Protocol awarding PT

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Premiership final, 5 mins in Matt Carley awards a PT in the corner .. even before he has blown the whistle he is running away from the scene (in the corner) in order to (as the law requires ) get under the posts to award the try.

And then subsequently comes back to the scene to issue the YC

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Premiership final, 5 mins in Matt Carley awards a PT in the corner .. even before he has blown the whistle he is running away from the scene (in the corner) in order to (as the law requires ) get under the posts to award the try.

Did he look cool or silly?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Nothing unusual there was there? The call was reasonable, he / the team got the number of the player, so under the sticks and card issued, or am I missing something?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Flish;374846d said:
......or am I missing something?

Unfortunately I think you may be missing something alright....
I think the OP may have an axe to grind. .....again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Maybe it needed to be closed!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shrug , many of the responses last time were to the effect that no decent ref ever starts off by running away from the action, it's reffing 101 to stay where you are and deal with any fallout and YC ... And only then stroll over to the posts.

So interesting to see the opposite (again)

I'll keep watching :wink:

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anyone care to venture a theory as to WHY the first thing that MC did was to run off away from the action ?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Comparing Apples with Oranges though aren’t you? Wasn’t there a flare up / handbags to deal with then? Here there’s no suggestion of that, he has an AR as close to the situation as him, so not really running away from anything?

I wouldn’t do that, just in case, but I don’t get back up

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, it worked out OK this time.
But why don't we just change the Law to remove the requirement to be under the posts ...

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But why don't we just change the Law to remove the requirement to be under the posts ...

Why, it does it’s job of communicating the decision to the crowd? The only problem (which you seem to see more than most) is the point in time when the ref chooses to make that signal? If some refs are prioritising the signal of other duties then that can be managed in feedback / mentoring - assuming others see the problem.

I learnt through experience not to be in a hurry to head to the posts, but again Apples vs Oranges, I’m on my own.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, but change the sequence and everyone is left not knowing the all important thing .. what is the decision?

Every other time you blow the whistle you immediately make a primary signal (for good reasons)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes, but change the sequence and everyone is left not knowing the all important thing .. what is the decision?

Every other time you blow the whistle you immediately make a primary signal (for good reasons)

I think you’re looking for a problem to a solution!

If someone goes down with a serious injury is your first instinct arm out for a scrum restart? If it all kicks off and fists everywhere do you signal a penalty? No, you probably, at best whistle time off / stop play in appropriate form, deal with the primary issue, then when appropriate signal. Same here

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
..and yet not, as the last two PT I have seen, first thing the ref did was run off to make primary signal ...

My simple idea is to change the signal, so that you t can be made on the spot, without having to move elsewhere

I will say no more and continue watching how PT are handled

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So far I have never seen a situation where I thought it mattered. The current signal plus location is clear to all, and the referee makes the judgement as to whether there is something more urgent to deal with first.

Delaying the signal does not matter.

The only time you are likely to to get confusion is when the relevant play is actually under the posts, and even then the automatic card will clarify the situation..

We already have 53 official signals. I see no value in adding another.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We already have 53 official signals. I see no value in adding another.

Adding ? We already have a special signal for PT, I am merely suggesting changing it, so that it can be awarded wherever the referee is standing

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
How about this one

I reckon that the ability to award a PT where you are standing would have useful for that ref

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I did warn you all. It's a pity that when you put someone on ignore, you see their posts quoted.