[Law] Maul caught from a kick. How to restart after this one ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Red attacking blue in open play. Red 10 decides to kick a up-and-under into the 22. The blue 15 is under it and catches it cleanly. However, he does not call "Mark" . Just as he catches it, 2 red attackers wrap him and blue-11 gets back and binds on to his 15 . Everyone stays on their feet so we have a maul. The red players drive this maul backwards into the in-goal area where it collapses and Blue 15 grounds the ball.

What is the decision ?
(a) Blue 15 carried it into in-goal so its a attacking 5m scrum
(b) Maul from a kick so we give a 5 metre scrum to Blue
(c) Something else

I think I know what my choice is but wondered if it can be affirmed here ( not saying yet to avoid pre-bias )

Thank you , you clever people. !

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not (b) because there is no maul in goal (it evaporated!) so I’m thinking (a) as blue last in possession and took in into in goal. Whether I’d do that with a second or two to think about it after a kick chase remains to be seen!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Red attacking blue in open play. Red 10 decides to kick a up-and-under into the 22. The blue 15 is under it and catches it cleanly. However, he does not call "Mark" . Just as he catches it, 2 red attackers wrap him and blue-11 gets back and binds on to his 15 . Everyone stays on their feet so we have a maul. The red players drive this maul backwards into the in-goal area where it collapses and Blue 15 grounds the ball.

What is the decision ?
(a) Blue 15 carried it into in-goal so its a attacking 5m scrum
(b) Maul from a kick so we give a 5 metre scrum to Blue
(c) Something else

I think I know what my choice is but wondered if it can be affirmed here ( not saying yet to avoid pre-bias )

Thank you , you clever people. !

A

Depending on the competition this could be a Goal line drop out?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The key question is : has the maul ended successfully or unsuccessfully?

Once a maul moves into in goal it has ended successfully and the "use it or lose it" doesn't apply.

So, as others have said, answer is A

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just wondering if, the maul lasts for long enough and it certainly stops moving forward , so I could blow for unsuccessful end to the maul before it makes it into the in goal area ?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just wondering if, the maul lasts for long enough and it certainly stops moving forward , so I could blow for unsuccessful end to the maul before it makes it into the in goal area ?

Sure, traditionally you'll give the 9 a couple of warnings first so no gotchas, but yet, reward the defence (normally) for stopping the maul, here it would actually be the attacking team who get to keep the ball

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Sure, traditionally you'll give the 9 a couple of warnings first so no gotchas, but yet, reward the defence (normally) for stopping the maul, here it would actually be the attacking team who get to keep the ball

Not since the maul directly follows a kick in open play, surely?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not since the maul directly follows a kick in open play, surely?

Sorry, yes, a mental block I have, attacking team != team in possession, it’s the team who’s half you’re not in - I was right in terms of which team I meant, just wrong definition