[Scrum] Off side how far

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
a. Once play in the scrum begins, the scrum-half of the team not in possession:
Takes up a position with both feet behind the ball and close to the scrum but not in the space between the flanker and the number eight or
b. Permanently retires to a point on the offside line either at that team’s hindmost foot, oXxx

Q. . How far from hind most foot can one stand .

a. Above says closer to scrum . Can we use same as guidance .

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Your question is not very clear to me...
I think you mean can the 9 of the team not in possession move laterally across the line of the hindmost foot to for example stand in line with the 10.

In my opinion yes they can but I've been told previously that this is not how it is intended to be interpreted!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Pretty sure Wayne Barnes said he could in his latest action man YouTube video!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
a) and b) are separate. If a), the scrum half is following the ball back to the rear of the scrum. "Close to the scrum" here is generally accepted to be within 1m.

For b), the scrum half can move along a line parallel to the base of the scrum as far/close to the scrum as they wish.

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think it is clear that according to law the SH can move along a line parallel to the base of the scrum as far/close to the scrum as they wish. (See Waynes video). I had an U15 game today, still under U14 regs, and denied that as an option as it just seems against the principles of allowing players to learn the game. ie I would allow it in a senior game, but not at U15. Thoughts?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think it is clear that according to law the SH can move along a line parallel to the base of the scrum as far/close to the scrum as they wish. (See Waynes video). I had an U15 game today, still under U14 regs, and denied that as an option as it just seems against the principles of allowing players to learn the game. ie I would allow it in a senior game, but not at U15. Thoughts?

What do the approate regs say about offside lines at the scrum?

If nothing, then the standard laws of the game stand.

In which case you blow the regs first, and standard laws afterwards.

Simples.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

it's an important part of rugby to know the laws and use them to your advantage, and to surprise the oppo -- it's how (for instance) a smaller, innovative team might outwit a larger, stronger team.

it would be very frustrating to find a ref who knows what you are doing is legal -- but pings it anyway.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Agreed, and I'm not sure I understand the lesson. They're "learning" a law that doesn't exist, and may rightly feel aggrieved when an opponent under a different ref is allowed to.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
it's an important part of rugby to know the laws and use them to your advantage, and to surprise the oppo -- it's how (for instance) a smaller, innovative team might outwit a larger, stronger team.

it would be very frustrating to find a ref who knows what you are doing is legal -- but pings it anyway.

Shit. Twice in a year we are in violent agreement.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Shit. Twice in a year we are in violent agreement.

You should look at it as bringing him round to your way of thinking :pepper::biggrin::biggrin:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
in fact, if you listen carefully I talk a lot of sense :)

This forum appears to me to be conducted through typing, not talking ...

:D

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

My thought is: Why do you think it is in your power to decide that you'll apply a law at one game but not another when the law is applicable to both?