WB shows YC for swearing

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Players have to accept a slight variation from referees in the application of laws. So don’t they have to accept a variation in the acceptance or otherwise of the use of particular forms of language? I personally accepted a small amount of ’language’ that arose out of frustration. I did not accept continued habitual use directed at anyone. Even themselves!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Players have to accept a slight variation from referees in the application of laws.
but we should do our best to eliminate this ... not embrace it.

Imagine in cricket if a no-ball (for example) was adjudicated differently around the world

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
but we should do our best to eliminate this ... not embrace it.

Imagine in cricket if a no-ball (for example) was adjudicated differently around the world
A no ball in cricket is a more black or white situation than a high tackle or dangerous tackle in rugby, or even excessive roll at a tackle.
I would never say embrace differences in interpretation. I think we are both experienced enough to know that we are never going to eliminate it.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Guys you have gone completely off topic and not in a good way (posts about middle east).
Bring it back to Mr Barnes please. If this conversation continues (in this thread) I may have to delete it (the conversation not the thread).
Thanks
MOD

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can see the fors and againsts for giving and not giving the card, but a sign that WB wasn't thinking the most clearly in the situation is that he is miced up and proceeds to repeatedly swear by saying the actual words. Not doing that is a thing learned at a low-level when the game is being recorded for any purpose, never mind a game live on television.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Guys you have gone completely off topic and not in a good way (posts about middle east).
Bring it back to Mr Barnes please. If this conversation continues (in this thread) I may have to delete it.
Thanks
MOD
some irony ... we have segued from a ref over-reacting to a comment to a mod over-reacting to a comment ;)

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I can see the fors and againsts for giving and not giving the card, but a sign that WB wasn't thinking the most clearly in the situation is that he is miced up and proceeds to repeatedly swear by saying the actual words. Not doing that is a thing learned at a low-level when the game is being recorded for any purpose, never mind a game live on television.
My last round robin match last year was a dead rubber, 6v7 and both teams not even mathematical chances. Black whined constantly all day about high tackles and every other minor infringement from the oppo team Green who are well known for hard islander style running and tackling who were also whining about the remaining part of the law book and frankly I was at boiling point. There were three PK high tackles in the match, with one of those a YC. Black ball carrier makes a break and runs through before tripping over his own feet and headbutting the chest of the tackler - completely the fault of the BC. Black all yell "high, high, high" and I screamed "not f*cking high". Clearly I lost control of myself in the match and IMO the two YC that I'd given 5 minutes before which were the no explanation, no talk style that WB did here showed that I'd lost it. Not taking the time for a breath and to calm the two teams ended up in me taking that extra pressure onboard and I lost it.

I think WB may have been at that point here in reacting and not refereeing.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think there is no comparrison between you (who clearly lost it) and WB who correctly dealt with the player.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I think there is no comparrison between you (who clearly lost it) and WB who correctly dealt with the player.

i'm with marc here. it's not unknown for WB to react quickly to such things, like he did with Dylan Hartley was was talking to himself apparently when he looked squarely at WB and said "f*cking cheat".

if he was likely to "lose it", i'd imagine the powers that be would have identified the signs and would have stood him down from that level.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
i'm with marc here. it's not unknown for WB to react quickly to such things, like he did with Dylan Hartley was was talking to himself apparently when he looked squarely at WB and said "f*cking cheat".

if he was likely to "lose it", i'd imagine the powers that be would have identified the signs and would have stood him down from that level.
Are you implying that WB overreacted in the aforementioned Hartley incident?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I didn't claim he lost it (or didn't mean to) but that WB was at a point where he reacted rather than refereed calmly.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As an aside, TV rugby has a massive swearing problem at the moment (IMO) I don't want to have regular F words audible from my TV all Sunday afternoon, as was the case yesterday

That is not chiefly one for referees, the sport has to decide the standard here (refs can enforce)
As an aside to your aside - possibly a consequence of the pitch-side mics? Do we really need them? (Unlike the ref mic which I do find useful.)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As an aside to your aside - possibly a consequence of the pitch-side mics? Do we really need them? (Unlike the ref mic which I do find useful.)
Agreed! We had (semi pro rugby) a TV game with had to wait to start (Both halves) whilst a cameraman stood on the half way taking "close up"shots of the referee they also run on the pitch during stoppages to take "close up" shots of players. BBC Wales even tries to carry out interviews with players during "down time"

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Back on topic - when I coached I always told my kids they need to understand the ref, as each one is slightly different in their interpretation of the laws and adjust their play to match. WB is known for carding for swearing, the players should be aware of that - especially when already on a card.

Personally, I‘m not sure I’d sanction for this specific outburst — partly because as it is described I’m not sure I’d hear it as swearing directed at me. Just because the player is looking at me doesn’t mean it isn’t just honest surprise.

However, without being on the pitch at that moment - or experiencing any other factors on the pitch prior to this incident - I have to accept that WB at that moment felt that that the swearing was both directed at him and sufficient to warrant a YC.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Which means he lost it.
I thought WB was losing it prior to the DH RC - not that that excuses the decision he made.

I always thought the way he trying to communicate with Myler about the 22m restart was bordering on exasperation and then when Myler ballsed it up it was a perfect storm.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't think having had enough of a players behaviour means you've lost it. I think it just means that the point has arrived when "having a chat" and "managing it" is over and tough calls need to be made.