what the Laws used to show though.Screenshot_20200211-123835.jpg