Seatbelt Tackles

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
On Sunday I had an experienced Club Referee say to me "seat belt tackles are legal now aren't they?"
It was more of a statement than a question.
He is not the first person to say this to me recently, I have had at least two coaches say the same thing.

Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone heard/seen anything official (I haven't).

I can only assume this has stemmed from Premiership Referees no longer penalising over the shoulder tackles unless they make contact with the head or neck.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Urban myth. these are high tackles and should be penalised.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I explained to the Club Ref there was no change in law and it was still to be penalised, but just wondered if anyone else was hearing this myth?

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Once again I think this is a result of the World Rugby clarification on Head Contact from March 21. The first question is has head contact occured, if no, play on. The first video clip features Nigel Owens calling play on following a seatbelt tackle which is deemed legal because there was no contact with either the head, neck or throat.

Link here: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/18

So it seems they may be legal if there is only contact with the shoulders and not the neck or above

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There was some new guidance (AIUI) to the elite refs

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I yellow carded a seatbelt tackle at the weekend, low impact / degree of danger, a 'technical' high tackle I suppose, but midway into the 22, not a PT as cover, but still - no arguments really, and assessor had no issues with it