[QUESTION] How do I "ignore" a thread so it doesnt even show in a forum list of threads?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How do I "ignore" a thread so it doesnt even show in a forum list of threads?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: How do I "ignore" a thread so it doesnt even show in a forum list of threads?

This was possible, using a hack, up to Version 3.8. In later versions, that hack no longer works

We have Version 4.2.3

Some time ago Robbie was considering switching the forum over to Xenforo. AFAIK, that cannot even be hacked to achieve the function you want.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: How do I "ignore" a thread so it doesnt even show in a forum list of threads?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you sick of the Chiefs thread? In the words of the Eagles "you can check out but you can never leave". :)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Not "sick" of it... it just has reached a stage (somewhile ago) where its no longer about rugby . Its now just semantics and has long passed the point of moving the debate offline.

whatever.

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

you could always ask an admin to close it.

Personally, I find it somewhat cathartic. I get the opportunity to explore my unconscious biases in a safe space. YMMV, of course.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

mods should curate threads away, it's what they are for.
It's like the way we ref, spotting potential trouble and extinguishing it before it's a problem

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Personally, I find it somewhat cathartic. I get the opportunity to explore my unconscious biases in a safe space. YMMV, of course.

Id imagine the admins can work stuff like that out for themselves. It just keeps popping up when there is an update - Id rather just be able to set it so it never appears to me but everybody else can carry on, given it cant clearly be taken offline between various protagonsits.

no biggy. i just wondered if there was an automagic method to ignore the thrtead completely.

ill just continue to manually filter it

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

We have always modded with a light touch, and only close threads in rare circumstances. The Chiefs thread is not yet one of those circumstances.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

There is a super low tech solution here, it's called the scroll on by method, if you see something you don't like, or that is no longer interesting to you, you just keep scrolling on by.:booty:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes

I was expecting a sarcasm emoji with your opportunity sentence

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

At the top right you have thread tools and can unsubscribe from the discussion.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

This does not prevent the thread from appearing for didds.

The easiest way to ignore a thread is to.... umm... just ignore it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Ive checked that and Im not subscribed in order to unsubscribe... and being unsubscribed doesnt mean the thread doesnt show every time there is an update 9see below)

The options I have are

show printable version
email this page
subscribe to the thread...

generally speaking i guess my "problem" is that I use typically the forum-new posts option to find updated etc posts to read, rather than wade through each forum section one by one.

So an update to the chiefs thread shows up - and will always show up- in new posts until I actually open it. So even if I then do nothing more it still needs direct addressing as a "scroll on by" doesn't eventually over time work, as all threads that get updated that I am ignoring just stay in the "new posts" section.

However, as there is no simple method (or even a hard one! LOL) to set a thread to "never tell me there's an update" Ill obviously continue to have to enter the thread and then leave it again.

No biggy.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Uh, no.

When I log on, I go to "What's New", then "New Posts"
My view then is by thread, not by post. That way I just select the threads I want to read.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Uh, no.

When I log on, I go to "What's New", then "New Posts"
My view then is by thread, not by post. That way I just select the threads I want to read.

yes - i may have been ambiguous. that is what i see ie by thread. if I do not visit that thread (eg becasue I am ignoring it) it remains in "new posts" for ever potentially. So whilst I can ignore it potentially over time I could jhave multiple threads I am "passing over" - but they still show under new threads. eventually potentially I reach a scituation of wood for the trees in that I am now have to look at the threads to find the ones i am interested in. its easier to not have the "ignored thread" showing so i diont get wood for trees. But the only way to do that is to actually visit the thread, even it I then immedaitaely return to new posts etc etc

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Any threads started by Dickie E I just ignore - that works for me. :D

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

Doesn’t work on this update of the software. Another forum I frequently visit has the latest update and adding someone to your ignore list means threads they started become invisible to you. No notifications, can’t see it when you visit that sub forum, etc. Currently the ignored member’s posts are hidden, but you can click on them to view. Discussions started by them are still notified and visible.

PS to ignore Dickie isn’t possible with the software, only willpower works.
[LAWS]Sorry Dickie E is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

PS to ignore Dickie isn’t possible with the software, only willpower works.

... many have tried, but few have succeeded, ignoring The Dick!

Last edited: