Fitness during lockdown

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What is everyone doing (if anything) to keep fit during lockdown?

Are you building up your fitness in preparation (hope) of a return to some form of rugby at the end of March/April?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Clubs can play internal youth games here; I reffed an U18 match in October and was wasted by the end of it after several months of laziness!

So I finally found out how to enjoy running, I'm aiming for about 15 miles a week alternating with bodyweight exercises on alternate days, and I'm as fit as I've been in years. I reffed the U18s not too long ago and felt like I barely broke a sweat, it's like day and night :)

Sub-top competition is off for the rest of the season, Dutch rugby have announced. Maybe get some youth sevens in April/May, though. Hopefully I can stay motivated and start off next season in good shape.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've been hitting the Treadly in the afternoon when working from home. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I will be getting the bike out. I likely won't be picking up a whistle until summer or fall, so I'm doing what I can with what resources I have.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Second lockdown I did "Couch to 5k" to get my cardio and recovery times up and found it a good way of building up your fitness.

Unfortunately since losing my job and then getting another (better) one at the end of last year I have done practically nothing in this lockdown.

So I started "Couch to 5K" again and should finish it by the end of the month, I find it a schedule that works without being too onerous on time.

@smeagol I agree, it's all easier now the days are light and we have some sunshine :smile:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm working from home.

Up at 5:45 - 45 mins on the Elliptical then about 2-3km on the road, running - all takes an hour.

10,000 steps by 07h00ish

Shit, shave, shower..

Breakfast.

Sat at the computer by 07h30

I've lost 8kg since August.

Only refereed one game just before Christmas with no mauls and no scrums - really muddy and not much time a for a rest - arm permanently set in FK mode.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am working from home
Wife leaves for work at 6.30
Go back to sleep for 2 hours
Shower, shit and breakfast
I am in front of my computer by 9.05

I have put on 8kg since March

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Managed to keep down to my "fighting" weight most of the time.
Working from home too but take every opportunity for the "legal" hour walk, or get out on my bike. I manage about two 5ks a week too.
I've effectively done "the knowledge" in my own Island and town, been up and down every street!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ermmm, not so good here. Not helped by an arthritic knee, I tried a couch to 5k but too painful to run every day (or even every other day).

Definitely going to have to hit the gym when they reopen to have any hope of being close to match fit.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
normal training here for refs and players. No restrictions.

Pre-season games now in full swing.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fairly low key at the moment. We are going to see nothing until Late August interms of matches. Oddly I'll probably be fitter and lighter than at anythime in the last 20 years.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thank you. I'm walking daily 5 miles. One of the benefits of retirement. S 2½ year old grandaughter "helps".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
for me - there's fitness, and there's fitness. I have to confess to some trepidation about being general "game awareness" (not sure what to call it) after such a long layoff.

remember playing, you'd do all the pre-season fitness etc but then when you actually played the first game oooff.. it was different.
same thing for refs, how easily will we get the feel of the game again. How rusty will we be.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh ye the mental alertness is another world all together. But the better the physical stuff the better the mind.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
A few seasons ago I remember giving myself the whole of May and June off from keeping fit. Big mistake, took me months to get it back.

Especially true for those of us a little bit long in the tooth so I try to keep my fitness up so I can hopefully enjoy my saturdays when we can all play out again

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
She'd catch me. I thik that is why the toys are strategically dropped everywhere. To trip me up.

I am in a similar boat, except the 2yo isn’t built like she’s 2 (pushing 35lb) and loves to dance around the living room listening to Daft Punk. After an hour on the bike today...ufta.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm lucky - we have a free gym near us because of my wife's work. Being a US Military facility it is well equipped.

I am now lighter, and in better condition, than many a long while.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am in a similar boat, except the 2yo isn’t built like she’s 2 (pushing 35lb) and loves to dance around the living room listening to Daft Punk. After an hour on the bike today...ufta.

Our's is going to be a big girl. Her mother is 5'11''. She's already got the grip and the decibels.