Interesting story reference tackle height. Where will it lead?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have no idea how you extrapolate from an article wholly about limiting contact in training, to a point about tackle height.

However, on the article, 15 minutes seems a very low limit given a game lasts 80 minutes. If the game is so dangerous contact training should be limited to 15 minutes, should people playing at all?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did I miss the bit about tackle height too?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have no idea how you extrapolate from an article wholly about limiting contact in training, to a point about tackle height.

However, on the article, 15 minutes seems a very low limit given a game lasts 80 minutes. If the game is so dangerous contact training should be limited to 15 minutes, should people playing at all?

I susepct that the limitation is, once again, aimed at the top end of the sport where they have concerns about day in, day out contact, and not Joe Schmoe who might trurn up to training once a week.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think this is aimed at the elite game. I suspect they are taking a leaf from the NFL's book. Fully padded-up (contact sessions) are strictly limited. They are entitled to only 16 during the whole of the pre-season, and I think they may not even able to hold any during the regular season as of this year. The games are different, and have different requirements, but I think coaches at the elite level are going to have to make big adjustments to the current training regimes.

Davers

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Even though a game may last 80 minutes the ball is only in play for an average of around 35 minutes. The amount of time any given player is in a contact situation is far less than 15 minutes.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Even though a game may last 80 minutes the ball is only in play for an average of around 35 minutes. The amount of time any given player is in a contact situation is far less than 15 minutes.

Indeed. It is quite rare for a player to make a dozen tackles in a game. Even in last night's All Blacks v Springboks game where over 200 tackles were made, the highest tackle count was 10 (Blackadder and de Jager), a couple of others had 9, 8 and three 7s.

Here is a quick review of the tackle numbers

2 players made 10
1 players made 9
1 players made 8
3 players made 7
5 players made 6
5 players made 5
4 players made 4
6 players made 3
5 players made 2
6 players made 1
8 players made 0

Most players make between 0 and 5 tackles per game. They execute a lot more tackles or tackle-like collisions in full contact training.

Last edited: