PK moves

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I would certainly have to think about whether there was obstruction by Black 4 and 5.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Id imagine its because a kick for a lineout provides your own throw.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I would certainly have to think about whether there was obstruction by Black 4 and 5.

Nah. by the time green gets to 4 and 5 the ball is WAY aways, well past the end of the wall.

Its no different than a cut out pass in front of 12 rto 13 that attracts a defender onto 12 anyway. The green defender hasnt even got to the wall by the time that 9 has moved to the end of the wall.

no way an obstructiion for me. others may uidoutedly believe differently. whatever.

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
look this old fashioned way to take a PK @30s in ... with a quick pass to a little line of players ...

why don't teams do that any more? time for a comeback ?

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/status/1376972494356242440

The old boys' team I sometimes play in still has it in the repertoire. ISTR a game not too long ago, I think it was Tonga, did it twice. Can't find it online though...

You have to be careful not to obstruct, it's a bit of a trick play, but it's valid.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
why don't teams do that any more? time for a comeback ?

I'd imagine 110kg at 20mph straight in your kidneys/lumbar vertebrae might have something to do with it going out of fashion.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
he he, yes indeed ! But I think that must have always been the case.

It's demise coincided with professional Rugby and the advent of improved fitness/(RL) defensive coaches and systems. Maybe explains it?

I recall in a Yorkshire Cup Match in the 80s early 90s my club (when we were good) tried something similar less than 10m from the goal line and our hooker got it straight in the back from a steroid monster (allegedly) - hooker was carried off, prop was sent off (a rarity in those days). He had to walk through the sizable crowd to get to the changing room and was subject to comments about his sportsmanship and his parent's marital state when he was born - until he took his shirt off and everyone shut up! :biggrin:

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Nah. by the time green gets to 4 and 5 the ball is WAY aways, well past the end of the wall.

Its no different than a cut out pass in front of 12 rto 13 that attracts a defender onto 12 anyway. The green defender hasnt even got to the wall by the time that 9 has moved to the end of the wall.

no way an obstructiion for me. others may uidoutedly believe differently. whatever.

didds

Which law would they be contravening? And how is that different when the ball carrier runs behind any stationary player or group of players?

I agree that these moves were killed off by the throw-in from a penalty.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2