U14

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Obviously we missed all of last year so have moved straight from u12 to u14 without playing any games. In order to prepare for next season in the hope we will be playing more normally, for u14 what is the process for line outs in England. Do the side throwing in have to win it? What is meant by it being uncontested? Do the non throwing side just have to stand and watch?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what does reg 15 )IIRC) say?

google regulation 15 rFU ?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Throwing side should win, uncontested means in the air, once the jumper (no lifting) feet land they can maul as normal, if the throw is that bad that it lands in non throwing sides arms regardless then options or play on

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Throwing side should win, uncontested means in the air, once the jumper (no lifting) feet land they can maul as normal, if the throw is that bad that it lands in non throwing sides arms regardless then options or play on

This, but with a pause after the catch - if the throwing team wish to move the ball away from the LO immediately then they should be allowed to do so. If they wish to form a maul along the line of touch then game on for all.

That's my interpretation for Hampshire Schools Tournaments.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This, but with a pause after the catch - if the throwing team wish to move the ball away from the LO immediately then they should be allowed to do so. If they wish to form a maul along the line of touch then game on for all.

That's my interpretation for Hampshire Schools Tournaments.

That’s not in the NROP, maybe a tournament specific thing, there’s a specific Lineout FAQ published here with the detail https://www.englandrugby.com//dxdam...-a34c-957c5a764bcf/resources-line-out-faq.pdf

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Obviously we missed all of last year so have moved straight from u12 to u14 without playing any games. In order to prepare for next season in the hope, we will be playing more normally, for u14 what is the process for line outs in England. Do the side throwing in have to win it? What is meant by it being uncontested? Do the non-throwing side just have to stand and watch?

Before Covid, I refereed my Club’s U14 for a couple of seasons. Based on my experience I would make the following observations.

Firstly, this is about young players learning to develop new skills throwing in and catching the ball in the (uncontested) line out.

I learned very early on to brief players (and coaches) at the pre-match brief that they should stay 10 metres from the line out until it has ended i.e ball has left the lineout or side in possession has created a maul or a ruck.

I would manage by holding my arms up until the line out is over.

Unlike Colts or Senior rugby, I would stand at the back of the line out (on throwing inside). This enabled me to watch throw, catch and players breaking early through the line out or towards back line.

A Referee’s role is to apply relevant (variation) laws to manage and importanty maintain space so these youngsters can enjoy their rugby.

Hope this is of help to club referees and coaches.

Last edited:

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Hi, anyone know if the 50:22 rule and other new laws will apply to u14’s and above this year?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi, anyone know if the 50:22 rule and other new laws will apply to u14’s and above this year?

Officially, I've had no confirmation either way, apart from World Rugby saying 'all competitions' so technically yes. I have heard unofficially that they will be adopted in some form but being debated currently, so hope they give us an answer before September!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In IRFUland the new law trials apply to U13s up....Youths and adults.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

It's up to each union
For England it is rumoured that the RFU will issue something imminently to explain