Inexperienced professional!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
just saw this on the BBC website. not seen the incident however 2 weeks off for being an inexperienced professional rugby player:rolleyes:

Bath wing Will Muir has been handed a four-week suspension for making contact with the eye area of Leinster's Josh van der Flier.

The 26-year-old was cited following the first-half incident in last weekend's 45-20 defeat by the Irish side.
A disciplinary panel found that Muir should have been sent off for a reckless act.

But they reduced the six-week ban appropriate for a mid-range offence because of his inexperience.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The Elite level disciplinary outcomes are interesting.

Those who are red carded for bad tackles can get a week reduction by attending a coaching session.

Now, you may accuse me of being cynical, but that seems ass backwards and designed to reduce off field time for players. It's also not an option readily available down at grass roots where technique and coaching really will have an impact.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The Elite level disciplinary outcomes are interesting.

Those who are red carded for bad tackles can get a week reduction by attending a coaching session.
So a professional player, with professional coaches and DoRs, that will have been coached through not only club but representative and academy environments, needs to be coached how to tackle safely?

WTAF ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So a professional player, with professional coaches and DoRs, that will have been coached through not only club but representative and academy environments, needs to be coached how to tackle safely?

WTAF ?
Hard as it to believe, yes. As I said, I may be cynical, bu this smacks of ways of keeping people on the field as much as possible at the same time as saying tha you're being rigorous on discipline.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I guess it's similar to a celebrity staying out of gaol by agreeing to attend a detox for their addiction du jour