New Score Card design

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's not tech I'm dishing (i use my phone and app for referee coaching). And great that your phone is small and inconspicuous. It would be good to know what brand and model it is. All the times ive seen a referee using a phone it looks ridiculous to see their iphone jiggling around when they run, or worse when they put one hand on their pocket in attempts to stop it jiggling!

Samsung S8, it's a waterproof android phone (less bulky than Apple). Thinner than the card wallet I carry. I've not had spectators notice it's a phone. Note one adverse comment from a player, coach Spectator or advisor. It's my old phone so no worries about it getting knocked. also it is not connected to a network so it does not ring during a game!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Samsung S8, it's a waterproof android phone (less bulky than Apple). Thinner than the card wallet I carry. I've not had spectators notice it's a phone. Note one adverse comment from a player, coach Spectator or advisor. It's my old phone so no worries about it getting knocked. also it is not connected to a network so it does not ring during a game!
Interesting. Thanks.

I have an S9 and it's essentially same size as S8 and I couldn't
/wouldn't run with that in my pocket. But glad it's effective for you and not noticeable to others...I think thats the key bit!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting. Thanks.

I have an S9 and it's essentially same size as S8 and I couldn't
/wouldn't run with that in my pocket. But glad it's effective for you and not noticeable to others...I think thats the key bit!

Indeed. Furthermore, I have terrible hand writing and this takes care of that problems. I also no longer carry my notebook Just my phone an card wallet. Less weight and no soaked score cards. Quite an issue in these parts!

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Except that I don't think we want the steps , just what does the card look like at the end

(Because the key advantage of my layout is that you can see the steps built in !)

This:
Demo Step 5 (Small).jpg

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
A schematic for my sheet in a theoretical game - it's all handwritten in a blank lined notebook

Code:
20/2/20         RC Red            Blue RFC*
14:31           T C     17'           DG  23'
                T -     40'       T -     32'
                ==============================
                     PG 72'       T C     41'
                                  T C     76'
                                  T -     79'
                ==============================
                15                  27

5 Off HI 17'
                13 YC HT 74.15'

Subs            111               11111 11

Does it bother you when you have to change ribbons at the Half - 'cause that part would drive me crazy....
Soldier with typewriter.jpg

(sorry, that was a softball pitch, had to hit it....)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Haha, don't be silly - Rutherford, my faithful amanuensis, follows me around the pitch taking notes in shorthand. He types them up after the match while I'm changing into evening dress.
;)

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Haha, don't be silly - Rutherford, my faithful amanuensis, follows me around the pitch taking notes in shorthand. He types them up after the match while I'm changing into evening dress.
;)

Rutherford - laughing my ass off - damn funny!

See, I think our Good Man Ruthy is indeed following you around but is using my Score Card to track all the particulars then, and only then, does he transcribe to his trusty Smith-Corona for your inspection and any final touches your might have.

Patrick

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This is the scorecard we used in Herts. My only complaint is that I'm running out of them!

Herts Rugby Scorecard.jpg

For the score section, I note the time and shade in the box that corresponds to type of score. For offences, I can note time, yellow or red, player number, pitch location very quickly. I haven't found an adequate substitute since I changed Societies.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is the scorecard we used in Herts. My only complaint is that I'm running out of them!

View attachment 3995

For the score section, I note the time and shade in the box that corresponds to type of score. For offences, I can note time, yellow or red, player number, pitch location very quickly. I haven't found an adequate substitute since I changed Societies.

That's the best scorecard I have seen, IMO, not least because it exactly supports how I like to score .. new line for each score showing the sequence of the scores and the time. I like that

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

View attachment 3995

Photocopy?

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Photocopy?

That’s what I’m going to have to resort to, but the originals are on nice thick card that holds up well if they get rained on while being marked. Not sure how well regular printer paper will do in rainy conditions.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
DEpending on the printer / copier you can post on reasonably thick card.the other (more expensive option) is to go to a printer. Perhaps if a few refs clubbed together it might not be too bad.

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes

View attachment 3995

Very interesting.

Send me a better resolution version with paper size - I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Patrick

Patrick

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
That’s what I’m going to have to resort to, but the originals are on nice thick card that holds up well if they get rained on while being marked. Not sure how well regular printer paper will do in rainy conditions.

Pablo, SEND it and I'll rebuild it.

Patrick

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Pablo, SEND it and I'll rebuild it.

Patrick

Sure thing - PM me an email address, and I will send you the photo at full res.

Re: paper size, it fits a standard referee wallet, of the type you can buy from any online football store.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I'd be interested too.

Sure thing - PM me an email address, and I will send you the photo at full res.

Re: paper size, it fits a standard referee wallet, of the type you can buy from any online football store.