New Score Card design

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Yes, go on, and I will show you what my scorecard would look like

AIUI you do record missed conversion, that's a single line, rather than a cross, isn't it ?

Sir, I've tried 9 times now - I think the server is rejecting something I'm attempting to post or the it's just crapping out because it hates President's Day.

I feel it.

I'll send this quick reply then try again.

I've done all the steps but just need it not to crash.

Patrick

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously, how does it work ?
Let's say red scored a converted try after 10 mins
Then at 15 mins blue score pK
Then at 20 red score a try, miss the conversion

What would the scorecard look like ?

Here's what mine would look like
IMG_20200218_081932.jpg

(the circel shows that blue kicked off)

PAtrick - you have probably exceeded your quota.. see Settings / Attachments

Last edited:

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I give up.

I tried.

12 times I tried.

500 Errors about half the time.

The rest seem to either crash the server or block me.

I've taken Crossref's advice and cleared out all Attachments which destroyed some of the original posts.

Did all that and tried again not letting the Server retrieve and store to keep the space to 0.

Again, 500 Internal Errors.

... I tried.

Patrick

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think I screwed that reply up - it was for me or in general - right?

Why would I care about when a team doesn't score?

Other then the question of when, do you want me to illustrate an answer to your question - happy to, let me know.

Patrick

Patrick - my question was aimed at crossref about his desire for recording the time with the score.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I keep times to help me remember the structure of the game, it helps me reflect post-match. And to show the score at the time of giving cards, in case - it's part of a sending-off report.

I can't remember the last time I had a dispute (in the sense of someone thinking I had the score wrong) but yes, exactly, if anyone wants to check the score with me then knowing the sequence of scores, and the success/failure of each kick at goal definitely helps the narrative

Gotcha....kudos for you to make that effort to get what you need. Personally I havent got the time to worry about recording times and never have had the inclination (and I have the lucky luxury that most of my games are recorded so I can review them at liesure afterwards)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Gotcha....kudos for you to make that effort to get what you need. Personally I havent got the time to worry about recording times and never have had the inclination (and I have the lucky luxury that most of my games are recorded so I can review them at liesure afterwards)

I glance at my watch, and write the minute only. It takes a tiny amount of time , and worth it for me. My scorecard is (it seems to me) minimal effort for maximum clarity (see post 22) But everyone has their preferred scorecard, and they are all different.

Menace what would your score card look like , with the same sequence of scores ... ? I am interested

And anyone elses ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I give up.

I tried.

12 times I tried.

500 Errors about half the time.

The rest seem to either crash the server or block me.

I've taken Crossref's advice and cleared out all Attachments which destroyed some of the original posts.

Did all that and tried again not letting the Server retrieve and store to keep the space to 0.

Again, 500 Internal Errors.

... I tried.

Patrick

Why not upload to Dropbox or Google drive and then simply post a link to it?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Indeed. No criticism from me. Time stats are not something I can or will record on the run.
I use this score sheet...and just make stroke in the relevent box. I keep it minimal.

Screenshot_20200218-221009_Drive.jpg

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, what would it look like , with the same sequence number fnscores as post 22 ?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On the left section - put 2 strokes (ll) in the T box and one stroke (l) in the C box.
On the right section put one stroke (I) in the P box.
Presto.
Im sure you can do it if you want....it is very therapeutic.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So I like my layout as
.. even without noting the time my layout gives you the sequence of scores
.. I like to positively record a missed conversion. So that I can be certain it was a miss, after a particular try, and not me forgetting to make a mark somewhere along the way

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use an app Try Rugby Pro Scoring. I keep an old phone for the job. It has features I don't need and can ignore. All the events record in order and can be deleted in the case of errors. Therefore, I have scores at the times of; cards, hakf time etc.

I use the fuller version when assessing refs at my club so I get all the PKs / reasoning etc.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I tend to reflect and fret about decisions and outcomes on the drive home and most of all day Sunday.

I find if I don't take 20 minutes to debrief myself and think about good and bad points, improvements etc, I'll be milling it over far too much later.

I'd love to have more recorded games to view, they're the most useful feedback tool there is! I'm almost never short of time between a try and a conversion, or the conversion and kickoff, to mark a letter and number, but I can see for some it's unnecessary distraction.

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Why not upload to Dropbox or Google drive and then simply post a link to it?

Sir, I own two vehicles - a late model Toyota Land Cruiser (holds exactly 7 medium U16 players - a 7's team actually) and a 1984 Jeep CJ-7.

My point - I spend a lot of time screwing around with forums - TONS of pictures and such uploaded.

I use Postimage as the default image host. It's free, super simple and it's NOT that other service the holds everyone hostage for their old pictures.

My last 7 or so attempts on this site ALL were using a 3rd party image hosting site (Postimage).

Same failure.

I'll stuff some oatmeal down my throat and try again later.

VERY frustrating.

Patrick

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Internal-error-from-rugby-ref-site.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

15 attempts now......

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I use an app Try Rugby Pro Scoring. I keep an old phone for the job. It has features I don't need and can ignore. All the events record in order and can be deleted in the case of errors. Therefore, I have scores at the times of; cards, hakf time etc.

I use the fuller version when assessing refs at my club so I get all the PKs / reasoning etc.

You run around the field with a phone in your pocket??:wow::wow::wow: Surely the phone bouncing about is restrictive?!
(Exactly what we tell our teenage refs not to do..use their phone as their stopwatch).

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Phone is lighter, and smaller than, a notebook and is waterproof. Therfore never an issue. It's both accurate and clear. What's not to like? Tech is out there to help. Embrace it!

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Phone is lighter, and smaller than, a notebook and is waterproof. Therfore never an issue. It's both accurate and clear. What's not to like? Tech is out there to help. Embrace it!

It's not tech I'm dishing (i use my phone and app for referee coaching). And great that your phone is small and inconspicuous. It would be good to know what brand and model it is. All the times ive seen a referee using a phone it looks ridiculous to see their iphone jiggling around when they run, or worse when they put one hand on their pocket in attempts to stop it jiggling!