Knock on going into touch in goal

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Please can someone help confirm my assumption? Under the new/experimental laws:
The ball is knocked on by the attacking side and goes through the in goal and over the dead ball line or into touch in goal without being touched. I assume the defence gets the option of a 5m scrum and they put in or a 22m drop out.

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Not sure why they would opt for the scrum incidentally but assume they could.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There is no charnge.

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Meaning my assumption is right?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Clarify your assumption please. .

The knock on is in the ingoal area or from the field of play through the ingoal area!

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Sorry, just re-read and realised I wasn’t clear. My question was from the field of play though the in goal. I’d be interested in the answer of it was in goal too though!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Knock on in the ingoal results in GLDO irrespective of where the ball ends up.

Knock on in the field of play results in a scrum.

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thank you. Scrum if it is in field of play regardless of where it ends up?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
knock on into touch = options (scrum lineout)
knock on into in goal and right through to the DBL/TIG = scrum. I don't think any option available for this

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
knock on into touch = options (scrum lineout)
knock on into in goal and right through to the DBL/TIG = scrum. I don't think any option available for this
Could it be an option for placement of the scrum, either at the 5m for ball going beyond DBL/TIG or from farther out if the knock on happened farther from the goal line than 5 meters?

Jonathan355

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
That sounds very logical. I asked the question the way I did because the knock on was within 5m of try line.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Could it be an option for placement of the scrum, either at the 5m for ball going beyond DBL/TIG or from farther out if the knock on happened farther from the goal line than 5 meters?
Sure ...the mark for the scrum would be at the place of the knock on. Provided not within 5m of touch/goal lines.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think so, the location of the scrum would be where the ko happened (brought 5m in from goal line/touch of course).

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I don't think so, the location of the scrum would be where the ko happened (brought 5m in from goal line/touch of course).
I was wondering about a scenario where the knock on happened more than 5 meters from the goal line and ball then went into in-goal and either beyond dead ball line or into touch in goal. 5m scrum seems standard but, for conversation’s sake, would defending team technically have the option of scrum from the place of the knock on (farther out than 5m) if they wanted it?

If I misunderstood your response and you already clarified your thoughts on this specifically, I apologize. I was thinking when ball goes into touch from a knock on in the field of play, opponents have the choice of a scrum or a line out and was curious if the consensus would be that we could apply the same thinking here.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was wondering about a scenario where the knock on happened more than 5 meters from the goal line and ball then went into in-goal and either beyond dead ball line or into touch in goal. 5m scrum seems standard but, for conversation’s sake, would defending team technically have the option of scrum from the place of the knock on (farther out than 5m) if they wanted it?

There is no option to be had in this scenario, its a scrum from where the offence occured. The GLDO is only awarded if the knock-on happens in goal.